Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

I really hope the squad size cap is scrapped, but if it isn't then I think people will get their wish of the youth team featuring on the bench more often. The fact we may have to release someone like Forde or Sykes or both just because we have Cooper and Clare contracted (I think DOY will go) is barbaric, not just for us but for the players across the league that get released as the 22 player cap drops to 20. The league will get filled with premier league loans and, as always, the people that benefit will be those at the top of the pyramid as us minnows train their players in a desperate attempt to escape this division.

I could see a logic in a salary cap but thought it was set far too low originally but the Squad limit is just stupid especially at 20 or 22. It should be down to the club to decide if they want to spend it on 20 players or 35 players etc as long as it is within the salary cap assuming that comes back.

PFA arguing for a squad cap of 25 players ( over 21) across Championship, L1 & L2 .... EFL sticking to limits of 25 Championship, & 20 for L1 & L2 .... Id think squad limit of 25 (over 21) players is (just) about right ... EFL claim they have the backing of the majority of Champ', L1 & L2 clubs for their limit/ cap.... Who will blink first?

Oh well, according to people on here we have massively promising young players who are better than the professionals and should be playing, so we would be fine with a squad of 20.

I think I have misunderstood as I was working, clearly wrongly, that you were comparing them directly.
My bad - I meant ‘more trusted’ as in Appleton makes them more appealing to Prem clubs than they would be normally, rather than more trusted than us with young players.

From an assets perspective, picking up well coached Prem youngsters and selling them on has worked well for us (Lundstram, Ledson, Roofe) so would hope a couple like Browne or Holland come in this summer.

A 20 man senior player squad limit for a 46 game season plus 3 cup competitions is ridiculous, I am all for giving our young players a chance but we can do that without a ridiculously low limit. It will make a farce of next season if this goes ahead, but I sometimes wonder if the football league would rather leagues 1/2 just pissed off and they can get on with running the championship as they never hinder those clubs with these rules.

A 20 man senior player squad limit for a 46 game season plus 3 cup competitions is ridiculous, I am all for giving our young players a chance but we can do that without a ridiculously low limit. It will make a farce of next season if this goes ahead, but I sometimes wonder if the football league would rather leagues 1/2 just pissed off and they can get on with running the championship as they never hinder those clubs with these rules.
EFL admin board is, IMO, rather like Lord of The Rings, with 9 Board members

The Nine. The nine rings for mortal men "Nine for mortal men doomed to die..." The nine rings for mortal men were those divided amongst those men doomed to become the Nazgûl, the Ringwraiths. These ring-bearers held rings that were under control by Sauron, Richard Masters of The Premier League, for they became evil servants of him.

The current 9 EFL board members are ...

The EFL Board of Directors is responsible for providing the organisation's strategic direction.

The board consists of nine directors, six of whom are divisional representatives elected by member clubs. The divisional representatives include three directors from Championship clubs, two from League One clubs and one from a League Two club. The remaining three directors are independent of clubs and include the interim chair, the chief executive and an independent non-executive director.

Rick Parry

Chairman

One of the UK’s most experienced leaders in football, Rick Parry - Chairman of the EFL Board - served as both chief executive of the Premier League between 1991 and 1997, and Liverpool Football Club between 1997 and 2009.
Vastly experienced, his main contribution to the formation of the Premier League was the introduction of a governance structure which included the formula for the sharing of TV revenues among Clubs. A formula which remained unchanged for 25 years.
In 2008, a year in which the University of Liverpool awarded him an honorary doctorate for his services to the City of Liverpool, Parry was also elected to the Board of the European Club Association. Since leaving Liverpool the following year, he has carried out a variety of football related consultancy projects in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the UAE, Jordan, the US and Mexico.
Parry carried out two assignments for the UK government – joining the Sports Betting Integrity Panel in 2009 and advising the DCMS Select Committee on its football governance review in 2011.
In September 2016, he was elected to the Investigatory Chamber of UEFA’s Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Control Board, having been nominated by the European Club Association. He stepped down in October 2019.
Parry brings a wealth of knowledge to the EFL, and will be responsible for overseeing the growth and development of the EFL, with the aim of ensuring the continued strength of EFL competitions, commercial success and governance.
Trevor Birch
Chief Executive

