League One The Perfect Results

Robie

Even though it's ridiculously early to be doing so, each weekend, I find myself looking at the League table and forthcoming fixtures to consider what the perfect results for OUFC would be. I always work on the basis that we win our own game! I thought it might be worth recording my musings to compare with the reality and maybe you disagree with my choices?

Blackpool V Fleetwood - Home win - Although some might consider a draw a better option the games in hand swings it to Blackpool picking up all three points.
Bristol Rovers V Southend - Away win
Burton V Lincoln - Away win
Coventry V Ipswich - Home Win - If we are to take one of the automatic spots we need Ipswich or Wycombe to come a cropper.
Donny V MK Dons - Away win
Gills V Sunderland - Home Win
Pompy V Peterborough - Home win - Although it brings Pompy closer to us we need Posh to stumble.
Rotherham V Rochdale - Away win

I guess this is Wycombe's "Bury" weekend so a chance for the rest of us to catch up!

It would leave the table something like this:

GP----------Pts
19 Wycombe 40
18 Ipswich 35
--
19 Coventry 33
18 Oxford 32
19 Blackpool 32
19 Posh 31
--
19 Rotherham 30
18 Pompey 30
17 Fleetwood 29
18 Bristol Rovers 28
18 Sunderland 26
18 Burton 24
19 Gillingham 24

Simple, we win our game each week, everyone else draws. Up as champions by March...

Even though it's ridiculously early to be doing so, each weekend, I find myself looking at the League table and forthcoming fixtures to consider what the perfect results for OUFC would be. I always work on the basis that we win our own game! I thought it might be worth recording my musings to compare with the reality and maybe you disagree with my choices?

Blackpool V Fleetwood - Home win - Although some might consider a draw a better option the games in hand swings it to Blackpool picking up all three points.
Bristol Rovers V Southend - Away win
Coventry V Ipswich - Home Win - If we are to take one of the automatic spots we need Ipswich or Wycombe to come a cropper.
Donny V MK Dons - Away win
Pompy V Peterborough - Home win - Although it brings Pompy closer to us we need Posh to stumble.

I guess this is Wycombe's "Bury" weekend so a chance for the rest of us to catch up!

It would leave the table something like this:

GP----------Pts
19 Wycombe 40
18 Ipswich 35
--
19 Coventry 33
18 Oxford 32
19 Blackpool 32
19 Posh 31
--
19 Rotherham 30
18 Pompey 30
17 Fleetwood 29
18 Bristol Rovers 28
18 Sunderland 26
18 Burton 24
19 Gillingham 24
I'd have had the Coventry and Pompey games as draws, but apart from that pretty much agree.

The only result that matters is ours we keep winning the others will slip up we had are blip in August

Blackpool V Fleetwood - Home win
Bristol Rovers V Southend - Away win Home Win
Coventry V Ipswich - Home Win - Draw
Donny V MK Dons - Away win - Draw

Pompy V Peterborough - Home win -Draw

So actually the only terrible result for us was Bristol Rovers. We would have been 3rd if we had won our own game which is better than my preferred results.
Two of the draws were actually what SteMerritt preferred anyway.

Next round of fixtures that affect us:
Accrington V Portsmouth - Home win
Fleetwood V Gillingham - Away win
Ipswich V Bristol Rovers - Away win - I'd rather unsettle Ipswich
Peterborough V Bolton - Away win
Shrews V Coventry - Home win
Southend V Rotherham - Home win
Sunderland V Blackpool - Draw
Wycombe V Burton - Away win

Doesn't look terribly likely on paper.

20 Wycombe 40
19 Ipswich 36
----
19 B Rovers 34
19 Oxford 33
20 Blackpool 33
20 Peterborough 32
------
20 Coventry 31
20 Rotherham 30
18 Fleetwood 29
19 Portsmouth 28
19 Shrews 28
20 Gillingham 27
19 Burton 27
19 Sunderland 26

Ipswich vs Fleetwood tonight.

5 - 34 Sund 18 58
6 - 34 Oxford 23 57
---
7 - 34 Posh 26 56
8 - 32 Fleet 12 55
9 - 34 Ipswich 12 52

With Fleetwood in such good form I would like an Ipswich win from this one leaving Fleetwood with only one game in hand and Ipswich still 2 points behind us having played an extra game. It would also be handy for Ipswich to get a boost before their game with Coventry.

I think this season nobody has been consistent so if we just concentrate on what we can do and let the others get on with it who’s to say cov won’t lose some games or Fleetwood won’t lose there games in hand

I think it's a bit soon to be coming up with ideal situations. It may seem that Ipswich are less of a concern at the moment, but that may change dramatically in 3 games.

Play (and win) our games and look at the table in about a month to get a much better picture of the run-in.

I wouldn't even rule out anyone down to Burton as being totally out of the play-off race just yet.

I think it's a bit soon to be coming up with ideal situations. It may seem that Ipswich are less of a concern at the moment, but that may change dramatically in 3 games.

Play (and win) our games and look at the table in about a month to get a much better picture of the run-in.

I wouldn't even rule out anyone down to Burton as being totally out of the play-off race just yet.
I started this thread in December :D

Maybe abit strange but I always think look where we are after Easter every season Easter fixtures are abit like Christmas could make or break your season and if we get 6 points over Easter we should be doing well ?

So Fleetwood could only manage a draw. Ipswich are out of it allowing Coventry to storm clear at the top of the table. Pompey lost at Peterborough and Rotherham at Rochdale. Sunderland could only draw at home to Gillingham... a good set of results.

From Tuesday I would like

Bristol Rovers beat Sunderland
Pompey draw with Fleetwood

Would result in the table

Cov 34 18 67
Roth 35 23 62
-----
Ox 35 24 60
Por 35 17 60
Fle 35 13 60
Pet 35 28 59
---
Sun 36 18 59
Wy 34 5 59
Don 34 18 54

So Fleetwood could only manage a draw. Ipswich are out of it allowing Coventry to storm clear at the top of the table. Pompey lost at Peterborough and Rotherham at Rochdale. Sunderland could only draw at home to Gillingham... a good set of results.

From Tuesday I would like

Bristol Rovers beat Sunderland
Pompey draw with Fleetwood

Would result in the table

Cov 34 18 67
Roth 35 23 62
-----
Ox 35 24 60
Por 35 17 60
Fle 35 13 60
Pet 35 28 59
---
Sun 36 18 59
Wy 34 5 59
Don 34 18 54
can't see Bristol R getting a result. they've only got 1 win since new manager came in and lost 3-1 at Southend yesterday.
Pompey/Fleetwood Mac draw plausible

can't see Bristol R getting a result. they've only got 1 win since new manager came in and lost 3-1 at Southend yesterday.
Pompey/Fleetwood Mac draw plausible
Have to agree. Rovers couldn’t beat a carpet at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom