Home Match Day Thread 19/04/2024: L1 - OUFC v Stevenage

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And not many of them actually making their keeper work.

We are so poor at set pieces!! And why oh why do we try and head the ball directly in when a header back across the box would be more effective!
Set pieces are an absolutely critical thing to be looked at in the summer and not just for the typical reasons but because of how we now play.

Des wants fast aggressive wingers who take on their full back every time they get the ball… Rodrigues and Goodrham are now doing it more also. So where’s the deterrent for the opponent to kick them over all game if we can’t put in a decent dead ball?

We need to target being in the top 2 or 3 sides in set plays next year because we will be kicked around a huge amount otherwise and I’d imagine we’ll make a fair few fouls to prevent counters as we often overcommit. It’s a must that we sort this out and recruit with it in mind.

Not in this scenario and the differing form of the teams. If Lincoln win today and Barnsley win, it gives us less chance next week even if we win as we only have one team we could overtake. If Blackpool and Lincoln win today it means we have a better job of getting in the playoffs next week than if Lincoln win and Blackpool lose today, if we do our job and win. Ideally I would want Lincoln to lose today and Blackpool to win but as it is unlikely Lincoln will lose against Cheltenham then I want there to be as many teams as possible we can overtake.
If Lincoln lose and Blackpool win that means both teams can still catch us as well as BArnsley still being above us..

Nothing wrong with that, not having a go at you, can see where you are coming from but was just putting a counterpoint.

Hopefully the results go are way over the next week and this is all wasted chatter anyway.
I hope so. But I don't think we can truthfully claim to 'deserve' a play off spot. If we sneak in there, who knows.

I can't see us getting a result at Exeter, personally.

Another complete h
Watched the game on the box. Thought we were ok without having the nous to break down a determined side. Just wish we had a few sh1thousing midfielders like they had, and we’d be on the beach by now.

My ratings -

Cumming 6 not much to do, weak punch didn’t clear the danger leading to their goal.

Stevens 5 awful first touch throughout. At fault for their goal.

Long 6.5 Solid, heart on his sleeve performance

Brown 6 did ok but wasn’t really tested by a weak Reid.

Leigh 5.5 better going forward second half, a couple of fantastic passes but got the impression his talent is being coached out of him by being told to be overly defensive.

Rodrigues 5 didn’t do enough for me. One or two moments that’s it.

Brannagan 6 poor dead ball deliveries but passing was good. Committed but I don’t think that’s enough for our top earner.

Goodrham 6 conceded too many fouls but his closing down was excellent.

Browne 5.5 an alright first half considering he’s been out for ages. Offered width and space but I never got the impression he could put in a decent cross if he was still on the pitch now.

Harris 6 unlucky the ball didn’t quite land for him tonight. He has done better than I thought he would this season but he’s hardly going to trouble any Championship defences is he?

Murphy 7.5 full of energy, defended well when needed and some lung-bursting runs. On this form he’s the closest we’ve had to a good winger since Joey.

Des 6 needs to learn the art of playing against a team like Chavenage, he’s still learning and this half season will have prepared him well for next season.

Referee - 4 really poor positioning throughout, always seemed to have players between him and the ball at key game changing moments. Decision to award us a penalty was shocking - foul was outside the box and very soft. But he failed to give 2 stonewall pens because of his bad positions, which made me think he guessed the one he gave. Bookings were all spot on though and he spotted most petty fouls.
Another complete head wobble of a post...
How about the worst player on the whole pitch last night was in fact Jamie Cumming, he is unfortunately very poor on the ball, he lacks confidence & as the Scout I was sitting next to last night said 'League 2 at best', he couldn't believe he was on CFC's books.. He will certainly have a good career but at what level I'm not sure..
I see the Stevens hate is out again too, strange that... Maybe get your facts right:
Awful first touch - He's probably the best technical player at the Club
At fault for their goal - He was nowhere the left hand side, he was defending at the back post when the cross came in
You gave Sam Long a 6.5 when scores an own goal (he didn't need to lean into it) & then you give Ruben a 5 when he wins us the penalty?
How about some positivity across the board going forward, we're probably going to come up short but it hasn't been for the sake of trying, nearly all of the players last night were running on empty too, x3 games in x6 days is outrageous imo..
Rant over.

It’s so frustrating that we essentially threw away the chance of having this in our hands, especially after playing so well against Peterborough. We all knew it was going be a tough ask playing three matches in six days, but just don’t feel we managed the squad as well as we could have knowing what certain players are capable of/bring to the table. Will be gutting if we don’t make the play-offs, especially after being in them virtually the whole season, but I said after Saturday’s game against Peterborough that we looked dead on our feet which is really annoying as we had chance to rest players, especially after going up 4-0 up!

Last edited:
If Lincoln lose and Blackpool win that means both teams can still catch us as well as BArnsley still being above us..
Yes but if we win next week we are through regardless in your scenario. Someone mentioned, both games being draws and that is probably the ideal scenario today. Certainly, in my view, having Barnsley as being catchable is the better option than having them not catchable. If Lincoln lose today, I would go with your view.

Another complete h

How about the worst player on the whole pitch last night was in fact Jamie Cumming, he is unfortunately very poor on the ball, he lacks confidence & as the Scout I was sitting next to last night said 'League 2 at best', he couldn't believe he was on CFC's books.. He will certainly have a good career but at what level I'm not sure..
I see the Stevens hate is out again too, strange that... Maybe get your facts right:
At fault for their goal - He was nowhere the left hand side, he was defending at the back post when the cross came in
You gave Sam Long a 6.5 when scores an own goal (he didn't need to lean into it) & then you give Ruben a 5 when he wins us the penalty?
How about some positivity across the board going forward, we're probably going to come up short but it hasn't been for the sake of trying, nearly all of the players last night were running on empty too, x3 games in x6 days is outrageous imo..
Rant over.
Cumming the worst player? Are you in the Greg Leigh fan club? Absolutely clueless performance.

Another complete h

Rant over.
Cumming the worst player? Are you in the Greg Leigh fan club? Absolutely clueless performance.

Back
Top Bottom