Home Match Day Thread 29/12/23: L1 - OUFC v Derby County

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You’re not getting it which doesn’t surprise me.
Indeed, the first sentence in the post you just quoted pretty much stated this. I’m not surprised at your lack of surprise, it suggests you read what I wrote.
I’m not advocating pressing but you’ve chosen to ignore that because it supports your weak argument.
Honestly I have no idea what you’re advocating, which again I think was made pretty clear in the post you responded to. It seems you just didn’t get it, which doesn’t surprise me.
It’s quite simple, you’ve got to set up the team braver by not having people sit deep when overloads are happening on the flanks and supporting midfielders with quality like Hourihane are not marked and whipping balls in.
Instead of telling me what the team are set up not to do, I asked what they should do.

If people are not sitting deep, what are they doing when the other team has possession? Closing them down? You mean pressing? Surely not, because you’re “not adovocating pressing”?

Marking their midfielders? Do their midfielders stand still for 90 minutes? Clearly not, because that’s how overloads happen. So we need players with the energy to follow them round when they move, so that they are under pressure when they receive the ball? Surely not, because you’re “not advocating pressing”?

Long story short, if you don’t sit deep, you press. Sitting deep is by definition the opposite of following the opposition players and putting them under pressure when they receive the ball. Saying you’re not advocating pressing whilst saying that we can’t sit deep suggests you don’t know what one of those terms means.
From the sounds of it you weren’t at the game.
Into the territory of you being objectively wrong, rather than it just being my opinion.

I am very open about the games I don’t attend, ask @ECYellow.

Our midfielder was completely bypassed and might have well have not been there due to them starting and defending from deep positions but don’t let the facts of what happened interfere with your argument!
i agree that we lost because of the pressure invited by sitting deep.

I dispute that the players who started the game had the energy, and the substitutes who were brought on the athleticism, to do otherwise.

My argument has never been anything else, and doesn’t contradict what you said here.

As you’ve been so rude, it would be very funny if you hadn’t understood my point.

I think we could have made a difference just by leaving one or two players forward at their set pieces, meaning they'd have to cover them. It gives us an out ball if we clear, and means the incessant pressure can be relieved at times. They knew they had nothing to worry about from us, that was the trouble.

Anyway, this is old news now, another day, another game.

I think we could have made a difference just by leaving one or two players forward at their set pieces, meaning they'd have to cover them. It gives us an out ball if we clear, and means the incessant pressure can be relieved at times. They knew they had nothing to worry about from us, that was the trouble.

Anyway, this is old news now, another day, another game.
Derby made us look silly and we didn’t handle them at all, but we made Burton look silly and they’ve bounced back well. Let’s hope we can do the same

Indeed, the first sentence in the post you just quoted pretty much stated this. I’m not surprised at your lack of surprise, it suggests you read what I wrote.

Honestly I have no idea what you’re advocating, which again I think was made pretty clear in the post you responded to. It seems you just didn’t get it, which doesn’t surprise me.

Instead of telling me what the team are set up not to do, I asked what they should do.

If people are not sitting deep, what are they doing when the other team has possession? Closing them down? You mean pressing? Surely not, because you’re “not adovocating pressing”?

Marking their midfielders? Do their midfielders stand still for 90 minutes? Clearly not, because that’s how overloads happen. So we need players with the energy to follow them round when they move, so that they are under pressure when they receive the ball? Surely not, because you’re “not advocating pressing”?

Long story short, if you don’t sit deep, you press. Sitting deep is by definition the opposite of following the opposition players and putting them under pressure when they receive the ball. Saying you’re not advocating pressing whilst saying that we can’t sit deep suggests you don’t know what one of those terms means.

Into the territory of you being objectively wrong, rather than it just being my opinion.

I am very open about the games I don’t attend, ask @ECYellow.

i agree that we lost because of the pressure invited by sitting deep.

I dispute that the players who started the game had the energy, and the substitutes who were brought on the athleticism, to do otherwise.

My argument has never been anything else, and doesn’t contradict what you said here.

As you’ve been so rude, it would be very funny if you hadn’t understood my point.
The fact that you think ‘if you don’t sit deep then you have to press’ shows you think there’s only two options of how you defend when there are dozens. You can have a higher defensive line with a level of marking be it zonal or man marking without the need for active pressing. I won’t be responding to you again as you favour your two dimensional argument. Good luck to you though and COYY.

The fact that you think ‘if you don’t sit deep then you have to press’ shows you think there’s only two options of how you defend when there are dozens. You can have a higher defensive line with a level of marking be it zonal or man marking without the need for active pressing. I won’t be responding to you again as you favour your two dimensional argument. Good luck to you though and COYY.
What you’re describing is a different intensity of pressing. Not a lack of pressing. Strange that you would incorrectly criticise me for a two dimensional view anyway, when you’ve outright said you’re not advocating for any pressing, which sounds pretty one dimensional.

Seems odd that you’re trying to take any sort of high ground after i) opening with a comment that I was “hell bent” on something ii) saying I didn’t understand football because I disagreed with you iii) saying I can’t have been at the match because I disagreed with you.

Suffice to say, I consider your refusal to reply to be the first excellent news of 2024. Here’s hoping for some more come 5pm.

Back
Top Bottom