• Poll closed .
Cheltenham
Port Vale
Lincoln
Shrewsbury
Fleetwood
Burton
Exeter

All winnable. I also think that we'll beat Stevenage in the last home game to cement our playoff place.
I pray you’re right Scotchers, and I admire your optimism, but on the form this team has shown under Des, I just can’t see it happening.

We’re a team that likes to (try) to play football, but we struggle against physical anti football spoiler teams, and most of the teams you’ve listed are exactly that…

Here’s hoping 🤞

That's about as likely as Tyler Burey building us a fourth stand at Legoland during his trips to Denmark...

Why else would he have gone there?

Oh, except for the women, beer, pastries, sandwiches, and bacon. So I'm with the Egg...six wins, two draws, and two defeats (damn!) to get us into the playoffs.

If I wasn't over optimistic about my team, why would I have supported them for 60 plus years?
Jesus, if he’s gone there for the beer, pastries, sandwiches and bacon, then no wonder he can’t get in the squad!

One promising performance doesn't change that

By its very definition, it does. It’s promising. It shows promise. It promises better.

It shows we are capable of playing a brand of football that would give us a real chance of picking up those points, regardless of the preceding 19 games.

Surely the hope that we can do that is what being a football fan is about?

Pragmatism dictates that the likelihood of reproducing that performance over the next 10 games when we’ve only seen it once in 20 is slim. I’m not an idiot.

But if we’ve done it once we can do it again, and until it’s mathematically impossible I’ll just carrying on hoping for the best 👍

Jesus, if he’s gone there for the beer, pastries, sandwiches and bacon, then no wonder he can’t get in the squad!
To be fair Carlsberg's premium beer, Elephant is pretty good. It's very difficult to find and very expensive in the UK (especially post Brexit, of course!).

It’s still a loss whatever the team was, Burey should at least had a chance I reckon.

He wants to keep players on the squad, so he keeps Thorniley on the bench rather than Negru instead, weird.

Mid table I reckon.

Surely this is what being a football fan is about? If we accepted the realism of supporting a club that has not played higher than this for over 25 years, travelling up and down the country to the likes of Droitwich, Barrow, Stafford Rangers etc, spending thousands of pounds, putting games before friends and family and missing all sorts of social events, then none of us would go to games.

I wear my yellow tinted glasses with pride and will continue to do so, especially when we're maybe 6 wins away from the playoffs and then anything could happen.

You can poke your pragmatism!
But that is the realism of where we are as a Club. It doesn't mean we have to like it.
All true fans will stick with the Club through thick and thin.
We've been through some very thin times, things are looking brighter with the owners seemingly happy to finance the club and of cause the hope of a new stadium can't be underestimated.
The future is looking brighter.
As fans we all have different levels of optimism, you seem to have eternal optimism.
There's nothing wrong with that, I will carry on with my pragmatism if that's ok.

As fans we all have different levels of optimism, you seem to have eternal optimism.
There's nothing wrong with that, I will carry on with my pragmatism if that's ok.

Of course it's OK. But many of those who are realist or pragmatic seem to have a lot more stress and enjoy the football a lot less than us eternal optimists.

To be fair Carlsberg's premium beer, Elephant is pretty good. It's very difficult to find and very expensive in the UK (especially post Brexit, of course!).
Knockout beer. Went to the Carlsberg brewery back in 77 ( Royal Navy ) he said the tour takes normally 4 hours but he’ll do it in 1 hr then we will go to the pavilion for trying the brew, for there we all had 4 specials then he said we drank to fast so he would bring something stronger…..only 2 bottles elephant beer tbh I don’t think any of us including the officers could remeber anything god that Elephant beer a strong.
Found out at the time it was illegal to sell in the U.K.

Last edited:
I’m sorry, but Carlsberg and the words premium beer don’t go together I’m afraid

It is utterly delusional to suggest we will win at least 6 of our last 10 games.

We’ve won 5 in 20 under Des in L1.

We’re averaging 1.1 points a game on average.

I get you can be optimistic but there’s been nothing in a few months to suggest we’re about to go on a big winning run.

Realism means being realistic about the players at Bickingham's disposal for the majority of that time.

