General Yesteryear

I was there, one of the few times at that age I was allowed into the London Road. We were on the wall, Right Side. Amazing memories of that night.
I was stood right side leaning against the wall just to the right of the goal. i remember vividly thinking that one day that person who was blocking my view of the corner flag would be a mod on a forum that i would eventually be on lol.
Happy memories indeed.

Can barely remember what I had for tea last night, but this awesome night well clear, especially our second gosl

Happy days!! Football was much better then.
Clear attacking intent. No sitting back on slender leads. No tippy tappy keep ball for minutes on end in your own half.
We were building a great team though with much more to come!!

I was there, one of the few times at that age I was allowed into the London Road. We were on the wall, Right Side. Amazing memories of that night.
OMG, so was I as a 14 year old, no ticket however they let me and my school mate in through the gate after 10 minutes or so, The London Road was packed se we also sat on the wall in the bottom right had corner, well until halftime when we managed to get into our rightful place and into the Left side of the London Road.
Great memories.....

Clear attacking intent. No sitting back on slender leads. No tippy tappy keep ball for minutes on end in your own half.
There was no way any team could play tippy tippy football back then as the pitches were awful.

We had a game plan......
Knock it wide, get the ball in the box quickly
or
Push the through ball down the middle for our strikers to run on to
and
Taking no prisoners at the back, no striker wanted to play against Shotton and Briggsy.

We were the masters of this which enabled all that success during that period.

Not sure that football was much better ( and if you watch old Oxford games in the first division the football looks very poor compared to today)
In those days pitches were awful at times, Wimbledon could bully teams and play like Wycombe and be in the top half of L1.
These days, even on league teams at least try and play football on the ground. I reckon better pitches has improved football quality no end.

Not sure that football was much better ( and if you watch old Oxford games in the first division the football looks very poor compared to today)
In those days pitches were awful at times, Wimbledon could bully teams and play like Wycombe and be in the top half of L1.
These days, even on league teams at least try and play football on the ground. I reckon better pitches has improved football quality no end.

I'm not sure I'd want to go back to goalkeepers being able to pick up back passes.

So many matches were killed by passing the ball between defenders and then back to the goalkeeper.

ON THIS DAY

November 18th 2006

On this day 17 years ago Jim Smith’s U’s suffer their first Conference league defeat of the season going down 0-1 to Gravesend and Norhfleet.
Fleet striker Onome Sodje with the winner on a miserable cold and wet Stonebridge Road afternoon.

United: Turley - Odihambo Willmott Quinn Gilchrist Brevett- Pettefer Hargreaves Burgess - Slabber Basham

Subs: Day, Odubade Johnson

Att: 2,019.

D26KIxZXgAETGZ6

ON THIS DAY

November 18th 2006

On this day 17 years ago Jim Smith’s U’s suffer their first Conference league defeat of the season going down 0-1 to Gravesend and Norhfleet.
Fleet striker Onome Sodje with the winner on a miserable cold and wet Stonebridge Road afternoon.

United: Turley - Odihambo Willmott Quinn Gilchrist Brevett- Pettefer Hargreaves Burgess - Slabber Basham

Subs: Day, Odubade Johnson

Att: 2,019.

D26KIxZXgAETGZ6
And with complete symmetry today sees Ebbsfleet United (previously Gravesend and Northfleet) at home to Oxford City.

As it's only 20 minutes away from me I shall be at the game, as I was 17 years ago.

ON THIS DAY

November 21st 1987 - Manor Ground

Derby County owner Robert Maxwell - in negotiations to buy Elton John’s 90 per cent holding in Watford - both attend United’s top flight 1-1
draw with the Hornets. The deal fell eventually through.

U’s: Hucker - Bardsley Slatter Caton Dreyer - Phillips Shelton Hebberd Rhoades-Brown - Saunders Whitehurst

Goal - Equaliser from Les Phillips

Att: 7,811

FPqEkRvXoAEIJEj

ON THIS DAY

December 6th 1975

Goals from Mick Tait and Andy McCulloch gave struggling U’s a 2-1 home victory over Bristol Rovers in now what is called the Championship.

U’s: Burton - Taylor Lowe Clarke C Shuker - Aylott Jeffrey Clarke D Houseman - McCulloch Tait

Att: 6,532

FprHtLpX0AE4GAg

ON THIS DAY

December 6th 1975

Goals from Mick Tait and Andy McCulloch gave struggling U’s a 2-1 home victory over Bristol Rovers in now what is called the Championship.

U’s: Burton - Taylor Lowe Clarke C Shuker - Aylott Jeffrey Clarke D Houseman - McCulloch Tait

Att: 6,532

FprHtLpX0AE4GAg
The terrace at the side was so low then! Imagine if we played Rovers in the Championship now, we'd get an awful lot more than 6K.

Back
Top Bottom