Appointed as Chief Executive in January 2021, Trevor Birch has held several prominent roles within football, including Chief Executive at Chelsea, Everton, Leeds United, Sheffield United and Derby County, as well as Chair of Swansea City and most recently, Director of Football Operations at Tottenham Hotspur.
A former professional footballer, Birch started out as an apprentice at Liverpool, aged 16, before going on to represent Shrewsbury Town and Chester as a player. Following retirement from the professional game, he gained a first class degree in Accountancy before qualifying as a chartered accountant with Ernst & Young.
In 2002, he was appointed Chief Executive of Chelsea, where he led the £180million sale to Roman Abramovich in 2003, before going on to be Chief Executive at Leeds United, Everton, Sheffield United and Derby County.
Birch brings a wealth of industry experience to the EFL, his acumen and vast expertise working with notable Clubs invaluable to the EFL.
Debbie Jevans CBE

Senior Independent Non-Executive Director

Debbie Jevans joined the Board of the EFL in 2014, with her addition bringing an independent voice to its decision-making process.

A former professional tennis player, Jevans is on the Board of Sport England and was voted the most influential woman in British Sport in early 2014 by the Guardian. Previously she was Director of Sport for LOCOG - organisers of the London 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.

Debbie was awarded a CBE in the 2013 New Year’s Honours List in recognition for her services to sport and the London 2012 Game, she was also awarded the Olympic Order by the IOC in the same year.

Simon Bazalgette

Independent Non-Executive Director

Considered to be one of the most influential figures in UK sport, Bazalgette has been head of The Jockey Club, the largest commercial group in British horse racing, for more than a decade. Prior to that, he was the founding Chairman of Racecourse Media Group (RMG), which manages the media rights of more than half the racecourses in the UK.

He remains a non-executive director of RMG, as well as the Racecourse Association; Great British Racing the sport’s marketing arm; and Britbet, which manages the pool betting service at 55 British racecourses.

Bazalgette, who is a lifelong Brentford supporter, has considerable experience of working in multi-stakeholder environments, where the ability to build and maintain mutually-beneficial relationships is essential to long-term sustainability and prosperity, such as between the League and its Members.

His sporting credentials were further enhanced when he became Senior Independent Non-Executive Director of the London 2017 IAAF World Championships, the most successful world athletics and para-athletics games ever staged.

At the 2019 AGM, Clubs ratified the appointment of Bazalgette to the position of Independent Non-Executive Director.

Club representatives

Mark Ashton - Championship Director – Bristol City

Stephen Pearce - Championship Director – Derby County

Nigel Howe - Championship Director – Reading

Jez Moxey - League One Director – Burton Albion

Steven Curwood - League One Director - Fleetwood Town

John Nixon - League Two Director – Carlisle United

Last edited:
A 20 man senior player squad limit for a 46 game season plus 3 cup competitions is ridiculous, I am all for giving our young players a chance but we can do that without a ridiculously low limit. It will make a farce of next season if this goes ahead
Yes, I haven’t really seen this point enough to be honest. A 20 man squad limit? Even international tournaments allow 23 and that’s much lower - plus they’re talking about increasing them at the moment. If you were sat in the meeting where they agreed squad size limits you surely wouldn’t even consider going lower than 23, and more like 25 would be a reasonable area (although I disagree with them entirely - it’s the same money if you pay one player £10k a week or ten players £1k a week)

Yes, I haven’t really seen this point enough to be honest. A 20 man squad limit? Even international tournaments allow 23 and that’s much lower - plus they’re talking about increasing them at the moment. If you were sat in the meeting where they agreed squad size limits you surely wouldn’t even consider going lower than 23, and more like 25 would be a reasonable area (although I disagree with them entirely - it’s the same money if you pay one player £10k a week or ten players £1k a week)

You used to get a 22 man squad for the euros when it only had 8 teams in it and you could only use two subs a game. I am guessing the reason is to force league one and two clubs to take a lot of youngsters from the championship on loan as they won’t come under the squad size cap and essentially turn them into feeder leagues for the championship, as that is all the FL cares about.

