General Back four contracts

Unfortunately, he is (in my opinion) not the player he was before his injury - I suspect we won't get very much for him in January. And I doubt he will get a move to a halfway decent Championship club, but I think he will want to move anyway to try to freshen his career up.

What a ridiculous comment.
We would have had to have got to the Championship to have had any chance of keeping him.
We have remained in League 1.

We were legitimately aiming for the championship when he signed. Now we are aiming to stay in league 1.

Big difference.

Do you mean the (33 year old) Brazilian wizard that turned down a new contract .....

On reduced wages. And I have no idea why you quote his age Stanley Mathews and others have played at a higher level than this in there fifties. Skill will beat youth 9 times out of 10.

I imagine he originally wanted to better himself with us when we were pretending to aim for the Championship.

I certainly dont think 2 relegation battles was what he signed up for.

I didn’t realise you were mystic meg and can see we will be in this same position in March.

Oh and it’s not a relegation battle in the beginning of November. Especially when we are on a 6 game unbeaten run in the league and scored 9 goals in 3 games in all competitions.

I didn’t realise you were mystic meg and can see we will be in this same position in March.

Oh and it’s not a relegation battle in the beginning of November. Especially when we are on a 6 game unbeaten run in the league and scored 9 goals in 3 games in all competitions.

Why are you even indulging this guy. He is an imbecile.

I imagine he originally wanted to better himself with us when we were pretending to aim for the Championship.

I certainly dont think 2 relegation battles was what he signed up for.
"Pretending to aim for the championship"??? You really are a bell-end coming out with comments like that. Yes, you can have your own thoughts on OUFC but that is a completely rubbish statement.

** These are my thoughts and are nothing to do with OxVox **

"Pretending to aim for the championship"??? You really are a bell-end coming out with comments like that. Yes, you can have your own thoughts on OUFC but that is a completely rubbish statement.

** These are my thoughts and are nothing to do with OxVox **

Mind you, I’m on nobody’s side btw bar OUFC BUT he has got a point, we haven’t exactly stormed this league, however we do seem to be improving quickly which is good, just hope this further investor comes on board sooner rather than later - Kassam Out!

Nelson only came here because he thought we would challenge and of course we haven’t so it’s enevitable that he will move on. I suppose we should have sold him in the summer while he still had a value, but we didn’t so he will walk for nothing next year and getting £500k for him in January is pie in the sky in my view.

I was recently told that a Scottish premiership club were really interested in Nelson ( not the big two ) but couldn’t believe what he was on at Oxford and couldn’t afford him.

We could hardly have sold him in the summer as he had just returned from a serious injury.
I could see him going for close to £500k in January.
He is a quality ball playing defender who I reckon could step up to the Championship.

He will go to Leeds. We wont get a fortune for him but if he isnt going to sign we cant afford to turn down any fee which if amortised works out to be 20k a game. Just hopefully get some good sell on clauses. Given we supported and paid him through his injuries, surely the player should work with the club if he is moving on to make sure they benefit too. Sign an extra year and place him on the list. He can play higher level and a couple of million difference is then seen as a development premium and makes no difference to Championship and above.

He will go to Leeds. We wont get a fortune for him but if he isnt going to sign we cant afford to turn down any fee which if amortised works out to be 20k a game. Just hopefully get some good sell on clauses. Given we supported and paid him through his injuries, surely the player should work with the club if he is moving on to make sure they benefit too. Sign an extra year and place him on the list. He can play higher level and a couple of million difference is then seen as a development premium and makes no difference to Championship and above.

He’d be mad to sign an extra year just to move on. Means he won’t get a big signing on fee, would put off potential suitors and if he got a bad injury he’d be screwed.

He’ll either go in January for a relatively small fee which claws back a bit we spent for him or, more likely, he’ll sort himself out post-January and leave for nowt in the Summer.

If he helps keep us up, I wouldn’t begrudge him a move up the leagues (or to Sunderland which I’m sure is a possibility!)

He’d be mad to sign an extra year just to move on. Means he won’t get a big signing on fee, would put off potential suitors and if he got a bad injury he’d be screwed.

He’ll either go in January for a relatively small fee which claws back a bit we spent for him or, more likely, he’ll sort himself out post-January and leave for nowt in the Summer.

