Away Match Day Thread 27/04/2024: L1 - Exeter City v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Now that I'm a "Well-known member" perhaps I should be more careful about what I write. I felt a safer keyboard warrior when I was merely "active" and almost no one knew me.

Well what a roller coaster of a weekโ€ฆ.. so frustrated after those 2 home games, but what a day yesterday as the scores came through. The Mrs doesnโ€™t quite understand the emotion, but there is, of course, only one true love!!!!

And while we're on it, let's give praise to Karl Robinson for spotting the potential in Josh Murphy and bringing him to the club. Also for bringing in Elliott Moore who, despite being quiet, has developed into a real leader who gives so much confidence when he plays. And finally Cam. I don't think any other manager than Robinson would have fought so hard to keep him, and I doubt that Cam would have stayed for anyone else.

You'd think that now these players have all been fundamental towards us getting into the playoffs that some might let it go and give Robinson his due.

Well said.

Also pretty much ostracised James Henry and had a very difficult relationship with several other players. Sacked coaches without having the decency to tell them directly and walked out without the decency to talk with players or club staff.
And yet, if someone had made those exact claims while Manning was still manager youโ€™d have shouted them down, and defended him to the hiltโ€ฆ and if Des leaves us for someone else at the end of this season youโ€™ll be slagging him off in no time, saying that he lost the dressing room, unfairly ostracised Burey and that Bodin, Rodrigues and McGuane had downed tools ๐Ÿ˜‚

And yet, if someone had made those exact claims while Manning was still manager youโ€™d have shouted them down, and defended him to the hiltโ€ฆ and if Des leaves us for someone else at the end of this season youโ€™ll be slagging him off in no time, saying that he lost the dressing room, unfairly ostracised Burey and that Bodin, Rodrigues and McGuane had downed tools ๐Ÿ˜‚

What are you talking about?!

And while we're on it, let's give praise to Karl Robinson for spotting the potential in Josh Murphy and bringing him to the club. Also for bringing in Elliott Moore who, despite being quiet, has developed into a real leader who gives so much confidence when he plays. And finally Cam. I don't think any other manager than Robinson would have fought so hard to keep him, and I doubt that Cam would have stayed for anyone else.

You'd think that now these players have all been fundamental towards us getting into the playoffs that some might let it go and give Robinson his due.
You say that like itโ€™s hard for me to do - itโ€™s not. I can credit Karl for plenty of great memories supporting the club. Will I thank him for signing Murphy? No. Because nothing about signing him was remotely good for the club until a few months ago. He owes Des a pint for making that look like something positive.

I know youโ€™re precious about Manning and decisions he made which have aged badly having left. I have nothing to disprove what youโ€™re saying about him but I do take it with a pinch of salt because normally the product of toxic behaviour is not good players flocking to join and a team that hardly loses a game, winning most. You only need to look at last season. But itโ€™s just my take and until told otherwise by someone on here that I am more convinced knows different with a balanced view, that wonโ€™t change.

You obviously donโ€™t understand why I liked him, but I find it equally odd to totally write him off for praise when heโ€™s accountable for the best part of half the points haul thatโ€™s helped us to a 5th placed finish. Heโ€™s furthered himself, good for him. Why be so bitter if you believe so strongly that weโ€™ve bettered ourselves as well? Surely we can all fist bump and move onโ€ฆ

You say that like itโ€™s hard for me to do - itโ€™s not. I can credit Karl for plenty of great memories supporting the club. Will I thank him for signing Murphy? No. Because nothing about signing him was remotely good for the club until a few months ago. He owes Des a pint for making that look like something positive.

I know youโ€™re precious about Manning and decisions he made which have aged badly having left. I have nothing to disprove what youโ€™re saying about him but I do take it with a pinch of salt because normally the product of toxic behaviour is not good players flocking to join and a team that hardly loses a game, winning most. You only need to look at last season. But itโ€™s just my take and until told otherwise by someone on here that I am more convinced knows different with a balanced view, that wonโ€™t change.

You obviously donโ€™t understand why I liked him, but I find it equally odd to totally write him off for praise when heโ€™s accountable for the best part of half the points haul thatโ€™s helped us to a 5th placed finish. Heโ€™s furthered himself, good for him. Why be so bitter if you believe so strongly that weโ€™ve bettered ourselves as well? Surely we can all fist bump and move onโ€ฆ
Will you pack it in you two! Clearly Manning should take a lot of credit but heโ€™s gone and hasnโ€™t really improved Bristol City so we donโ€™t need to linger on him. Des has clearly struggled (as he isnโ€™t an android) and itโ€™s good to see him prevail despite most peopleโ€™s expectations

I've been an Oxford United fan for many years and have seen thousands of players and staff come and go. I never begrudge anyone looking to better themselves or take opportunities elsewhere. It's the reality of being a smaller club that if a player succeeds here that there will be bigger clubs looking to take them on bigger wages.

However, the one thing that should be an absolute given is that people respect the club whilst here and after they leave.

Manning showed no respect to the club, the board, the players or the fans in the way he left and since he left. He does not give a s**t about our club, and I don't give a s**t about him.

