Home Match Day Thread +++ 11/1/2020 OUFC V Rotherham United L1 +++

What it needs is more singers in the North stand near the netting to have a bit of banter with the away supporters. The acoustics are such that the noise would bounce off the South Stand more instead of disappearing over the fence as it does from the Mail stand.

Sat next to the netting today I could count on one hand how many times the Oxford Mail Stand sounded loud.

It’s not a criticism, it’s just the way it was (probably due to the team failing to turn up for 45 minutes).

FWIW there now appears to be a complete lack of enthusiasm for atmosphere from those sat in the North Stand. Has the family stand had a negative impact on that? Also, only one kiosk for the whole stand is certainly why a significant number of my group who would sing, have now moved to the SSU. When there is a reasonable crowd, it’s nigh on impossible to get a drink and drink it in the allotted 15 minutes for half time.

The club should go with humble apology to the ultras and pay them a kingly monthly budget to help the atmosphere

it was a catastrophic own goal how they were treated

May have been said already but did both of their first two goals come from long goal kicks which Ruffels failed to win in the air, and then was way out of position? Maybe we would have been better playing it short.

Personally I don’t like it when KR tries to be clever with his team selection, felt like he was putting out a tall team (Mackie and Moore) to try and combat them. We seem to do better when we just play our best team and do things our way, and make the opposition deal with us.

It seemed to me that the difference was that Rotherham were a few microseconds quicker to the ball, and had better control, particularly in the first half. Dickie, Moore and Long particularly seemed to have trouble with a slightly heavy touch when controlling the ball. The first goal (I think) seemed to caused by a Rotherham player keeping the ball in when we expected it to go out (well inside their half). From then on they made two excellent passes, for the goal but were only able to because we were still waking up to the fact that the ball hadn’t gone out!

Also in the first half Fosu ran about like a chicken because he had no outlet.

In the second half the subs massively improved our reaction times and control. That then stretch their defence a bit and provided Fosu an extra couple of inches of space, and some outlets.

Felt sorry for Taylor. His offside was due to a very canny nudge from their centre half as their back line stepped up. Matty tried to step back with them but was levered off so he was actually a yard or two off when the ball was played. He must also be spitting chips that he didn’t put his best chance away.

I still can’t believe that Baptiste managed to tackle himself 3 yards from goal by trying a roll over!

Come on blaming KR for that defeat.
In the first half Rotherham were the better side?
Their first goal was an unfortunate comedy of errors. From our goal kick the challenged header looks like it’s going out, it may well have done. Everyone stops apart from their lad who heads it forward. Brannagan still has his hand in the air when their lad turns passed him. Then Gorrin who’s with the man down the flank can’t make a challenge because he’s just been booked. Ruffles is out of position so Moore comes across and fails to stop the cross and the class ball in is met well by Vassell but Dickie and Long are marking space.
The second is again from our goal kick to the left side a challenged header drops to them in midfield and they just punt it forward. Although Dickie and Long don’t deal with the first ball Vassell is not clear and shouldn’t get a chance with two players around him but Eastwood! What was he thinking? Comes for a ball he would never have got to and is miles from his goal line.
For their third why Moore doesn’t just put the ball away only he can tell. But he passes behind an unfit Brannagan who hardly known where the ball is.
But even with us off the pace they hardly forced much from Eastwood. Second half we had so many chances to at least draw.
I guess if KR was to blame it was playing Brannagan but most of us right?

Taylor has to start over Mackie unless injured. And as others have said, that is not with hindsight!

Nathan asking Mackie about not getting any chances and it being difficult up top on your own, and Mackie replies to say that’s the role. It’s not the bloody role! Taylor plays the same role and always gets chances as he makes intelligent runs and knows how to get in goal scoring positions. How many crosses have flashes across the 6 yard box this season with Mackie nowhere to be seen!?

Brannagans attempted tackle leading to their first. Oh dear. He just gave up. Eastwood walked / dived out of the way for the 1st as well. Left the whole goal open. Gorrin lost his man for their 3rd

Last edited:
I am certainly not going to throw our team under the bus for a very lacklustre 45 minutes.

Being wise after the event is all very well, but the team that was picked to start yesterday has won us a lot of games this season.

Tactically, we were out-thought for 45 minutes. 45 minutes where they exercised control over us, then for most of the second half we were on the front foot.
My only real gripe is that we often get in the position to shoot, the gap opens up and... we take another touch or pass it when foot should have been firmly smacked on ball goalwards.
They were all guilty of this.

My advice now is the same as everyone’s yesterday - FFS SHOOT!!

