• SUB: Edwards

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • SUB: McEachran

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SUB: Perkins

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m not Long’s biggest fan but we look a bit more purposeful with him in the team. He just seems stronger and thinks quicker than Stevens. It could be Stevens adjusting to L1 but he looks a little bit light and tentative and I’ll be happier when Long returns. Not writing Stevens off, think he just needs time to get the physicality of L1 football.

1 defeat in 5 and some are already picking out which players aren’t good enough!

It must be s**t always having to look for negatives rather than look at the positives.
I think it's about a balance Steve. Recognising that we have started very well but came undone against a team doing the dark arts and defending stoutly. Again.

We have to learn from that.

'Offers more on the ball' than Long? I don't think so. In the second half he barely did anything but pass backwards and sideways. An upgrade on Long he ain't.
In all fairness I agree, second half he wasn't particularly productive with the ball. I would ask though, how often does Long go sideways and backwards? We were also down to 10 men with no focal point for most of it which doesn't help, especially as Harris often offers himself as a pretty simple out ball but running the channels.

The first half he played a few switches, some came off and some didn't but he offered something different. He put in at least one really good cross and also made space for Goodrham by overlapping several times, something Long seldom does anymore. Perhaps saying it's specifically on the ball was the wrong choice but when we're in possession he does offer more than Long, either on the ball himself or creating space with a run.

Yep. We have enough quality I think. But we hugely missed a trick yesterday. Marriott or Eisa in that team today and we win 3-1 (and we are not facing 3 games with a totally untried loaner up front alone)

You say this like we forgot to pick up a striker like we've nipped to the shop and come back without bread!

We certainly looked at a deal for Mariott, and made serious enquires about other strikers. But if they're not for sale, or the price bring asked is stupid, then we walk away.

You were saying that Harris wasn't a striker until he scored 3 in 2 games (as well as being a complete f*****g nuisance upfront). And you're now saying that Perkins isn't good enough after seeing him play a couple of minutes. Six months ago, Sonny Perkins would have been rated higher than Evan Ferguson and hes just banged in a PL hattrick.

So maybe we just wait and see what happens rather than writing the season off because of one sending off!

There's very mixed emotions on here of course after today's fiasco, and people are entitled to have their views. I'm afraid I'm quite disappointed after today, and I see faint echoes of the dark days under KR....results not going our way, us not adapting well enough to unlock teams, key players losing their heads at crucial times. I also rather wished Manning had gone all KR about the ref after the game as a lot of fans were feeling frustrated and annoyed and wanted our manager to express how we were feeling!!

I hope the team will learn from this but I'm also a bit worried some glaring errors will resurface due to the lack of experience of some of our players, and that the lack of the experienced number 9 WILL come back to haunt us, I'm not convinced GO'D or Perkins will score enough and I'm not even sure Harris is best suited up top.....

I like Manning and he kept us up last season, and he has done some remarkable work so far with this squad, but it is now going to be a bit of a test for him - it's more of his team and players now and he needs to say and do the right things so the whole club can put this stupid day behind us.

Fleetwood is never an easy place to go and I think our record there is not great, so we need to show that we can bounce back, that we can cope with the changes that will be enforced upon us due to suspensions, and right the wrongs of today.

I have rarely been as vexed by a match as I was by today's. A combination of frustration at some astonishing refereeing and frustration that we threw away three points against what looked an incredibly mediocre side really just did for me.

Having been away for work since March, this was my first live game since Bristol Rovers at home last year (so apologies in advance for the long rambling thoughts). I was really curious to see what the new-look OUFC would resemble. And, as frustrating as today ultimately was, WOW - night and day. I know you've all already been treated to this for the last few weeks, but the team has so much structure, style and confidence. We looked great. Sure, we were lacking in ruthlessness in that first half, and we (arguably) lost some discipline second half, but the general performance, even with 10 men, I thought was of a very high standard.

Leigh looks brilliant, MacGuane and Brannagan absolutely bossed midfield (I liked the way RR would drop in to offer an out ball and bring in players, thought he plays into the system well) and enjoyed Harris' performance (until the obvious). Maybe not his best game today, but he was busy and added a threat with his running in behind, adds a lot for me. On the flip side, I wasn't wowed by Negru, after hearing such glowing reviews over the last few weeks, and I thought the wide players could have added more. Our depth was impressive though - Edwards and Mills looked very dangerous and MacEachran picked out some lovely balls.

