Local News Traffic Filters in Oxford

If you drive to Oxford as a visitor it's going to be very confusing, hardly encouraging people to come in and spend money. Can see a lot of shops etc shutting down with this experiment (which is what it is) as they struggle for the extra trade that people coming in from outside bring.

When are the next local elections? Can't be many people who want to vote for the loons who have bought this in.
2024 or 25 i think?

If you drive to Oxford as a visitor it's going to be very confusing, hardly encouraging people to come in and spend money. Can see a lot of shops etc shutting down with this experiment (which is what it is) as they struggle for the extra trade that people coming in from outside bring.

When are the next local elections? Can't be many people who want to vote for the loons who have bought this in.

Will people elsewhere in Oxon really care that much though? Those working in Oxford or whose jobs depend on certain parts of the Oxford economy will but I suspect most will just avoid Oxford and go elsewhere.

Will all the tradesmen who work in town only be allowed in via one or two ways now then? They will join the queues of workers, deliveries, shoppers etc? Seems suicidal for a city centre in terms of businesses, who is going to want to sit in those sort of traffic jams.

I used to have to drive into town all the time for work, so glad I am not having to get involved with this B*****s.
they will treat it like a cash cow. cameras charging for those that go through
Regarding the traffic filters It does say, " All other vehicles including buses, coaches, taxis, vans, mopeds, motorbikes and HGVs will be allowed at all times."

Does that mean I can drive my van even though it's not used for work?

Regarding the traffic filters It does say, " All other vehicles including buses, coaches, taxis, vans, mopeds, motorbikes and HGVs will be allowed at all times."

Does that mean I can drive my van even though it's not used for work?
That's a good question, a woman in our road drives a little van even though it's just her vehicle, not for work. But other people such as my wife have to drive around town in cars for business purposes. Presumably people will have to apply for electronic permits linked to number plates?

could be a bit of a catch 22/ Mexican stand off situation come the next county council elections

on the one hand I am opposed to LTNs/ Bus Gates etc

on the other I want to see the stadium project at SB go ahead

thing is, many of ( not all)the County Councillors who have expressed support (in principle) for SB stadium project, are also those NOT opposing ( therefore fair to assume in favour of? ) LTNs, Bus Gates and other restrictive measures being imposed in OX1, OX2< OX3 and OX4 postcodes

stick or twist vote wise come the next county council elections?

could be a bit of a catch 22/ Mexican stand off situation come the next county council elections

thing is, many of ( not all)the County Councillors who have expressed support (in principle) for SB stadium project, are also those NOT opposing ( therefore fair to assume in favour of? ) LTNs, Bus Gates and other restrictive measures being imposed in OX1, OX2< OX3 and OX4 postcodes

Vote pro-SB councilors this time, and once it has been approved you can then concentrate your votes on councilors who are pro removing any LTNs etc. in future elections. A bit of short-term pain taken for the greater good.

Once built the stadium ain't going nowhere. The LTNs will go should they demonstrably fail (in the eyes of those who are intent on putting them in) or prove so unpopular the electors will elected politicians who will remove them.

Once built the stadium ain't going nowhere. The LTNs will go should they demonstrably fail (in the eyes of those who are intent on putting them in) or prove so unpopular the electors will elected politicians who will remove them.

Or a legal challenge on the basis for them succeeds as reports are that some are looking at doing this.

That's a good question, a woman in our road drives a little van even though it's just her vehicle, not for work. But other people such as my wife have to drive around town in cars for business purposes. Presumably people will have to apply for electronic permits linked to number plates?
Number plate recognition and so automatically the registration will be flagged as a 'van' etc?

Number plate recognition and so automatically the registration will be flagged as a 'van' etc?
Who can say. It would be fairer if you got a pass depending on your need rather than your vehicle. Anyway I think there will be more developments before they start

IMG20221203114345.jpgwow you've got to be joking!!! I remember when you got fined for cycling in Queen st & Cornmarket st. That is an accident waiting to happen. This council is incompetent!!!!!

Most cyclists paid no attention to the no cycling rules anyway and they were never enforced.
Yes the last year or so, but you don't see bobbies ,walking around town to enforce it like they used too. I kid you not I've been clipped by a few bikes in the last few months , especially with the newbie students that started in October. As for the deliveroo riders with their electric bikes it's madness already without giving them permission. Oh & by the way I nearly got smashed into by a woman riding a cargo bike in town ,with her kids on it , riding down al oneway street on the path. It's people like my parents whose nearly in there nineties that I worry for ....

I see Oxford's 15 min City is starting to hit the press, GB News covered it last night and I was sent a link here:

The general story starts around 46 mins, with Oxford on 49 mins

I hope the new stadium is within my 15 min zone!!!

I see Oxford's 15 min City is starting to hit the press, GB News covered it last night and I was sent a link here:

The general story starts around 46 mins, with Oxford on 49 mins

I hope the new stadium is within my 15 min zone!!!
GB News!! Don't tell me someone has watched it

GB News!! Don't tell me someone has watched it
I do, they actually have balanced views, not just one and talk about news the MSM dare not talk about, until it's too big to cover up.

I dont't agree with all the presenters views, but they want debate from all sides.

I do, they actually have balanced views, not just one and talk about news the MSM dare not talk about, until it's too big to cover up.

I dont't agree with all the presenters views, but they want debate from all sides.
'News the MSM dare not talk about'? Golly. So GB News is a little amateur operation in someone's shed, rather than MSM?

Back
Top Bottom