We are a better team when our best players are fit,

I don;t know what colour your glasses are- brown probably since you seem only to want see the sh1ttiest aspect of things,
No need for insults because my opinion doesn't match your own.
I don't actually wear glasses, unlike yourself with your head firmly in the sand I can see clearly the regression we've seen since Buckingham's tenure.
If you want to keep your head in the sand and just hope everything will come good and ignore the results and performances then I guess that's your call.

My thought at the time was that Moore was trying to concede the foul to break up the counter. Ref even put his whistle to his lips 😔
Just think if either of them stand then their player wouldn’t have had a free run at goal. Just a shame as we deserved more.

You accused other of wearing Yellow tinted spectacles.

You clearly don’t want to see anything positive. I’m sorry for you. There was a lot to enjoy about that last game even if the result was very disappointing,

By its very definition, it does. It’s promising. It shows promise. It promises better.

It shows we are capable of playing a brand of football that would give us a real chance of picking up those points, regardless of the preceding 19 games.

Surely the hope that we can do that is what being a football fan is about?

Pragmatism dictates that the likelihood of reproducing that performance over the next 10 games when we’ve only seen it once in 20 is slim. I’m not an idiot.

But if we’ve done it once we can do it again, and until it’s mathematically impossible I’ll just carrying on hoping for the best 👍
I'm sure as fans we all hope for the best.
Let's hope Saturday's performance is the catalyst for us picking up enough points to see us in to the playoffs.

No need for insults because my opinion doesn't match your own.
I don't actually wear glasses, unlike yourself with your head firmly in the sand I can see clearly the regression we've seen since Buckingham's tenure.
If you want to keep your head in the sand and just hope everything will come good and ignore the results and performances then I guess that's your call.
Luckily this forum does not represent the majority of fans just the self opinionated. The majority I spoke to yesterday want to give Des time. Keep the faith

We will maybe be in an agree to disagree situation here.

Stevens stood over the ball for some time looking unsure and scanning for options. Portsmouth were well structured and our players were static.

In reality it was a good opportunity to play the ball forward as a set piece. We’ve seen a multitude of teams perform that against us with reasonable threat this season.

Eventually Stevens played an almost completely sideways pass. If Leigh does control that (and he would need to do it instantly and perfectly) then he’s almost in an identical position to where stevens started on the other side of the pitch, but the ball is now live and Portsmouth are closing both him down and any of his options down. A player was very quickly over there.

So then the ball into the box is now gone. The ball into the center is gone. And he needs to win a 1v1 as the last defender on that side. Seems a little risky ? I really hope that’s not the training plan and directive.

As for the low grade technical delivery and receipt, I would say that’s symptomatic of the pressure of no obvious options / plan and a reaction to needing to actually take the kick in a timely manner.

On every level it was a mess. Looked unplanned. And was the direct cause that we turned potential goal threat offensive action into a quick negative transition to counter attack, defence and a goal conceded.

For the record and as stated elsewhere I thought yesterday’s performance was a massive performance on recent weeks.
I'll hold my hands up here a bit, I missed the start and only saw that on the extended highlights, it looked like it was taken quicker to me. If we waited a while to take it it's not as impressive, I still prefer it to going backwards as we often do.

That said Stevens is good enough to play that pass and once teams are moving about you're more likely to have joy. Fair play to Pompey for taking a quick throw, I've said a few times I wish we moved it quicker. Mistakes after that too as Brown commited to a ball he wasn't going to get and Moore didn't get his feet sorted (a nice parallel with the second goal, where Moore commited to a ball he wasn't going to get and Brown didn't get his feet sorted). Having said all that though a League One keeper has to save that shot 10 times out of 10 and has to take the largest share of the blame, his mistake was bigger than anyone else's. It's not the first clanger he's dropped either since he's been here.

You accused other of wearing Yellow tinted spectacles.

You clearly don’t want to see anything positive. I’m sorry for you. There was a lot to enjoy about that last game even if the result was very disappointing,
You're assumption of myself is wrong.
There were positives to take from yesterday. Let's hope that is a sign of better things to come.
I really hope that is the case.
All I'm saying is you can't just forget the abject performances over the last 20 games.

Back
Top Bottom