If he helps keep us up, I wouldn’t begrudge him a move up the leagues (or to Sunderland which I’m sure is a possibility!)

Ah just a thought, long shot! ..... This moving for free when your contract finishes, came in about 20 years ago, under something called the Bosman ruling, some Belgian player, won his case in the European Courts. Prior to this, if the club held the registration, albeit contract finished you could get a fee. Therefore, if we get clean Brexit and this country is NOT under EC legislation does this ruling still hold!?

We could hardly have sold him in the summer as he had just returned from a serious injury.
I could see him going for close to £500k in January.
He is a quality ball playing defender who I reckon could step up to the Championship.
Why would anyone pay that sort of money for him in January when he is out of contract in the summer and also if you were Nelson surely you would wait and see what offers come in.

I think we will lose Nelson.
Smith has shown nothing and will go back if possible, along with other loanees hopefully.
We will lose Browne, January if brought or the end of the season.
Mous should try and keep.
I think there will be a lot of movement in the Jan window.[/QUOTE

We sign a few and that has risks in itself - people here about McMahon etc! - but predominantly strategy will be to mix in as many "top" loanees who we could otherwise never afford. If they gel then then great, and with the new board addition we may have some serious cash to push us on in the January window, but is that going to happen if we are tailed off or also rans come Christmas? Contracts and none performers means an inevitable further shake up end of season, whilst some of our better performers get a year older. A manager only has a couple of windows and above all else needs to be ready for any eventuality and have a strong start. Luck has nothing to do with it. Too disjointed in selection and there is surely much more to come from many. Smith could easily go on and score 30 from here. Its a confidence thing and if he scores 3 tonight he will get a run and be unstoppable. They all have it within. If not, theres always Nile Granger. SWSWSWN - (Some will, some wont, so what...next!)

I think people a presuming that we were going to be challengers this year, I would think it would be next season when all the financial clout is in place and available.

Would argue in this league only teams up there challenging spend proper money in January. For the rest its a year of consolidation and planning end of year clearouts until you find a team/combination who gets off the blocks smartly. If a horse with ability always refuses to race, you generally change the trainer. If we flatter to improve without challenging then at least we are going the right way, but I dont think any manager (where there is real ambition) gets more than 2 bites of the cherry to get a good start and the million dollar question is whether the board feel Robinson can spend/recruit well next season and do this - if not then hey need to make changes - I suspect he is possibly not the golden boy they hoped

Why would anyone pay that sort of money for him in January when he is out of contract in the summer and also if you were Nelson surely you would wait and see what offers come in.
Because when he is OOC theres a lot more competition for his signature on a free. Great for the player but not the club. Anyone nipping in and picking him up in January, before he is OOC, can maybe sign him under the radar and beat the rush for a lot less than others would pay in summer. If he doesnt sign we need to transfer list him in advance of the January window. We cannot give him away on a free. The whole back four have contracts up - not ITK but seems that possibly where the falling outs/divides have been (Norman etc) so probably Curtis just cannot wait to get away.

Would argue in this league only teams up there challenging spend proper money in January. For the rest its a year of consolidation and planning end of year clearouts until you find a team/combination who gets off the blocks smartly. If a horse with ability always refuses to race, you generally change the trainer. If we flatter to improve without challenging then at least we are going the right way, but I dont think any manager (where there is real ambition) gets more than 2 bites of the cherry to get a good start and the million dollar question is whether the board feel Robinson can spend/recruit well next season and do this - if not then hey need to make changes - I suspect he is possibly not the golden boy they hoped
KR hasn't shown to date the expected promise after the effort to get him here, with the stuff behind the scenes starting to gather momentum we need someone strong enough to leads us on the pitch, give KR another window and he wastes it are we really any further forward and ready for next years push.

KR hasn't shown to date the expected promise after the effort to get him here, with the stuff behind the scenes starting to gather momentum we need someone strong enough to leads us on the pitch, give KR another window and he wastes it are we really any further forward and ready for next years push.
Exactly. Another year of consolidation all put down to bad luck. Highly paid profession. No second chances? Think we will get a cash injection in summer to buy some decent players and have a push. Not confident under what Ive seen from KR we still wont end up with crocks

Back
Top Bottom