Ref Watch 03/07/2020 Pompey v OUFC L1 Play Off Semi Final L1 - Gavin Ward

How was Gavin Ward's performance against Pompey?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fairly consistent, did well after a long break to get up and running again.

Idve given him maybe 7 , but on more than a couple of times he was conned/ hoodwinked by Pompey players ,... then in the last few minutes, he awarded Pompey 2 corners, both should've been goal kicks ... no crowd there to pressurise him, so its a generous, ok/ 5 from me

Did well enough for me. Definitely better than the Ref in the Fleetwood-Wycombe game.

Thought he was pretty kind to us tbh.

I have to say I was relieved when Brannagan only got a yellow for that flare up in the first half. Some refs get influenced by the players and go for a red in those situations. I do wonder if there had been a few thousand baying pompey fans in the stadium things might have been different. Having said that the replay shows Brannagan didnt even deserve a yellow and the portsmouth player was lucky not to get a red for his reaction.

I have to say I was relieved when Brannagan only got a yellow for that flare up in the first half. Some refs get influenced by the players and go for a red in those situations. I do wonder if there had been a few thousand baying pompey fans in the stadium things might have been different. Having said that the replay shows Brannagan didnt even deserve a yellow and the portsmouth player was lucky not to get a red for his reaction.

Yellow was fine for both IMO.
Gorrin's meanwhile was an awful, cynical tackle and definitely a dark yellow.
Of the penalties, the handball was definitely one for me...can't have your hands up there. The wrestling one probably not, the one at the end who knows (referees in Germany are saying situations like that are easier to judge because of the lack of noise, they hear contact much easier).
Apart from that I thought the ref did well, let it flow and got most decisions right.

Of the penalties, the handball was definitely one for me...can't have your hands up there. The wrestling one probably not, the one at the end who knows (referees in Germany are saying situations like that are easier to judge because of the lack of noise, they hear contact much easier).
Apart from that I thought the ref did well, let it flow and got most decisions right.

I thought Burgess did similar [to Gorrin] on Browne.

The shout at the end, no. Clear dive although there was contact. Either of the other 2 could have been given.

Brannagan tweet - “Roll on Monday” That’s put my mind at rest a little bit re: the injury.

oops, wrong thread..

Ref did a decent job. Although he should have booked Ronan Curtis ? for his Olympic worthy diving

Last edited:

I thought it was a quality tackle by Gorrin, as a former defender I had to appreciate the cynical brutality of it. He is there to do the dark stuff, without him we would be a soft touch, he is a big reason for the improvement on last season.

I thought it was a quality tackle by Gorrin, as a former defender I had to appreciate the cynical brutality of it. He is there to do the dark stuff, without him we would be a soft touch, he is a big reason for the improvement on last season.
Never heard of the term "dark yellow" before, but you see them kinda fouls given away fairly often, he deffo took one for the team.

The type of foul Gorrin did should be changed to a straight Red, all this taking one for the team is not what football should be about

I thought the Ref handled the game very well and sensibly

The type of foul Gorrin did should be changed to a straight Red, all this taking one for the team is not what football should be about

I thought the Ref handled the game very well and sensibly

The game has gone soft enough for me, no need to take it any further.

I thought the performance was an average L1 performance. Bit inconsistent on persistent offending allowing Browne to be kicked about, got fed up with the constant handball and penalty shouts from Pompey but no massive mistakes either

I thought the performance was an average L1 performance. Bit inconsistent on persistent offending allowing Browne to be kicked about, got fed up with the constant handball and penalty shouts from Pompey but no massive mistakes either

Spot on. Pretty much a carbon copy of the league game their.

Back
Top Bottom