General Back four contracts

DannyW

Concentration seems to be solely on what is going to happen with Nelson in January or the summer, but we have lost sight I think that Mous, Raglan, and Long are out of contract in the summer as well.

I reckon that we will let Raglan and Long go.
Will probably try and keep Mous.

Talking to Plymouth fans before the recent game, they reckoned we got a cracking player in Nelson and they would love him back. Reality is ‘ money talks and if an offer comes in from the championship he might well go.
Our form has improved so much but still anchored in the bottom four. Even if we win on Saturday we might well be seven games unbeaten, having conceded only three goals away, kept numerous clean sheets, and scoring plenty of goals.
Gavin Whyte is coming across as a very good player. Smith and Branagan at last showing what they can do. Browne is looking a much better player too. Eastwood returning was a godsend.
Ricky Holmes frightens defences too.
I just hope we can keep all these players on board

Concentration seems to be solely on what is going to happen with Nelson in January or the summer, but we have lost sight I think that Mous, Raglan, and Long are out of contract in the summer as well.

I reckon that we will let Raglan and Long go.
Will probably try and keep Mous.

I think we should make sure that we have good replacements before we let any players go. Does anyone remember the Brazilian wizard that KR got rid of? We have been struggling at left back ever since.

I think we will lose Nelson.
Smith has shown nothing and will go back if possible, along with other loanees hopefully.
We will lose Browne, January if brought or the end of the season.
Mous should try and keep.
I think there will be a lot of movement in the Jan window.

It all depends on the offer we get for Nelson in January I wouldn’t sell for anything less than £500k+ as we have a sell on fee to give to Plymouth as part of the tribunal case back in 2016 so i’d rather keep someone who’s going to vital for the rest of the season than get a couple of hundred grand

Raglan a decent back up but never gets a look in as they switch Mousinho into CB position if anything ever happens to Nel or Dickie so I expect him to move on
(So possibly 2 centre backs gone by January)

Long don’t see him fitting in to the team imo & I hear people say he never lets you down but the two game he played against Manchester City & Wimbledon the we’re 3 goals which we conceded from he could of done a lot better from (& I know it was Man City what do you expect before anyone mentions)

Mousinho is never a good enough centreback yet he’s played 50+ games for us there in that position since playing in midfield in front of the back four he’s been excellent if we keep him it’s has to be for that position where he’s played most of his career

Add Left back to come in January as Garbutt got no consistency to stay in the team a make shift left back is out performing over the last half a dozen games

With Nelson, it all depends on if the club believe they have a replacement they can get in January. You'd be a fool to turn down money that you can use to help do other business, even if Plymouth have a piece of the pie.

I wouldn't be sad to see Raglan or Long go - both ok players but I don't think they are what we really need long term.

With Nelson, it all depends on if the club believe they have a replacement they can get in January. You'd be a fool to turn down money that you can use to help do other business, even if Plymouth have a piece of the pie.

I wouldn't be sad to see Raglan or Long go - both ok players but I don't think they are what we really need long term.

You have to survive in the short term to get to the long term.

Could always recall Kelleher in January and give him an opportunity to show whether he can play at League 1 standard. Unfortunately I think our dire start to the season will scupper this as we are clearly nowhere near settled in the league; it was only points gained in the first half of last season that gave Robinson any foundation to organise an escape route last time round.

Could always recall Kelleher in January and give him an opportunity to show whether he can play at League 1 standard. Unfortunately I think our dire start to the season will scupper this as we are clearly nowhere near settled in the league; it was only points gained in the first half of last season that gave Robinson any foundation to organise an escape route last time round.
Mmm. Kelleher from the worst team in the league to potentially replace Nelson?
No thanks whether we are halfway or bottom 4 at the time.

We need another 36 points to survive in league 1 and with a maximum of only 24 points available before January if Tiger wants to survive in this league he will need to keep Nelson and take the hit on transfer income IMO

Usually Macclesfield use eleven players on the pitch at any one time. Bit harsh to dismiss one player on this basis.

You have to survive in the short term to get to the long term.
But equally, it's clear neither in the clubs plans, so costing wages and so forth that can be used elsewhere. Plus, they'd be better off getting game time elsewhere

Does anyone remember the Brazilian wizard that KR got rid of? We have been struggling at left back ever since.

Do you mean the (33 year old) Brazilian wizard that turned down a new contract .....

Usually Macclesfield use eleven players on the pitch at any one time. Bit harsh to dismiss one player on this basis.
I am not dismissing him.
I am suggesting that it would be a huge risk to suggest that we replace out best defender with somebody getting dropped from the worst team in the football league by a distance. Would you take that risk as manager? And not try and get a proven quality defender?

Nelson will be off in the new year if a club is willing to pay for him now. Any money for a player has been open by telling the club he won’t be signing a new contract is a bonus.

The likely option is that Nelson will see the season out here but sign a pre contract with a new club in the new year and in turn will get a bumper signing on fee due to the club he is signing for not needing to fork out money to pay us.

Nelson will be off in the new year if a club is willing to pay for him now. Any money for a player has been open by telling the club he won’t be signing a new contract is a bonus.

The likely option is that Nelson will see the season out here but sign a pre contract with a new club in the new year and in turn will get a bumper signing on fee due to the club he is signing for not needing to fork out money to pay us.

Yep it will be a Rothwell situation.

Such a shame that the club has regressed so much that keeping Nelson is a pipe dream.

Yep it will be a Rothwell situation.

Such a shame that the club has regressed so much that keeping Nelson is a pipe dream.

How does Nelson wanting to better himself mean the club has regressed.

As with Ledson, Roofe, Rothwell, Nelson and Brannagan they use a club like ours as a stepping stone to move up to a bigger club/higher league.

It’s better if we appreciate the fact we have the in the first place rather than to use it as a stick to beat the club with.

I imagine he originally wanted to better himself with us when we were pretending to aim for the Championship.

I certainly dont think 2 relegation battles was what he signed up for.

Back
Top Bottom