Brannagans attempted tackle leading to their first. Oh dear. He just gave up. Eastwood walked / dived out of the way for the 1st as well. Left the whole goal open. Gorrin lost his man for their 3rd

Ouch! Just as i was starting to forget!

Haven’t read all the comments as yet, but on that performance nobody will be putting in bids for Dickie, Baptiste, Eastwood or Cam,
Have watched the goals back, first the cross was totally unopposed, Eastwood went the wrong way, but where were the central defenders, second goal, 2 defenders on there and Eastwood runs out and stops, he should continue or stay, third goal a catalogue of mistakes. What did Shandon think he was up to with that chance early in the second half, shoot don’t try and be clever, that should have made it 1-3, then Matty misses, what for him is an easier one that was disallowed,(can’t see if it was or not) so it should have been 2-3 with 15 to go....... a win on Tuesday and we can forget yesterday’s bad performance. The rays of sunshine Browne and Holland both looked quality, Fosu looked better when they came on.

Come on blaming KR for that defeat.
In the first half Rotherham were the better side?

Their first goal was an unfortunate comedy of errors. From our goal kick the challenged header looks like it’s going out, it may well have done. Everyone stops apart from their lad who heads it forward. Brannagan still has his hand in the air when their lad turns passed him. Then Gorrin who’s with the man down the flank can’t make a challenge because he’s just been booked. Ruffles is out of position so Moore comes across and fails to stop the cross and the class ball in is met well by Vassell but Dickie and Long are marking space.
The second is again from our goal kick to the left side a challenged header drops to them in midfield and they just punt it forward. Although Dickie and Long don’t deal with the first ball Vassell is not clear and shouldn’t get a chance with two players around him but Eastwood! What was he thinking? Comes for a ball he would never have got to and is miles from his goal line.
For their third why Moore doesn’t just put the ball away only he can tell. But he passes behind an unfit Brannagan who hardly known where the ball is.
But even with us off the pace they hardly forced much from Eastwood. Second half we had so many chances to at least draw.
I guess if KR was to blame it was playing Brannagan but most of us right?

Rotherham were the better side because of KR's team selection how was he not to Blame

That's even worse than I remember it, their first 2 goals come from are goal kick and kicking it long. Can't we play out the back, I thought the rule was we can have a defender in the penalty box on goal kicks. Eastwood I'm not sure where he was going on the first goal, but branagan just let there player run past him on the touch line. 2nd goal Eastwood should have stayed on his line he was never going go get the ball, 3rd goal Moore should of put his foot through it not try and play out on the edge of the box, if we would of had browne and Holland on the 3rd wouldnt of happened as Moore could of sent it down the line for one of pacy wingers. Damn them highlights have ruined my Sunday. I gave credit to rottherham for being the best team at the kassam I'm thinking now that we made them look good and gifted them all 3 goals. Roll on Tuesday so I can forget about it.

I am certainly not going to throw our team under the bus for a very lacklustre 45 minutes.

Being wise after the event is all very well, but the team that was picked to start yesterday has won us a lot of games this season.

Tactically, we were out-thought for 45 minutes. 45 minutes where they exercised control over us, then for most of the second half we were on the front foot.
My only real gripe is that we often get in the position to shoot, the gap opens up and... we take another touch or pass it when foot should have been firmly smacked on ball goalwards.
They were all guilty of this.

My advice now is the same as everyone’s yesterday - FFS SHOOT!!
I’ve been saying SHOOT for years now and we still haven’t learned.

Even with the benefit of a night’s sleep I’m struggling to understand anybody who doesn’t think the negative team selection and tactics had anything to do with getting smashed in the first half. We completely waved the white flag before the game even began and essentially said we wanted to try to contain them for 60 minutes, at home, and then try to pinch it. Not only had we already beaten them this season, and deservedly so, but most teams in the division this season refer to us as one of, if not the best side in the league. So why the hell worry about anybody in a home game on the back of a week off? Why give them that much respect when a win could put you back into the top two? Act like a big club, as has been asked of others. If you want to go up automatically you have to be brave enough to back yourself to be better than the teams you’re competing with. Certainly at home.

On a separate note, this idea that Mackie gives you experience and know how, and that the ball sticks upfield with him or he can win lots of headers, is a myth. He gives away free kicks for fun around the centre circle because he is always tussling with centre backs, and trying to roll them and grapple them and make them go over the back of him as he can’t jump, and as a result it gives them an opportunity to punt long into the box. If you’re trying to avoid teams pumping long balls at you, he is the player who gives away tonnes of opportunities to do so. That’s why even against Lincoln on Boxing Day it was awful to see him coming on when they’d put Akinde up top and were starting to put more and more crosses in as it was. Taylor wins more headers than him as he has a much better jump despite being maybe an inch shorter - two max - but he also poses more of a threat as he has clever movement and can run in behind, which means defenders naturally drop back and let us gain a few extra yards. That is actually what relieves pressure, not someone running about and bashing into people. It might seem good fun to watch and people might think that running around smashing players is a sign of commitment, but on a practical level it does nothing but concede possession and lead to you having less shots as a team. Even in the Hartlepool game it was 1-1 until Taylor came on for him, and then they crumbled as we became more fluid, mobile and potent, and there was a bit more space as the backline took two or three steps back. If anyone wants to talk about losing the midfield battle, let’s talk about how the opposition defence can push right up into it and squeeze the space, and therefore the players ahead of them can pick up more loose balls. Mackie stops us having shots because the defenders can push right up the pitch into the back of him, knowing not only will he likely foul them, but that he’s never going to turn them, or get on his bike and run the channels or in behind if the ball is laid off. This weird rotation between him and one of the top three strikers in the division has got to stop. Unless Taylor is markedly fatigued or not 100% fit he has to start every game. If he is fit, he must start. No sentiment.

And before anybody cries and craps their pants, I’m not making anybody a scapegoat. I’m giving an opinion and explaining why I hold it. Nobody has to burst into tears over it. It’s going to be okay.

What I do hope is that this all means the starting lineup against Ipswich will be a bit more mobile and actually possess some sort of pace, and show a bit more intent to try to win. I think we can win the game and start putting pressure on the top two spots again. There’s nobody in this division who should put fear into us on our own turf - or any division above as we’ve already seen this season. Let’s take it to them.

Tell me about it m my middle daughter out of three daughters gets married in June and thank god that’s the final one, but 3 weddings in 5 years is bloody expensive ???
After yesterday’s debacle, I’m quite happy to get going with a bit more wedding news. Is the venue agreed? Do you approve of the son in law to be? Does he like football? Who does he support? All of this and more can while away the hours until we get back to winning ways! Not being nosy or anythin.

All in all, another team that did their homework, figured out our weaknesses and set up accordingly. How simple is it to figure out that if you press far up the pitch, Easty will hoof long and then it's relatively simple for a team, with height advantage, to pick off those hoofed balls? Given that Rotherham have been strong on crosses and high balls into the box all season, what else did we expect? Didn't help that we gave their number 19, Ogbene, freedom to cross almost at leisure. Brannagan wants to play, fine but only if he's fit as judged by the fitness team not just on his say so. I love watching Mackie winding up defenders and getting in the officials ears but, if that's all he is bringing to the game then that's not enough.
And, do our players actually communicate with each other? If they do then I'm guessing that it is by psychic connection because I could barely hear anything. Some of our passing looked to be decided on by guesswork as they seldom reached one of our players.
It is very disheartening to watch our team fall apart as they did in the first half especially when in the second, we played a different football altogether. The injection of pace, control and directness afforded by Browne, Holland and Taylor gave us an edge and could, had we got shots on target, have won us the game.
Yes, the officials lacked, as usual, consistency and a balanced approach but we get that every week in this league but that didn't decide the game, poor decision making and an almost naive belief that we would win sufficient high balls to influence the outcome let us down. Dealing with a high press must form some part of training, we are a team that are best playing the ball on the ground, and with the arrival of Browne and Holland (and Kelly, when match fit) coupled with Baptiste, Fosu and a fit Brannagan all looking to deliver to Taylor will see us promoted.

Our tactics have been found out for a few weeks now since the start of December. We have got away with it a lot of times with our players generally being better than the opposition. But the chances created have definitely dried up. Packing midfield, long balls particularly over/towards the full backs, a higher press against our defenders and stopping our wide players crossing from dangerous areas seems to have scuppered the successful plan we had earlier in the season. And this must have been recognised by KR as the introduction of Holland and Browne does signify an alternative to the tactics.

I can't help but feel yesterday with the really strong wind towards the JS Stand we could have done with attacking the other way first half. Against such a direct side we were always going to struggle to get the ball clear from defence in those conditions and it was all about the team kicking that way first half getting a decent lead to half time and defending it second half.

We got to this position playing good attacking free flowing football which relied on Fosu and Branagan being on top form, Gorrin not getting booked and the full backs crossing from the edge of the penalty area. None of these are now happening so it is now down to the management team to find the right mix to get us having more opportunities to score and Holland and Browne might just be the right signings to do this. The players are good enough, the system just needs to be right and we might need to grind out a few results for 2 or 3 more weeks yet before the right new formula is found. We have a bit of a freeroll towards the end of the season now to try and make the plays off with absolutely no worry that we can be relegated.

Back
Top Bottom