Away Match Day Thread 12/03/24 - L1: Bolton Wanderers v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So they lost yesterday. Does this mean we are winners?

There’s losing and there’s losing. They battled - and played well - to the 97th minute. We gave it a go for about 5 minutes at Bolton and then played sh*te.

There’s losing and there’s losing. They battled - and played well - to the 97th minute. We gave it a go for about 5 minutes at Bolton and then played sh*te.

Well, we'll just see what @dickwalton1964 from two weeks ago has to say about that sort of thing shall we?

Whether we played well today or not it’s another defeat. 20 points in 20 games, is that right ? Come on, that’s appalling.

Hmmm. Maybe you should take it up with him via PM?

That seems a lifetime ago. You can’t compare us now. They are just better, better in every respect. They have the look now of a proper top six side, I’ve always assumed they’re punching a bit above their weight but they look the real deal and as good as the others up there. Very surprising but fair play to them.
I watched them against Blackpool. Physical organised and so much sharper than us, currently.

It’s all ifs and buts, but what we do know is, we’re still only one point off of the play offs after this week’s games and have got to play both Stevenage and Lincoln at home.

Are we looking like we’ll win them? not likely. Are Lincoln on fire? seems that way. So on paper it appears that we’re probably the less likely team to end up in that 6th spot, but whilst there’s a chance I think we’ve got to try and believe and stick with it until either the end of the season or it’s not mathematically possible for us to make the play offs. At the end of the day it’s now only 8 games left or fingers crossed it’s 11 games.

Just don’t think it’s the right time to be sacking managers/making wholesale changes at this point. So I think all we can do at the minute is get behind the team etc and hope for the best. Hard I know, but we’ve just got to stick together.

It’s all ifs and buts, but what we do know is, we’re still only one point off of the play offs after this week’s games and have got to play both Stevenage and Lincoln at home.

Are we looking like we’ll win them? not likely. Are Lincoln on fire? seems that way. So on paper it appears that we’re probably the less likely team to end up in that 6th spot, but whilst there’s a chance I think we’ve got to try and believe and stick with it until either the end of the season or it’s not mathematically possible for us to make the play offs. At the end of the day it’s now only 8 games left or fingers crossed it’s 11 games.

Just don’t think it’s the right time to be sackingmanagers/making wholesale changes at this point. So I think all we can do at the minute is get behind the team etc and hope for the best. Hard I know, but we’ve just got to stick together.
Many will say if we've reached a point where all we have to cling onto is 'belief' then it is exactly the time to sack the manager.

Just don’t think it’s the right time to be sacking managers/making wholesale changes at this point. So I think all we can do at the minute is get behind the team etc and hope for the best. Hard I know, but we’ve just got to stick together.

Couldn't agree more!

I keep getting told on here that a ‘new manager bounce’ is inevitable though, so shouldn’t we sack the manager, bring in a new one, and use the bounce to propel us into the playoffs?!

Many will say if we've reached a point where all we have to cling onto is 'belief' then it is exactly the time to sack the manager.
Well, Malcom Boyden got us all to ‘believe’ in 2010, and look what happened then!! 😉🤣

I keep getting told on here that a ‘new manager bounce’ is inevitable though, so shouldn’t we sack the manager, bring in a new one, and use the bounce to propel us into the playoffs?!
I take it that this is a tongue in cheek comment based upon Des’ appointment?🤣

A word of advice: utterly disregard anyone who tells you that a ‘new manager bounce’ is inevitable.

These are the kind of people who salute magpies. They're not deep thinkers.

Top manager bounce since the premiership started after half a dozen matches...
Screenshot_2024-03-14-10-31-51-53_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
The worse manager bounce since the premiership started after half a dozen matches
Screenshot_2024-03-14-10-34-02-08_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Nigel Pearson comes out top , they were fighting survival.....

Since Buckingham has joined we have looked and played like a relegation team. The results have backed this up. Scraping a 2-1 over Cheltenham being a highlight of his tenure tells it all It's crazy how he hasn't been sacked. He's a pub team manager and we play like one. Watch port Vale dominate us on Saturday.

So none of the below is meant to excuse our performance, which was utterly, utterly abject. Or state that I think that Des has shown he's the man for the job, because I don't think anyone could state that with a straight face at the moment.....

......but I just inflicted the highlights on myself, and as horrendous as we were, Bolton were really, really good. Their first and fourth goals were sublime pieces of football.

It boggles the mind, watching Böðvarsson play, that he's basically 5th choice now for a League One side (behind their injured trio, and Collins). Or that they're able to bring players the quality of Iredale, Dempsey & Morley off the bench. Contrast those guys with the choices we had on Tuesday (and our injury list is no longer than theirs), and it's a stark contrast.

For all that it feels like we've spent a lot of money our squad, we can't touch Bolton for depth of quality. A lot of work still to do - this summer is going to be massive, as we have to take the money we're saving from offloading a lot of bloated contracts and actually use it to produce an effective, properly balanced squad.

Whether we have the people at the club who are capable of doing that is, of course, an open question.......

Back
Top Bottom