EPL Watford - Are they taking the mickey?

I am sure that a club like Watford, who are in general, very fan and family orientated, would fully understand why someone is unable to go during periods of illness of difficult personal circumstances. And if these seats can be made available for others to take advantage of then all the better. They however, will be more aware of those who only miss the lesser ties leaving these seats empty. It will be these 'fans' that the club will look to turn away, if it ever came to that.

This isn't an attack on season ticket holders. This is a way to fill seats at games which would otherwise be significantly under capacity. Maybe it's me, but I'm struggling to see the problem here.

So the onus would be on the sick season ticket holder to prove they are sick to the club.

I don't have a problem with Watford trying to fill the stadium on less popular games, I have problems with how Watford are going about doing that.

Well I hope you never have circumstances where you won't know whether you are going to be able to attend a game until you get in your car and then may be called back home then.
And under those circumstances I'd be amazed if anyone was looking at removing the season tickets from those affected.

So the onus would be on the sick season ticket holder to prove they are sick to the club.

I don't have a problem with Watford trying to fill the stadium on less popular games, I have problems with how Watford are going about doing that.

Of course it wouldn't be down to someone to prove that they're sick, but if it is known in advance that someone is unable to go, then giving the club the opportunity to redistribute those tickets is better than leaving them empty. There is no perfect way of doing this, and I think (even if you disagree with my point in general) that most people will understand the difference between genuine fans with difficult circumstances and those who's sole intention is to cherry pick games. It's hard to know the exact circumstances when taking a fun lines from a article in The Sun, but my understanding is that Watford are trying to do the right thing by all those unable to get to every game.

And under those circumstances I'd be amazed if anyone was looking at removing the season tickets from those affected.
Trust me I've had those circumstances and the last thing you would want to be doing is explaining to someone at the football club why you may or may not be able to use what you have paid for, in order that they can be understanding of your circumstances.

Until those getting season tickets for as you put it the "right reasons" (what a sanctimonious statement)have circumstances resulting their season ticket being withdrawn.

Makes no odds whatever the circumstance. What is being proposed is that a contract of sale be rendered void by the seller, for the seller to gain advantage at the disadvantage of the purchaser. That is just wrong.

Who would judge those circumstances? Would it be required to present a "Fit to work" note? Or, a self certification with the club? How about going away on vacation? An emergency at short notice? - Hello, is that Watford ticket office? Yes, just to let you know, my wife/husband/significant other died this morning and won't be attending the match tomorrow. Yes, sorry about the late notice.
A ridiculous and completely unworkable set up.

Well I hope you never have circumstances where you won't know whether you are going to be able to attend a game until you get in your car and then may be called back home then.
If it's a one-off event then I'm sure the club would understand. However, if someone doesn't know whether or not they're going to be able to attend a game until they get in their car on more than just a few occasions, the club could argue that you have bought the season ticket out of commodity as opposed to true intent to attend each match. If the seat remains vacant on more than just a handful of occasions, then I see no harm in it being made available to people who otherwise would be unable to attend.

Wonder if the powers that be at Watford will remain as 'awkward' towards their ST holding fanbase after their inevitable drop from the top tier happens? :unsure:

Last edited:
If it's a one-off event then I'm sure the club would understand. However, if someone doesn't know whether or not they're going to be able to attend a game until they get in their car on more than just a few occasions, the club could argue that you have bought the season ticket out of commodity as opposed to true intent to attend each match. If the seat remains vacant on more than just a handful of occasions, then I see no harm in it being made available to people who otherwise would be unable to attend.
You have no idea or imagination obviously. So I'll try and spell it out for you. What if you bought the season ticket then someone close to you got diagnosed with a serious illness and was undergoing debilitating treatment. Sometimes they are well enough for you to go although you might get a call to come back home at any point. You think you would want to explain your circumstances to some club official. I dispair of some if the posters on here.

I can speak from personal experience, I missed 75% of last season through I'll health, I had lymphoma,and had to a load of chemotherapy, I had bought my season ticket prior to this, ,and it could have made more sense of i could have returned it and been refunded, and I could have started again this year, the big but in this case is that the thought of my seat being available when I wanted it helped me in my recovery in trying to get back to normal.

I can speak from personal experience, I missed 75% of last season through I'll health, I had lymphoma,and had to a load of chemotherapy, I had bought my season ticket prior to this, ,and it could have made more sense of i could have returned it and been refunded, and I could have started again this year, the big but in this case is that the thought of my seat being available when I wanted it helped me in my recovery in trying to get back to normal.
I so understand what you are saying, the chance to get to the game and get the distraction from the illness is such a tonic. The very best to you with your recovery.

You have no idea or imagination obviously. So I'll try and spell it out for you. What if you bought the season ticket then someone close to you got diagnosed with a serious illness and was undergoing debilitating treatment. Sometimes they are well enough for you to go although you might get a call to come back home at any point. You think you would want to explain your circumstances to some club official. I dispair of some if the posters on here.
Being epileptic, I have more than my fair share of understanding in regards to having events stripped from under your nose at the last minute - only recently I had to cancel on attending my cousin's wedding because (despite having purchased fairly expensive flights and accommodation) on the very morning I was due to travel I suffered a seizure.

My point was in regards to if a seat is left empty for an excessively high percentage of games, then I see no reason why the club should be wrong to raise an issue with it.

However, @Oxford57 's point that knowing his seat was there waiting for him on the occasions he did feel well enough to attend having a positive impact on his recovery is one well made.

Sort of wish we never make it to the prem so we don’t have to suffer the ‘Oxford fans’ who suddenly appear to watch the top 6.
I guess it’s modern football, but f**k off if you’re only there for the away team.

Edit: realise I’m being a bit sanctimonious, as I’m specifically referring to fans who, as an example, won’t go to a single game this season.
Even so the likelihood I’d bring a friend with me to a big game or something of the sort kind of contradicts my argument.

Last edited:
Supply & demand, capitalism in a pot. They (the club) have no care for "Fred" who has been watching them when they were shite, its all about £££`s.
From a personal view.....once I have bought my ST I will pick & choose the games I go to.
It is of no financial detriment to the club (I`ve already paid!).

This is outrageous as far as I am concerned, they have paid for that seat and whilst I get the reasoning it doesn't make it right. If anything this will probably reduce season ticket sales next year, probably significantly even if they don't get relegated.

I agree, this is disgusting I've paid for my season ticket. West Brom have my money are getting interest off it. I've been unwell and missed games probably miss more. Thing is that seat mine for a season

Clubs doing this should refund half of the resale take to the absent ST holder.

Make it feel like a win/win.

The way Watford are going, I think it would be wise not to P**s off their loyal fans, going to need them next year in the Championship...

The way Watford are going, I think it would be wise not to P**s off their loyal fans, going to need them next year in the Championship...

Was thinking the very same earlier!

Back
Top Bottom