I moved on months ago.

Yesterday was about Des Buckingham and the players that have got us this far and no one else - especially the man that almost derailed our season without a care in the world.

I never begrudge anyone looking to better themselves or take opportunities elsewhere. It's the reality of being a smaller club that if a player succeeds here that there will be bigger clubs looking to take them on bigger wages.

Manning showed no respect to the club, the board, the players or the fans in the way he left and since he left. He does not give a s**t about our club, and I don't give a s**t about him.
I havenโ€™t read so much contradictory drivel on here for ages.

LM picked Us up when we were hurtling towards relegation, and left us second in the table and only 3 points behind Pompey after more than a third of this season. He said good things about us when he left but then quickly focused on his new job. He took his trusted assistant with him but didnโ€™t try nabbing any of our players.

He got our confidence back and rebuilt the club to a certain extent.

Heโ€™ll have been proud of what he achieved here as he made us hard to beat. In my view he can take more than a third of the credit for what weโ€™ve achieved so far this season. He has moved on and will go down in history as a manager who played a part in our recent success.

I havenโ€™t read so much contradictory drivel on here for ages.

LM picked Us up when we were hurtling towards relegation, and left us second in the table and only 3 points behind Pompey after more than a third of this season. He said good things about us when he left but then quickly focused on his new job. He took his trusted assistant with him but didnโ€™t try nabbing any of our players.

He got our confidence back and rebuilt the club to a certain extent.

Heโ€™ll have been proud of what he achieved here as he made us hard to beat. In my view he can take more than a third of the credit for what weโ€™ve achieved so far this season. He has moved on and will go down in history as a manager who played a part in our recent success.

Why did you ignore the one paragraph that removes any contradiction?

Seeing as you appear unable to understand my post it is all about respect. People move on, that's fine, but show our club respect. Manning didn't and therefore he won't get any respect from me in return.

I've been an Oxford United fan for many years and have seen thousands of players and staff come and go. I never begrudge anyone looking to better themselves or take opportunities elsewhere. It's the reality of being a smaller club that if a player succeeds here that there will be bigger clubs looking to take them on bigger wages.

However, the one thing that should be an absolute given is that people respect the club whilst here and after they leave.

I moved on months ago.

Yesterday was about Des Buckingham and the players that have got us this far and no one else - especially the man that almost derailed our season without a care in the world.
To me finishing 5th is a credit to all those involved and Manning made no small contribution to that. It baffles me how quickly youโ€™ve just buried and spat on what he did to give your club (you clearly love dearly) the opportunity it has got this season. And all I really ask as a manager is that the club is in a better spot when they leave than what they picked up because it is an inevitable that they will leave one day and rarely is it ever on great terms.

Itโ€™s the nature of the business - most industries for that matter - that to move something forward from a poor state, there will be collateral damage and some people either put out or left out. If all Manning did after last season was let the old guard carry on it would have been far more questionable for me.

Last edited:
Why did you ignore the one paragraph that removes any contradiction?

Seeing as you appear unable to understand my post it is all about respect. People move on, that's fine, but show our club respect. Manning didn't and therefore he won't get any respect from me in return.
So you don't want to show any respect for a manager who put his all into our Club.
A coach who came in and galvanized a team who looked as if they would fall into the abyss of league 2 football.
Imagine how far that would have set us back as a club.
You don't want to show any respect to a coach,who with collaboration of the recruitment team ,brought players to our Club who have been instrumental in our top six finish.
I include players such as Beadle, Stevens, Leigh, Mceachran, Rodriguez, Mills, Harris.
These were the backbone of the team he built in one window, the team who were second in the league when he left.
I think that deserves a modicum of respect.
As other posters have alluded to,he has to take some credit in what we have achieved this season.

I moved on months ago.

Totally accept Exeter was about Des, but without Manning it would have been a non event, a mid table on the beach football match.
Both contributed and both hindered if you look at the season as a whole.
We are in the play offs let's enjoy it. We have regained our pride after last season's debacle.
Des has the opportunity to get us to the promised land this season, we are not the favourites but at least we are in a position to try. The play offs are a lottery and all teams in them this season are fragile. Let's at least compete this time.

So you don't want to show any respect for a manager who put his all into our Club.
A coach who came in and galvanized a team who looked as if they would fall into the abyss of league 2 football.
Imagine how far that would have set us back as a club.
You don't want to show any respect to a coach,who with collaboration of the recruitment team ,brought players to our Club who have been instrumental in our top six finish.
I include players such as Beadle, Stevens, Leigh, Mceachran, Rodriguez, Mills, Harris.
These were the backbone of the team he built in one window, the team who were second in the league when he left.
I think that deserves a modicum of respect.
As other posters have alluded to,he has to take some credit in what we have achieved this season.

I respected what Manning achieved in regard to results whilst he was here and have acknowledged that numerous times.

However I do not respect the way he left the club, the way he treated several players and staff during his time with us, or the fact that he has never spoken of the club since he left.

He's moved on, I've moved on, and it's probably best that others move on too.

• React
Reactions: Nox
Back
Top Bottom