Home Match Build Up 23/02/2021 L1 OUFC v Portsmouth

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malc

Staff member
So, after 1 point at Ipswich in a sleepy slow game we go on to face the might of Pompey. Definitely a tastier match, Portsmouth have a strong team and the Yellows will have to play a lot better that at Portland Road. Pompey have slipped a bit lately having won 2, drawn 1 and lost 3 in the last 6 games. But it's not going to be easy at all. Be prepared for a Portsmouth side desperate to get back on course for promotion form.

reckon the U's are due a big win and everything to click as it should ...'cash in 'on Jackett not being there atm too

The last few games against Pompey had been cagey affairs with few goals and the last few havd all been draws?
We have been poor lately but yesterday Pompey had no shots on target and lost at home to Blackpool.
They are decent away.
So another 0 0 or 1 1 draw?

The last few games against Pompey had been cagey affairs with few goals and the last few havd all been draws?
We have been poor lately but yesterday Pompey had no shots on target and lost at home to Blackpool.
They are decent away.
So another 0 0 or 1 1 draw?
Well if they had no shots on target on Saturday and we managed one, it's not looking like it's going to be very exciting!

So, after 1 point at Ipswich in a sleepy slow game we go on to face the might of Pompey. Definitely a tastier match, Portsmouth have a strong team and the Yellows will have to play a lot better that at Portland Road. Pompey have slipped a bit lately having won 2, drawn 1 and lost 3 in the last 6 games. But it's not going to be easy at all. Be prepared for a Portsmouth side desperate to get back on course for promotion form.
‘Might of Pompey’ - Yet they have won 2 in their last 6 and lost on Saturday, registering 0 shots on target 😅 I’m not suggesting they’re a bad team but I really don’t get this fascination with them? I’m not referring to you in particular, but I see it a lot on this forum. It’s odd. It’s even more odd when you look at the form tables..

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Gorrin Brannagan
Sykes
Barker Taylor Lee

9C88896F-0F8C-4639-ABFA-67B779D4866C.jpegE32D0478-087C-4559-BF32-D48AD45B69B8.jpeg

Last edited:
I suggest if they had zero shots, that KR watches the Blackpool game to see how they defend.

Stevens
Kelly Gorrin Brannagan
Shodipo Winnall Barker

‘Might of Pompey’ - Yet they have won 2 in their last 6 and lost on Saturday, registering 0 shots on target 😅 I’m not suggesting they’re a bad team but I really don’t get this fascination with them? I’m not referring to you in particular, but I see it a lot on this forum. It’s odd. It’s even more odd when you look at the form tables..

Stevens
Gorrin Brannagan
Sykes
Barker Taylor Lee

View attachment 5682View attachment 5683
That was meant as sarcastic, but I guess it didn't come over as such. Portsmouth for me are just another league 1 team.

Stevens
Gorrin
Kelly Brannagan
Sykes
Henry Taylor

SUBS: Winnall, Shodipo, Barker, Lee, Forde, Grayson, Eastwood

Credit where it's due for managing to grind out results recently. Well done Robbo and the lads! 👏

But our performances have been pretty poor for a while now, it all looks a bit stale, lacking creativity, and needs a spark, so I'd like to see Robbo be brave, and change the system, get our technical players on the pitch, get our passing game going again, and get people closer to Taylor.

Get Pompey chasing shadows, and tire them out.

Then on 60mins, get our wingers on the pitch, switch to a 433, and stretch them, with something like this:

Stevens
Gorrin
Sykes Brannagan
Shodipo Winnall Barker

Hopefully Long will return, otherwise Forde at RB, and hopefully Mcguane is close to a return now, as after a slow start to the season, since he found his mojo, he's been absolutely integral to all of our good play, and we need him back firing on all cylinders ASAP.

3 points tomorrow, and then Saturday's scrappy draw at Ipswich goes from being a good result, to a great one!

COYY

I got as far as Kelly.
With games coming thick and fast, and Mcguane still injured, players like Kelly have to be used, and he did ok when he came on at the weekend.

Granted, I'm not sure he's suited to a 433, but I think he could be more suited to a diamond formation, either on the right side or at the tip, but I'd rather Sykes played there.

I'd just like to see a bit more flexibility in the systems we use, as we've got players to suit more than one formation, and things have been very flat recently, so a change might reignite things.

But I'm sat on the sofa in my pants eating a bacon sarnie on a Monday morning, so what do I know!:ROFLMAO:

Pompey fans i know are expecting another defeat for them and all have said they would happily take a point off us. Me, i want all 3 points we need to be making the teams above us to seriously start looking over their shoulders at us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom