World Cup Moaning Thread

Filled with confidence and belief after seeing the England world cup squad arriving in Russia. .sucking lollipops, with headphones on and looking scruffy, unkempt and uniterested... . Don't it fill you with pride n hope that the aspirations of our nation in the world cup finals rests on such inspiring shoulders?o_O

It’s modern football, Sarge. Professional and better prepared than those that took to the field in 1990 but pampered and privileged beyond recognition.

Apologies for linking to the DM but things could we worse in terms of the ‘arriving in Russia’ photos that are filling pages at present - we could be cheering on Neymar and Pogba ?!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-emblazoned-family-faces-lands-World-Cup.html

Filled with confidence and belief after seeing the England world cup squad arriving in Russia. .sucking lollipops, with headphones on and looking scruffy, unkempt and uniterested... . Don't it fill you with pride n hope that the aspirations of our nation in the world cup finals rests on such inspiring shoulders?o_O

Yeah players in the 70s, 80s and 90s were models of professionalism with their activities overseas ;)

Yeah players in the 70s, 80s and 90s were models of professionalism with their activities overseas ;)
I really am trying to feel some sort of excitement and anticipation for the world cup ....it still ain't happening (yet) ..watched danny bakers almost amusing bbc4 pre world cup programme (which featured billy hamilton ....with his football academy board game ) earlier... hope England players do rise to the occasion and of course ill be watching englands matches...previous world cup finals ive been ,by now ,less than 2 days to go, planning which live games to opt to watch, wall chart at the ready. This time,so far, in the run in I'm just not all that interested....it may change once things actually get underway. Perhaps:unsure:

OK, in an attempt to get Sarge psyched up, let's turn this from a moaning into a predictions thread
(because I have been planning which games to watch.....including getting up at 6am on Saturday for France/Australia.....and have my wallchart at the ready!)

Group A (Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguay)
Yeash....the worst of the groups by far. If Salah's not himself, there's probably three of the worst teams in the tournament right here. Uruguay will walk it; Russia will probably finish second virtue of some friendly refereeing decisions

Group B (Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Iran)
Hmmm.....not much better. Morocco & Iran will be tight and organised but offensively challenged. Not many goals here, but Spain win group comfortably and Portugal do just enough.

Group C (France, Australia, Denmark, Peru)
More like it! France are a good side, and should win it but expect a battle royale between the other three for second place, and plenty of goals. Peru takes it.

Group D (Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria)
Now we're talking! Argentina face three competent teams, and I reckon they'll be found wanting. Croatia with the upset, with Argentina just scraping through in second on goal difference

Group E (Brazil, Switzerland, Serbia, Costa Rica)
Not the best. Comfortable for Brazil, with the other three sides evenly matched, but not that special. It says here that Serbia fight their way through

Group F (Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea)
Das Gruppe of Death for the Germans! They're German so they'll still win it, but not easily with lots of good, close games here. I've no idea if Mexico are any good this year, but tradition dictates that they'll be decent before going out in the Last 16.

Group G (Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England)
Not a tight one for the neutral. Two comfortable wins each for the European sides, before they draw the group decider but the Belgians take the group on goal difference (after absolutely clobbering Panama to open)

Group H (Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan)
The shuffle them up and deal group. No idea what order they'll finish, but there's usually a good African team in the World Cup, so I'm fancying it's Senegal. James Rodriguez then just comes out on top of Lewandowski for second.

Last Sixteen
Uruguay beat Portugal on penalties after bore draw
Spain clobber Russia (who are content to have just made it that far)
France squeak past Argentina in a five goal thriller
Peru shock Croatia in extra time
Brazil routine vs. Mexico
Germany likewise vs. Serbia
Belgium look outstanding in thumping Colombia
England put us through the ringer, but wind up beating Senegal in extra time

Quarters
France beat Uruguay on pens
Belgium bottle it and get thrashed by Brazil
Peru shock the world again by winning a smash and grab against Spain
England shock the world even more by taking the Germans to pens.....and then beating them

Semis
Brazil get better of France in World Cup classic
Harry Kane brace against tournament's biggest surprise team, Peru, sends England into wonderland!