The frustration is that we controlled the game so comprehensively but got nothing. Vale had barely had a shot before that dismissal. They defended reasonably well, but as others have said, you got the sense that we were slowly breaking them down, not panicking, continuing to exert pressure, and probably would have got something with Edwards and Mills getting in behind as late substitutions.

It is tempting to blame the ref. Certainly some of his key decisions were wrong and changed the match: the first Leigh yellow was a superb challenge, never a foul let alone a yellow, and obviously ultimately led to him being sent off; the 'offside' that was flagged just before the red (where the offside player did not touch the ball) killed our momentum in a key period; the 'foul' from which they scored the first was anything but; and the penalty, although I couldn't see clearly from the East and haven't seen any replays, so can't comment on whether it was the right decision or not, he initially gestured as a dive ('get up!' motion). That, along with the red card, where it's not clear that he saw the incident that led to the sending off, and was instead influenced by the Vale protests, seemed to suggest that he allowed himself to be swayed by their players. Weak and poor.

That said, we should have been comfortably ahead by the time of the sending off that changed the game. Failing to keep clean sheets is also becoming a concern - you'd expect to concede against some of the sides we've faced recently, but to concede from a set piece against a side that looked as if it had no other way of scoring is pretty unforgivable. And the Harris red, I didn't see - it doesn't seem anyone did (even the Port Vale accounts of the incident seem muddled) - but, assuming he did do something to warrant the reaction, is incredibly stupid.

In all, an extremely frustrating day, but one from which, in the cold light of day, I think there are a lot of positives to take. The stadium was also in better voice than I feel like I've heard it in years - great to see.

I still think we would probably have won that game had Harris not been sent off. We certainly wouldn’t have lost it, Vale comfortably the worst team we’ve faced this season. Fair play to Crosby as he’s got a very limited side well organised.

We do have to learn from this and I also am worried about goals, but I also think we have to realise that not everything is as black and white as it’s made out to be on here.

We’ve had an enormous turnover of players and completely rebuilt the squad. We’ve all said that it was going to be impossible to do everything in one window.

There aren’t many proven league 1 strikers available as, by the nature of the league system, most of those players go on to play in a higher league.

We were obviously in for Marriot but Fleetwood wouldn’t sell for a reasonable price, or maybe any price considering his importance. Nobody was able to get Ladapo and Ipswich still see him as part of their plans as he played (and scored 2 today).

I have no idea of the complexities of the transfer market but I really doubt manning and co were sat there, presented with a top striker and just went ‘nah f*ck it’ for a laugh.

I see that we've also gone to the default setting of criticising Sam Long following a defeat!!!

Might as well also point out that Simon Eastwood was absolutely nowhere for either goal too!!

You say this like we forgot to pick up a striker like we've nipped to the shop and come back without bread!

We certainly looked at a deal for Mariott, and made serious enquires about other strikers. But if they're not for sale, or the price bring asked is stupid, then we walk away.

You were saying that Harris wasn't a striker until he scored 3 in 2 games (as well as being a complete f*****g nuisance upfront). And you're now saying that Perkins isn't good enough after seeing him play a couple of minutes. Six months ago, Sonny Perkins would have been rated higher than Evan Ferguson and hes just banged in a PL hattrick.

So maybe we just wait and see what happens rather than writing the season off because of one sending off!
Difference is, neither Harris or the two wingers were anywhere to be seen when 3 (yes 3 balls) were flashed across the box. Harris works hard but he’s not going to score 20 a season imo. A top class poacher like Marriott is on the end of those flashed balls across the box today. We don’t have that, took our left back to be on the end of one of those balls. We will rue not signing and proven striker, even though the window was very very good & it’s no criticism of manning for not getting said striker.

I haven't said he isn't good enough. I've said he's unproven. He is. I desperately hope he is good enough, we need him to be. Lots of pressure on him now.

And I'm not sure how saying "we will end up in the playoffs" is writing is off.

People are questioning today because exactly what people were worried would happen (fail to break down a stubborn attack and then 2 of our 3 senior strikers be unavailable ) happened.

Manning and Williams are not infallible and they gave absolutely fouled up in not bolstering the front line. Simple.