It should get scrapped in court as it’s a genuine restraint of trade against older lower league footballers.

Where that leaves the relationship between the FL/Championship and league one/two though is interesting, the FL have essentially made moves to harm lower league football in this country, I reckon we will see another split with the championship going off on there own like the premier league.

I could see a logic in a salary cap but thought it was set far too low originally but the Squad limit is just stupid especially at 20 or 22. It should be down to the club to decide if they want to spend it on 20 players or 35 players etc as long as it is within the salary cap assuming that comes back.
Don't come here with sensible ideas like that, appalling behaviour

Last I heard there was an appeal against the ruling, so it’s technically ‘as is’ until that appeal is settled. The PFA are more concerned about the squad cap element than the salary cap one as it prevents employment, rather than the amount a player can be paid. They’d much rather have players able to sign for a club for less money than not have them able to sign for a club at all. It’s an ongoing mess that was a complete nonsense to begin with.

PFA arguing for a squad cap of 25 players ( over 21) across Championship, L1 & L2 .... EFL sticking to limits of 25 Championship, & 20 for L1 & L2 .... Id think squad limit of 25 (over 21) players is (just) about right ... EFL claim they have the backing of the majority of Champ', L1 & L2 clubs for their limit/ cap.... Who will blink first?

Ta daaaaaaa.

The PFA should go legal on this.
A ridiculous rule
They’re willing to go as far as they can. Squad caps put hundreds of players out of work for no reason across the EFL divisions. It’s nobody’s business how many players a club chooses to have, so long as they adhere to the restrictions financially. Whether a club spends their budget on 20 players or 30 players shouldn’t be anybody’s business what so ever.

The EFL are simply digging in and doubling down because they can’t be seen to have been totally wrong and incompetent with the rulings they rushed through last summer. The Prem is also keen for EFL clubs to be able to own as few players as possible, as it means they can hoard more talent in their U23 and academy sides instead of having to pay money to sign them from the likes of us.

It’s a crime against football and I really hope the PFA win out on this in the end.

They’re willing to go as far as they can. Squad caps put hundreds of players out of work for no reason across the EFL divisions. It’s nobody’s business how many players a club chooses to have, so long as they adhere to the restrictions financially. Whether a club spends their budget on 20 players or 30 players shouldn’t be anybody’s business what so ever.

The EFL are simply digging in and doubling down because they can’t be seen to have been totally wrong and incompetent with the rulings they rushed through last summer. The Prem is also keen for EFL clubs to be able to own as few players as possible, as it means they can hoard more talent in their U23 and academy sides instead of having to pay money to sign them from the likes of us.

It’s a crime against football and I really hope the PFA win out on this in the end.
If they don't budge, it probably means another year of existing squad caps while the case is heard

OK. Say that the squad limit next season is 20 players plus youngsters.
It is decided that we can only keep one of Henry, Forde or Sykes (I would keep 2 but say just 1)
Who would you keep

OK. Say that the squad limit next season is 20 players plus youngsters.
It is decided that we can only keep one of Henry, Forde or Sykes (I would keep 2 but say just 1)
Who would you keep
Obviously Henry, but this just shows why the squad limit of 20 would be ridiculous. I’m not sure the other two would be first choices but you need good squad players like that. Just a thought, but if the club expected a limit of 20 next season would they have given Eastwood a new contract?

Back
Top Bottom