Third place playoff
Nobody cares

Final
Back to earth as Brazil thump England in final; Southgate still gets knighted, we then wait another 28 years to be relevant again......

OK, in an attempt to get Sarge psyched up, let's turn this from a moaning into a predictions thread
(because I have been planning which games to watch.....including getting up at 6am on Saturday for France/Australia.....and have my wallchart at the ready!)

Yeash....the worst of the groups by far. If Salah's not himself, there's probably three of the worst teams in the tournament right here. Uruguay will walk it; Russia will probably finish second virtue of some friendly refereeing decisions

Hmmm.....not much better. Morocco & Iran will be tight and organised but offensively challenged. Not many goals here, but Spain win group comfortably and Portugal do just enough.

More like it! France are a good side, and should win it but expect a battle royale between the other three for second place, and plenty of goals. Peru takes it.

Now we're talking! Argentina face three competent teams, and I reckon they'll be found wanting. Croatia with the upset, with Argentina just scraping through in second on goal difference

Not the best. Comfortable for Brazil, with the other three sides evenly matched, but not that special. It says here that Serbia fight their way through

Das Gruppe of Death for the Germans! They're German so they'll still win it, but not easily with lots of good, close games here. I've no idea if Mexico are any good this year, but tradition dictates that they'll be decent before going out in the Last 16.

Not a tight one for the neutral. Two comfortable wins each for the European sides, before they draw the group decider but the Belgians take the group on goal difference (after absolutely clobbering Panama to open)

The shuffle them up and deal group. No idea what order they'll finish, but there's usually a good African team in the World Cup, so I'm fancying it's Senegal. James Rodriguez then just comes out on top of Lewandowski for second.

Last Sixteen

Quarters
England shock the world even more by taking the Germans to pens.....and then beating them

Semis
Harry Kane brace against tournament's biggest surprise team, Peru, sends England into wonderland!

Third place playoff
Nobody cares

Final
Back to earth as Brazil thump England in final; Southgate still gets knighted, we then wait another 28 years to be relevant again......

No more drugs for that man.

I have us down for winning the group but going out to Brazil in the quarters.

My surprise of the tournament is Argentina not getting past the group stages.

Argentina barely qualified, so regardless of Messi, Messi, Messi, they are a flawed team. There are a few teams massively overrated based on the past or what their players are in domestic leagues. Usually England's prime spot! I

Infact, I'd go on to say adding more teams in future WCs is only going to make the quality worse. 3 or more groups like Group A does no one any good.

Last Sixteen

Quarters

Semis

Third place playoff
Nobody cares

Final
Interesting predictions there @tonyw :)

• React
Reactions: m
I have us down for winning the group but going out to Brazil in the quarters.

My surprise of the tournament is Argentina not getting past the group stages.

Argentina’s scary attack will be utterly useless when you consider the rest of the squad.

14 of the 23 are 30 or over so a load of old legs in their having their last World Cup. Also, they’re taking three goalkeepers who are all 30+ who have a grand total of nine caps between them! Their number one has six of them. And we thought we had goalkeeping issues …

They’ll sneak the group stage but anyone remotely decent and they’ll come unstuck.

When I was alive the Spaniards were always referred to as "the jittery dons".

Of course that term dates from the Armada, long before Sergio Ramos gained immunity from all charges of assault.

Must say that I am getting in the mood for this World Cup. Southgate playing the press well, overall positivity - bring it on!

As the OP did not mention a specific World Cup. What do people think about the next World Cup in Qatar, where hundreds of migrant workers have died building the stadiums?

Guess I can deal with possible financial shenanigans that may have resulted in the WC ending up in Russia, but people losing their lives building stadiums?

Must say that I am getting in the mood for this World Cup. Southgate playing the press well, overall positivity - bring it on!

As the OP did not mention a specific World Cup. What do people think about the next World Cup in Qatar, where hundreds of migrant workers have died building the stadiums?

Guess I can deal with possible financial shenanigans that may have resulted in the WC ending up in Russia, but people losing their lives building stadiums?
Utter shameful crap.

Today is a good reason for the WC to not get bigger. A poor Russia team beat Saudi Arabia far too easily.

How will FIFA manage to make the Qatari team credible? Going to be hard to manage that

Back
Top Bottom