Away Match Build Up 18/05/2024: L1 Play-Off Final - Bolton vs Oxford

Who Will Be Playing Championship Football Next Year?

• Bolton

Votes: 33 24.6%
  • Oxford

Votes: 101 75.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carpy

Staff member
Last edited by a moderator:
Wembley Appearances to date

1986 - Milk Cup - QPR W 3-0 - East End
2010 - Conf Playoff - York W 3-1 - West End (Greenman)
2016 - League Trophy - Barnsley L 3-2 - East End
2017 - League Trophy - Coventry L 2-1 - East End
2020 - League One Playoff - Wycombe L 1-2 - East End (Giant OUFC Flag Only)

We've initially won at both East and West ends, followed by three defeats at the East End. So perhaps having the West End versus Bolton is a good omen! :)

I guess we will likely wear the Electric Blue Third kit, as we did at their place (I hope not Red/Black). Bolton gets the first choice of colours, as they finished above us. I'd be very surprised if White/Navy versus Yellow/Navy would be acceptable for the TV, especially if it is a bright day. :(

View attachment 19578

Really? The days of black and white TV are long gone!

Distressed to see the club are selling half and half scarves on the Official website for this match. Can't get behind that as an idea. Borderline tinpot. Went on the Bolton shop and no sign of them there

Boycott required… appalling idea.

Last edited:
we should play in yellow ... shouldnt we?
We should, yes. But, we've worn away kits at their place for the past few seasons, although Bolton have played at ours in their white/navy kit.

I really can't see us both wearing Macron, and both playing in 'light' shirts and navy shorts.

The rule of thumb the footballing authorities use is the greyscale test. If they are similar in β€˜greyscale’ there is likely to be a β€˜colour blind’ kit clash.
Screenshot-2024-05-11-163240.jpg

I hope its yellow - of course, but my hunch is we'll not be in yellow.

Last edited:
We should, yes. But, we've worn away kits at their place for the past few seasons, although Bolton have played at ours in their white/navy kit.

I really can't see us both wearing Macron, and both playing in 'light' shirts and navy shorts.

The rule of thumb the footballing authorities use is the greyscale test. If they are similar in β€˜greyscale’ there is likely to be a β€˜colour blind’ kit clash.
View attachment 19579

I hope its yellow - of course, but my hunch is we'll not be in yellow.
why should Bolton get priority? - if one side has to wear a changed kit both should- especially given there is, in real terms, no clash of colours

Last edited:
why should Bolton get priority? - if one side has to wear a changed kit both should
The rules are that the team that finishes higher in the league gets to choose their colours. And to be fair, Sarge, you'd be going mad if the boot was on the other foot, and we were told we can't wear yellow coz the other team has to change.

Of course, Bolton might choose to wear Black, or their Electric Blue third kit, but most teams will want to run out at Wembley in their traditional colours.

I really hope I'm wrong about this. :)

The rules are that the team that finishes higher in the league gets to choose their colours. And to be fair, Sarge, you'd be going mad if the boot was on the other foot, and we were told we can't wear yellow coz the other team has to change.

Of course, Bolton might choose to wear Black, or their Electric Blue third kit, but most teams will want to run out at Wembley in their traditional colours.

I really hope I'm wrong about this. :)
so am i

that said why should league placings come into it- both sides have been through the playoff process since the league positions were finalised - any of 3rd,4th, 5th & 6th place could be in the final

and yellow and white don't clash

Upset as I will not be able to watch this as I have to go and work in Dubai for the week and cannot get out of it. However, I’m planning to watch it there - for those of you who know Dubai in the double-decker or the Dubliners. I do have a friend out there who is Bolton fan however would, be very pleased to watch it with some fellow yellow. So if anyone has an alternative plan of where to watch it, please let me know and when I decision I will post on here so anyone can join me.

Upset as I will not be able to watch this as I have to go and work in Dubai for the week and cannot get out of it. However, I’m planning to watch it there - for those of you who know Dubai in the double-decker or the Dubliners. I do have a friend out there who is Bolton fan however would, be very pleased to watch it with some fellow yellow. So if anyone has an alternative plan of where to watch it, please let me know and when I decision I will post on here so anyone can join me.
Apologies for the grammar above I dictated it- I’m sure you get the gist.

I won't bother voting on the grounds that neither team is "favourite" in a one-off Wembley shoot out when anything can happen and let's be honest - nobody knows who will win.
There may be one or two deluded fans in both camps - we certainly have them but their delusion is based on our 5 nil win (you're a different proposition now) and our trip to Wembley last year when we demolished Argyle 4 nil - which is history. History is irrelevant and they might as well base it on our FA Cup wins, the last of which was 66 years ago.
What does matter are the performances on the day, the tactics, the "rub of the green" and hopefully to a far lesser extent, the officials.
My hope for the Wanderers is that we bring our A game and that nobody makes a stupid mistake that they'll have to live with.
My hope for the game is that it's decided on the quality and effort both teams bring to the game - a fair fight and may the best team win - although I suspect either team would be delighted with a scabby win where the winning goal comes off the unknowing striker's a**e :)

^^^^ I would buy this one a pint.

And forgot to mention lucky breakfast beer will be in Fibber Mcghees Noon Dubai time but 8am UK which seeing as I don’t get to Dubai until Friday night counts as breakfast I reckon.

so am i

that said why should league placings come into it- both sides have been through the playoff process since the league positions were finalised - any of 3rd,4th, 5th & 6th place could be in the final

and yellow and white don't clash
There are the EFL rules. You might not like it, but it is what it is.

I agree, yellow and white don't clash. As you will well know, we've had dozens of white away shirts ourselves and played against many sides in white.

The problem lies with both sides wearing navy shorts. In recent years, the EFL has adopted the same approach as the Prem, in that sides can now wear the same colour shorts. However, it remains at the discretion of the referee. Clearly, Manure in Red/White won't clash with City in Sky/White. But in our case, I fear the authorities will conclude that the same colour shorts, paired with similar shades of shirt/socks, will not be acceptable for such a high profile and televised match.

Of course, back in the good old days, we regularly wore 'All Yellow' against teams with dark shorts. But the EFL recently adopted a stupid rule: Only the garments from the 3 registered kits can be worn. So unless they bend the rules and allow us to wear yellow shorts, I fear it's gonna be the away or third kit for the final.

There are the EFL rules. You might not like it, but it is what it is.

I agree, yellow and white don't clash. As you will well know, we've had dozens of white away shirts ourselves and played against many sides in white.

The problem lies with both sides wearing navy shorts. In recent years, the EFL has adopted the same approach as the Prem, in that sides can now wear the same colour shorts. However, it remains at the discretion of the referee. Clearly, Manure in Red/White won't clash with City in Sky/White. But in our case, I fear the authorities will conclude that the same colour shorts, paired with similar shades of shirt/socks, will not be acceptable for such a high profile and televised match.

Of course, back in the good old days, we regularly wore 'All Yellow' against teams with dark shorts. But the EFL recently adopted a stupid rule: Only the garments from the 3 registered kits can be worn. So unless they bend the rules and allow us to wear yellow shorts, I fear it's gonna be the away or third kit for the final.

Could we wear the 1st team shirt with the 3rd team shorts? Yellow + Electric Blue would be an odd combo, but surely couldn't be seen to clash with Bolton, even in greyscale?

(honestly can't remember what color shorts we wear with the red/black, which shows how little I pay attention to this sort of thing!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom