Home Match Day Thread +++ 11/1/2020 OUFC V Rotherham United L1 +++

It was a great pass and run. I don't think anyone has a problem saying Rotherham were good, and I don't think they scored that goal because of Eastwood, but I don't think Eastwood could have done much more to make it easier for them. Below screen shows the moment the ball is hit. I don't think he had any more awareness of Vassell's run than Dickie did, and if he had stayed put then he would have made the striker do more to earn the goal. He ends up getting out of the way. I like Eastwood, I think he's a great keeper for us, there's no harm in calmly pointing out that he is one of four or five players who could have done something differently.

View attachment 2731

I think those of us that spend too much time thinking about Oxford games on here are present whether we win or lose. Most of us are being pretty reasoned about it, and personally I enjoy looking at football in detail and trying to learn more about it. I don't agree that football analysis is made up by pundits, I think that professional clubs are going to continue to develop the way they approach the game and ask more from their players in terms of preparation and awareness.

We employ Garry Parker specifically to analyse the opposition and prepare the players for the match plan in training sessions, and we can be sure plenty of other clubs are looking at us in more detail each week than the handful of anoraks on here. Not really sure who we're harming to be honest.

If Kelly is fit to play then he could be a very interesting option whilst Brannagan recovers. Play him deep and let Baptiste push forwards a bit more.

I could get behind the Browne/Sykes idea for Tuesday, probably spot on about not throwing Holland in at the deep end. What we saw was so promising though! :)

CamBran clearly wants to play, which is a good thing. Now we know he might be too eager, it's up to Robinson to manage it.

If you look at the start of the move Long is level with Vassell. Long simply doesn't stay with the runner, or, as a second option communicate to Dickie the striker is behind him. It is just a straight run from Vassell, despite being a great ball we could have done a lot prior to this point.

My manager analysis of the goals.

First goal - Ruffels out of position and Moore didn't close down enough to stop the cross (he could have done), Dickie then just didn't look to see where Vasells was running.

Second goal - Dickie again too easily lost by Vasells. Eastwood should never ever have come for the ball, but Dickie should have dealt with it.

Third goal - Moore should just hace cleared it!

While it was men against boys in the first half, we could have done much better with all 3 goals, and can't really remember Rotherham having other good chances.

Taylor and Browne should both have started... And that's not hindsight, just playing the best players.

The main major one was Rotherham's disallowed goal for a foul on Eastwood in the first few minutes, should never have disallowed seeing it from East Stand as Eastwood just got it wrong. But I agree with your general points.

If you look at the start of the move Long is level with Vassell. Long simply doesn't stay with the runner, or, as a second option communicate to Dickie the striker is behind him. It is just a straight run from Vassell, despite being a great ball we could have done a lot prior to this point.

Oof you are right, although Long is always the wrong side. Perhaps with a shout, Dickie attacks the ball a bit more actively. I agree that goal is avoidable at several points.

Oof you are right, although Long is always the wrong side. Perhaps with a shout, Dickie attacks the ball a bit more actively. I agree that goal is avoidable at several points.
To be fair it all happened so quickly. Where did that winger spring from?!

We’re lucky to have so many insightful commenters on this board, compared to other clubs ‘ forums.

Simple question: why is Robinson reluctant to play Taylor for 90 minutes? Puzzling in the extreme.....
Just sharing the load I think.
And of course he prefers Mackie in certain games.
Personally I think they always thought that Agyei would play more but it is obvious that they don’t fully trust him.
Agyei will be loaned out with another coming in I would assume.

The main major one was Rotherham's disallowed goal for a foul on Eastwood in the first few minutes, should never have disallowed seeing it from East Stand as Eastwood just got it wrong. But I agree with your general points.

Watching it in Ifollow it did seem a foul, he had an arm across Eastwood

Had to take a break from posting after the game yesterday. First half was a reality check. Flat as as it gets. Second half saw some fight and desire but it was too little, too late. Great introductions from Browne and Holland. Both go straight into team for Tuesday. COYY

I don’t think it was anything too complicated yesterday. They were just fitter and physically more imposing than us and with a decent level of technical ability. Man for man on a footballing level we probably shade it but as a collective they were just too strong.

Back
Top Bottom