Difference is, neither Harris or the two wingers were anywhere to be seen when 3 (yes 3 balls) were flashed across the box. Harris works hard but he’s not going to score 20 a season imo. A top class poacher like Marriott is on the end of those flashed balls across the box today. We don’t have that, took our left back to be on the end of one of those balls. We will rue not signing and proven striker, even though the window was very very good & it’s no criticism of manning for not getting said striker.
How can your comments not be a criticism of management. We had a remarkable transfer session and if the strikers we had earmarked were not available for sensible money what do you think we should have done? Sat outside the relevant clubs ground and thrown a tantrum so they said ok we will let you sign our forward just to get rid of you.....get real....not everyone wants to help us out by selling the players we wanted

Yes, let's dismiss the argument by saying 'end of'. A ridiculous comment. And you've come to that conclusion after seeing him play twice, have you?
To be fair, you have come to your conclusion that he isn't an upgrade on Long after seeing him play twice or so too! I think Stevens has a lot of potential and the first half he put some quality balls in. My early impression is he is better going forward than Long and much better on the ball but time will tell. It was difficult throughout including the second half as there was a lack of movement ahead of him including from Goodrham hence his lack of forward passing. Defensively he seems quite solid .

I see that we've also gone to the default setting of criticising Sam Long following a defeat!!!

Might as well also point out that Simon Eastwood was absolutely nowhere for either goal too!!
Sam Long being criticised..? From what I’m reading he’s the latest in the category of players who become better and better through not playing. Finn Stevens appears to be taking up the position of this seasons scapegoat when we lose. I know people are angry and frustrated but I thought he had a decent game today. Footballs all about opinions I suppose..

I haven't said he isn't good enough. I've said he's unproven. He is. I desperately hope he is good enough, we need him to be. Lots of pressure on him now.

And I'm not sure how saying "we will end up in the playoffs" is writing is off.

People are questioning today because exactly what people were worried would happen (fail to break down a stubborn attack and then 2 of our 3 senior strikers be unavailable ) happened.

Manning and Williams are not infallible and they gave absolutely fouled up in not bolstering the front line. Simple.
I don’t disagree with you about goals, I’m not sure Manning would either as he obviously wanted another striker in. But who was actually available for a reasonable price?

Ultimately, Derby who probably have the biggest budget, ended up with Waghorn and Washington. Would we honestly have been happy with that at the start of the season? They both have very mediocre goal records!

Of course, that's why he's only played some 200 games thus far. He's clearly not up to it. Your logic is indisputable.

That's because KR was inept at finding a replacement for him during his poor seasons. Other posters on here wanted him replaced as he's been average/below average for a long time

Another thing I would say, is our final ball could sometimes be better too. We had a couple of break aways in the second half and couldn’t quite slip Harris in. Think it was Rodrigues who couldn’t quite make the pass.

Also, if a ball is always being smashed across the face of goal, is it always the strikers fault for not being there? Could we not try and look up to pull it back and try to pick someone out!

I’ll be honest, I have not read everyone’s post on this thread, however, assuming somebody else has not made this comment…
People are missing the point. Radio Oxford are missing the point.
Yes, we have signed a striker/forward; sonny perkins, but he’s not experienced. We need an old head that leads the line. Dare I say it……..Matty Taylor.
Somebody Who knows whet to go when and where and is clever.
Harris out for 3 games is huge.

Sam Long being criticised..? From what I’m reading he’s the latest in the category of players who become better and better through not playing. Finn Stevens appears to be taking up the position of this seasons scapegoat when we lose. I know people are angry and frustrated but I thought he had a decent game today. Footballs all about opinions I suppose..
I agree with the point that Sam Long has suddenly improved after 2 games of not playing but I would say Perkins seems to have suddenly become a scape goat after playing 12 minutes!

Hopefully once a few people have slept on it then they will start thinking a bit more clearly.

I would say that with the knock to GOD as well as others have a few niggles, it might be a good think Lincoln is off next week. Plus it gives Manning more time on the training pitch with the squad.

Those scruffier chances are the balls flashed across the box that happened 3 times today and nobody was on the end of it. It’s always been that way. A top class finisher is on the end of those chances. That’s what we are missing, for all he works hard. Harris is not a poacher and won’t be in the box when those balls flash across the box
Although you’ve got to give some credit to PV for this. The first time it happened the PV centre half was literally sumo wresting Harris to stop him getting there. It was more like NFL than FA!

Back
Top Bottom