Current Player #22 Greg Leigh

Players also have been known to overhit the ball to players who they have a dislike off to make them look poorer as more chance of making an error , a firm pass yes but the best players stroke the ball ' weight ' the ball rather than say run faster or you should control it !

I used the word accurately, I was lucky enough to play with many and against a fair few former professionals.
And they all drilled the ball at you when passing, and as I was told. It’s down to you to control it.
Players had better ability , were quicker and physically stronger each step up.
I know. Of course it should be accurate. It is however possible to hit a pass too hard regardless of how accurate it is. That’s what I think Greg does. I don’t think others on the team do it and I don’t think you can criticise cam or Moore of underhitting passes, so clearly there is some dynamic range there.

Players also have been known to overhit the ball to players who they have a dislike off to make them look poorer as more chance of making an error , a firm pass yes but the best players stroke the ball ' weight ' the ball rather than say run faster or you should control it !
If it’s deliberately bad, a sensible player would just leave it. And have a chuckle.

I know. Of course it should be accurate. It is however possible to hit a pass too hard regardless of how accurate it is. That’s what I think Greg does. I don’t think others on the team do it and I don’t think you can criticise cam or Moore of underhitting passes, so clearly there is some dynamic range there.
There will always be misplaced passes, it’s played by humans.
The game is about mistakes, generally the team that makes the least, usually wins.

There will always be misplaced passes, it’s played by humans.
The game is about mistakes, generally the team that makes the least, usually wins.
I don’t mean misplaced passes. I mean perfectly placed passes that have been hit too hard. It’s a thing.

Excellent today, he seemed to have developed a reputation for being a bit of liability defensively but he was solid against a very good winger. Still contributed going forwards and it was nearly a great finish when he smashed the post.

What a treat it is to have both him and Bennett as options for that position.

The Greg Leigh of old today. I think he’s reasserted himself as first choice with his last 2 performances and I’m a big fan of Bennett.

Assists for both full backs today. Stevens had his best game for us - one slightly shaky moment first half but otherwise brilliant.

Isn't it lovely to have a discussion of 'who is the best left back at the club' without having to include Brown, Long or Thorniley in the conversation.
We can also make a pretty definitive statement about the best left wing at the club without having to include Leigh in the discusssion, which is beautiful symmetry.

Excellent today, he seemed to have developed a reputation for being a bit of liability defensively but he was solid against a very good winger. Still contributed going forwards and it was nearly a great finish when he smashed the post.

What a treat it is to have both him and Bennett as options for that position.
And do you remember how at the end of last season we had no one who could play there? Now we have great competition for the place with two players who can offer something a bit different (no greater sight than Leigh jumping like a salmon at the far post to head the ball with power)

And do you remember how at the end of last season we had no one who could play there? Now we have great competition for the place with two players who can offer something a bit different (no greater sight than Leigh jumping like a salmon at the far post to head the ball with power)
Leigh deserves a lot of credit for adapting to his new role in the side.
Under Manning he was an overlapping full back who got forward regularly.
Now he an old fashioned full back, where the defensive part of the game is the most important part as well as giving the ball to Murphy!
Since Bennett's injury he has been really good.
He still causes problems in the opposition box ( he was very close to a cross on Saturday) , has defended well and then that pass to Bodin.

Leigh deserves a lot of credit for adapting to his new role in the side.
Under Manning he was an overlapping full back who got forward regularly.
Now he an old fashioned full back, where the defensive part of the game is the most important part as well as giving the ball to Murphy!
Since Bennett's injury he has been really good.
He still causes problems in the opposition box ( he was very close to a cross on Saturday) , has defended well and then that pass to Bodin.
Saturday was such a total team performance. I was giving the plaudits to Murphy, Josh McE, Sam Long and RR but you are spot on about Greg as well. All of them played so well and did us proud. Good lads

Back
Top Bottom