Ref Watch +++ 13/07/20 L1 Play Off FINAL - OUFC v Wycombe+++

I think that's the thing that kills me the most. If Browne chases it down instead of appealing for a throw, he's in and the penalty never happens.
I agree, that was daft and really cost us - he’d have been in on goal, play to the whistle.

I agree, that was daft and really cost us - he’d have been in on goal, play to the whistle.

i'd argue that if Browne chased it down the defender would not have done what he did.

if an opinion was expressed how can a person be sat on the fence?
All I’m saying is, that some people would rather say “well done” or “unlucky” but tonight is no time to say any of those “if, what & maybes” WE have some fabulous players who say constantly to KR they they should b playing at a higher level, tonight they displayed why they r not capable of dealing with it when it really, really matters. I’m a massive fan but I get so frustrated when the club builds things up & we r let down. Of course I want the club to succeed, but I’m so frustrated that we had everything in place tonight & couldn’t overcome a really poor FOOTBALL team.?

All I’m saying is, that some people would rather say “well done” or “unlucky” but tonight is no time to say any of those “if, what & maybes” WE have some fabulous players who say constantly to KR they they should b playing at a higher level, tonight they displayed why they r not capable of dealing with it when it really, really matters. I’m a massive fan but I get so frustrated when the club builds things up & we r let down. Of course I want the club to succeed, but I’m so frustrated that we had everything in place tonight & couldn’t overcome a really poor FOOTBALL team.?

A massive fan who apparently judges a team on one game and believes tonight is the time to say other things like their not capable of playing at a higher level and all because of one game.

how long have you been supporting the club?

i'd argue that if Browne chased it down the defender would not have done what he did.
The defender didn’t know Browne had stopped running. He scuffed his pass horribly because he was exhausted - it was the mistake of a man whose team had been chasing the ball all half, and were rocking under the strain of momentum. Unfortunately our man switched off in frustration because he assumed the ball had gone, and he got away with it.

I’m a season ticket holder & been to a fair few away games this season, so I’m not judging it on one game. They all can do it when want to. This season (in the league) there have been some brilliant performances but more ok performances. Then come the cup games, they have been better then their level suggests. I’m sorry for being negative, I’m just pointing it out, if that was any top level team we have played this season in the cup, we would have beat them.

How we didnt win that is beyond me. Just remember right towards the end when Sykes had the ball in the area and Taylor unmarked but didnt get it past the goalie. We had them on the ropes. Hope the board step up and convince Karl to stay. With him and our ace recruiting team there is absolutely no reason we cant be just as competitive next season.

not a scummer then?

i’ve supported oxford for 6 months I’ve been to every home and away game for 3 weeks before lockdown but tonight was incredibly poor, apart front syskey he was unreal and deserves to be at a bigger team imo

So because, you’ve been posting longer than me “no one is allowed, as your king” very childish. I’m so sorry for not asking your permission first.

Nobody gave less than 100% unfortunately players like Brannagan had just understandably run out of steam. I think everybody would have taken a playoff final at the start of the season just unfortunate in the manner that we lost. And who too !

Let’s not argue chaps as I feel we r taking frustration out on each other. All I want, WE want is what’s best for Oxford. Pissed off, oh yes, frustrated ohooooooooooh yes, gutted, off the scale!!. Oh well the plus points, we get to play the scum next season!!??

Inconsolable. There was only one winner after we equalised and yet somehow we didn’t win. Chances galore - Henry’s choice to pass rather than shoot into the gaping corner, Dickie’s header and others - and then a crazy sequence of events: Browne would have been clean through had he chased after the ball instead of whining to the linesman, Moore’s decision to duck the keeper’s clearance (did Onyedimna call pretending to be Eastwood, or was it Eastwood?), was Onyedimna offside (looked it on the angle I saw!) and then Eastwood taking Onyedimna out (can’t believe there are people on here arguing it was not a pen!!).

It’s one thing to lose when an opponent blasts a 25 yarder in the top corner (a la Josh Ruffles v Wycombe last year); its quite another to lose like that - completely against the run of play and in the most preventable way imaginable against a team that time wasted from the 10th minute onwards and had 5 shots in 90 minutes. The hard part was equalising; once we had done that, Wycombe were on the rack and the only way they were ever going to score again was a set piece or a mistake, or, as it happens, both. We weren’t beaten by a better team or by a moment of magic; we beat ourselves and gifted away a golden chance for promotion. That’s why it hurts so much and why it will take a long, long time to get over this one.

What has not really been discussed on this forum (to my knowledge) and what concerns me the most since the vote on how to end this season in mid-June is whether there will even be a League 1 season next year because of Covid-19. There’s enough money in the Championship that I was confident that if Oxford went up, I would be able to watch us play each week next year.

But, given the costs of regular Covid testing and the lack of match day revenues, is anyone confident that this group of League 1 owners who voted not to finish THIS season are going to agree to start NEXT season and pay all the costs associated with up to a 46-game League season without fans? I don’t really want to add further doom and gloom on a day like this, but even if there is no second wave in England next winter (which seems unlikely), I find it really difficult to believe that the owners will agree to start the 2020/21 League 1 season in September and all teams are going to play 46 games to the finish.

Back
Top Bottom