Current Player #18 Marcus McGuane

Would be a brilliant signing on a number of levels - 1) his quality now, 2) his potential to improve and 3) how much our system relies on someone like him. Even if he was half as good as he is, the difference he’d make to the side in terms of balance and allowing our midfield some control would be massive.

Quite clear as well from not recalling Johnson from Lincoln and signing Glenn Murray in January that Hughton’s not about to give the youth a chance there.

I worry for your health and sanity. Perhaps you could take up steam railway reclamation, it would seem a more suitable hobby and you wouldn't get so worked up.
Just responding to a bit of a stupid post really.maybe you shouldn’t take it so seriously.

My concern would be that at the start of the season when you would expect a loan player doing ever thing to impress he to me didn’t, if he’s available for a small fee worth a gamble, I feel that we could do better

My concern would be that at the start of the season when you would expect a loan player doing ever thing to impress he to me didn’t, if he’s available for a small fee worth a gamble, I feel that we could do better
He was absolutely brilliant by the end of his stay and was probably a big reason why are form dropped off.

I’d be in favour of signing McGuane, but only if the medical team were satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that the season-ending injury isn’t, in fact, a performance-limiting one.

There can’t be many fans who believe the manager’s penchant for signing the Walking Dead has been a success, surely?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t think he played in any of the nine game winning run

Played in the Northampton, Wimbledon, Plymouth, Burton and then injured in the Bristol Rovers game.

Decent player that took his time to find his feet. I wouldn't mind him coming back but no way would I be bidding big money for him.

This must be Oxford United, where signing a crocked player is met with joy. Strategic brilliance.
Crocked player? He had one injury during his time with us and to the best of my knowledge, he hasn’t suffered any other mid to long term injuries. He was also our best player while he was with us, and would have no doubt continued to improve! As per, you’re talking fart.

That this was all blurted out straight after a poor defeat that more or less ended the season is fairly convenient. I’m sure they’ve been talking about the idea of McGuane signing long before now.

Providing he’s fully fit and his injury shows no signs of creating long term issues, he could be a good signing. So long as his ‘spinning like a bottle top before passing the ball backwards’ days are over. Looked good when a little more advanced and was finally willing to take people on and run forwards, but for the first half of the season he offered very little. He had a very good half a dozen games or so before his injury, but we would be basing a multi-year deal on six or seven games as it stands. He had more ineffective games for us than effective ones, it’s just that all the best ones came right before his injury when we had started to look more consistent.

Interesting stats: we won 5 of the next 6 games after his injury. Rochdale, Fleetwood, Wimbledon (cup), Wigan and Bristol Rovers. The only game we didn’t win in that run was Doncaster, when we scored twice and somehow didn’t win a game that we dominated. Even in the game he went off injured in, we were drawing 0-0 after quarter of an hour and won 2-0, so you could argue that we actually won 6 of the first 7 games without him. Either way the facts seem to suggest that any suggestions that him being injured derailed our season are inaccurate. He never even scored a single goal for us in 21 appearances.

A good player with potential who has all the tools, but definitely one whose stock has risen through being injured at the ‘right’ time, if there is such a thing.

That this was all blurted out straight after a poor defeat that more or less ended the season is fairly convenient. I’m sure they’ve been talking about the idea of McGuane signing long before now.

Providing he’s fully fit and his injury shows no signs of creating long term issues, he could be a good signing. So long as his ‘spinning like a bottle top before passing the ball backwards’ days are over. Looked good when a little more advanced and was finally willing to take people on and run forwards, but for the first half of the season he offered very little. He had a very good half a dozen games or so before his injury, but we would be basing a multi-year deal on six or seven games as it stands. He had more ineffective games for us than effective ones, it’s just that all the best ones came right before his injury when we had started to look more consistent.

Interesting stats: we won 5 of the next 6 games after his injury. Rochdale, Fleetwood, Wimbledon (cup), Wigan and Bristol Rovers. The only game we didn’t win in that run was Doncaster, when we scored twice and somehow didn’t win a game that we dominated. Even in the game he went off injured in, we were drawing 0-0 after quarter of an hour and won 2-0, so you could argue that we actually won 6 of the first 7 games without him. Either way the facts seem to suggest that any suggestions that him being injured derailed our season are inaccurate. He never even scored a single goal for us in 21 appearances.

A good player with potential who has all the tools, but definitely one whose stock has risen through being injured at the ‘right’ time, if there is such a thing.
It was mentioned before the game too, just followed up on in the post game interview. Jerome was also talking as if he had prior knowledge so I think it's unfair to label this a a convenient blurt. I get where you're coming from but it was mentioned pre game and asked about by the interviewer in the post game interview rather than KR just going "yeah we lost but LOOK OVER THERE MARCUS MCGUANE" (although I could totally see him doing that)

It was mentioned before the game too, just followed up on in the post game interview. Jerome was also talking as if he had prior knowledge so I think it's unfair to label this a a convenient blurt. I get where you're coming from but it was mentioned pre game and asked about by the interviewer in the post game interview rather than KR just going "yeah we lost but LOOK OVER THERE MARCUS MCGUANE" (although I could totally see him doing that)
And who told them about Marcus McGuane before going on the air? I think we’ve definitely been lining up some good news. Most people were starting to look towards next season after Sunderland anyway.

Either way, it’s not really a ‘gripe’, merely an observation. I do think he’s been built up a little bit regardless. Not a bad player at all, but people are talking about him like he’s prime Marcus Browne when he didn’t even score a goal in nearly half a season of fixtures.

I asked a Forest supporting mate about McGuane a couple months back - he had no clue who he was! Clearly not particularly high in the pecking order and Forest have a lot of U23 players in their team so probably would barely notice if he slipped away. I don't think he'll come on the complete cheap, but I wouldn't be surprised if we can snatch him for around 250k given his contract situation and the seeming fact he enjoyed his time here and may push to come back. One of those players that could turn us around a quick profit if he grows how many of us think he can.

Also, I brought up the fact we could be going in for McGuane on a perm about a month ago, does this give me ITK status now? Are there any perks to it?
Not really - everyone is just desperate for the opposite to happen so they can crow.

Not really - everyone is just desperate for the opposite to happen so they can crow.
Only if you behave like a total bell end while getting half the things you say wrong, while simultaneously pretending otherwise and talking to people in a disrespectful manner.

Somebody like you who gets things consistently right and talks to people with respect is very much liked and welcome.

Help yourself to an After Eight, sir.

Definitely have him back but only when he has been microscopically checked out (Winnall was NOT) & certainly only a "nominal" fee.

Back
Top Bottom