Home Match Day Thread 23/02/2021 L1 OUFC v Portsmouth

Big game, can't wait!

We've been struggling for form recently, and things have gone a bit stale, so I'd like to see Robbo freshen things up a bit, to reignite the squad.

I'd try this for 442 diamond the first 60mins:

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Gorrin
Kelly Brannagan
Sykes
Henry Taylor

SUBS: Winnall, Barker, Shodipo, Forde, Lee, Grayson, Eastwood

Then I'd switch to this 433 for the last 30mins:

Stevens
Gorrin
Sykes Brannagan
Shodipo Winnall Barker

Pass them to death for the first 60mins, and then get our wingers on to stretch them, then once we're 2-3 goals up, bring Forde on for Sykes to help shut up shop.

Simples!

COYY
Its certainly ambitious, but thats a lot of pressure on Sykes for that first hour, operating in the hole behind Taylor. It also doesn't give a huge amount of room for wide play, but I'm no tactician so I might be talking waffle.

WE’VE MET U BEFORE : November 24th 2020

Pompey 1-1 U’s

A niggly affair ends in yet another 1-1 draw, Gorrin with a 66th minute equaliser from the spot for United.

U’s : Eastwood - Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels - Gorrin Forde Henry - Clare Agyei Shodipo

Eu2NyIRXIAcpeGQ
Also, was this the game that featured the infamous "watch where you put your hands, Matty" fiasco?

Stevens
Gorrin
Brannigan Sykes
Barker Winnall Shodipo​

Subs: Eastwood, Forde, Hanson, Henry, Lee, Agyei, Taylor

This lineup is assuming Lee isn’t quite fit, and Long is.

Bring Lee, Henry and Agyei on for the last 15-20 mins. Give Taylor 10 mins at the end as well.

No idea of score but I predict a massive pallet collapse resulting in serious bell damage. Make up your own jokes on that one.

Putting my neck on the line for this, 2-0 to the mighty Yellows, Taylor x2

I think I’d line up like this

Stevens
Long, Moore,Atkinson,Ruffels
Gorrin
Shodipo,Brannigan,Barker
Lee
Winnall.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lee start upfront in a false 9 role, dropping deeper to link up play, and have Barker and Shodipo start on the wings to really go at them.
Exactly my thinking! Go at them hard, and get them on the back foot early, and try to get a goal or two early. There heads may drop, because of the form they are in.

Windy one tonight.

A tough test that I am really looking forward to.

Great to think that after our dreadful start to the season we are in a situation where a game like this still really matters.

A six pointer for sure, so lets get the win and reel them in.

COYY’s

I think that Barker or Shodipo will rightly start.
I agree thats probably what will happen, but as the last few games have shown, the current set up is looking a bit flat and stale, and the wingers aren't really providing much of an outlet, so I'd rather see Robbo try something new, to get the spark back.

Interested that there are many variations shown in the front five line ups.

Since January we seem to have gone from pretty much knowing our best line up, to being confused about it. Could be down to now having more players to choose from, or just a dip in form (possibly due to a change in tactics and how we now use the ball... slow passing across the back line, mixed with long diagonal punts upfield).

Its certainly ambitious, but thats a lot of pressure on Sykes for that first hour, operating in the hole behind Taylor. It also doesn't give a huge amount of room for wide play, but I'm no tactician so I might be talking waffle.
Personally, I think playing as a more central attacking midfielder, in the hole behind a front two, could be Sykes' best position.

It does of course mean a pretty big change up of the formation, which is why it probably won't happen, but after recent performances, I'm concerned we're slowly but surely playing ourselves out of form, just when we need to be kicking on, and would like to see a bit of out of the box thinking from Robbo, to reignite the squad.

Since January we seem to have gone from pretty much knowing our best line up, to being confused about it. Could be down to now having more players to choose from, or just a dip in form (possibly due to a change in tactics and how we now use the ball... slow passing across the back line, mixed with long diagonal punts upfield).
I agree, we were playing good football in December and January, and were crying out for some pace out wide, to add that extra dimension to our game, but since we've got the wingers in, we're not utilising them correctly, like you say, too much ponderous passing around in defence, and then trying to hit long diagonal balls out wide, it's too predictable, and easy to defend against.

The pitches aren't helping. This is the same for everybody but I haven't seen many play good football.
We definitely have dropped off some form. Cam isn't back to his best, Henry and Taylor are looking out of sorts and we are missing McGuane.
Barker is looking sharp and as he gets more match fit, he could cause even more problems. We need him to have the ball in the final third though rather than picking it up in our half.

Back
Top Bottom