National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

When in the EU, VAT was still payable on the goods when sold to the consumer (sales between EU registered businesses were usually VAT exempt) and it was typically collected locally and passed (or perhaps more accurately credited) to the country of destination at their VAT rate for the product., so post-brexit, the seller should have reduced the coat in price to reflect the fact that they were no longer responsible for collecting the VAT. The rest of the premium is presumably made of admin and brokerage fees which again were always there, but for consumers they were usually hidden within the total shipping cost - it now seems that the couriers have decided to show these as an additional charge.

Of course, what isn't stated in the article is what the coat would have sold for in December, so we don't know whether the coat cost less than it would have done a week earlier or whether the price has remained constant, in which case they probably didn't realise that they no longer needed to include the VAT in their sales price to a UK customer. If they did know but have decided to charge the same price anyway, that is a bit "naughty".......

Mind you, I don't have a lot of sympathy for anyone that can spend £200+ on a coat, but that's for another thread.......
Good, clear explanation. Why can't the government or the BBC communicate so effectively? It would help everyone. Ta

When in the EU, VAT was still payable on the goods when sold to the consumer (sales between EU registered businesses were usually VAT exempt) and it was typically collected locally and passed (or perhaps more accurately credited) to the country of destination at their VAT rate for the product., so post-brexit, the seller should have reduced the coat in price to reflect the fact that they were no longer responsible for collecting the VAT. The rest of the premium is presumably made of admin and brokerage fees which again were always there, but for consumers they were usually hidden within the total shipping cost - it now seems that the couriers have decided to show these as an additional charge.

Of course, what isn't stated in the article is what the coat would have sold for in December, so we don't know whether the coat cost less than it would have done a week earlier or whether the price has remained constant, in which case they probably didn't realise that they no longer needed to include the VAT in their sales price to a UK customer. If they did know but have decided to charge the same price anyway, that is a bit "naughty".......

Mind you, I don't have a lot of sympathy for anyone that can spend £200+ on a coat, but that's for another thread.......
Re 'admin' fees are you including customs duties (which doesn't seem to be the same as an import tax or duty which the government have negotiated away) which now seems to be payable but previously were not?

Sites won’t change / adjust their prices because we are just one country - nobody else has changed and they sell to dozens of others. They aren’t going to mess about with the prices on our behalf. We are the minority. 99.9% of storefronts won’t be customised to the extent that it recognises a U.K. customer and therefore shows adjusted prices, which would require manual input. They won’t go through that amount of effort and expense. They’ll simply go, “Not our problem. You left the club, you foot the bill - we do more business with other countries combined than we do with you anyway.” So the notion of any sites and stores somehow being ‘cheeky’ implies that they should prioritise or change things just for us. Which is just not the case. The price is the price and they will use a basic, automatic currency converter that goes, “Ah, you’re over there, we’ll show it in pounds.” That’s it. Why would we expect special treatment in the form of them essentially recalculating and reprogramming every item on their store forever more?

Like I said - we are the minority. The world won’t change and go out of its way to accommodate little old Blighty just because we’ve had a strop and chopped our little fingers off. This is how it is now. But British and all that.

• React
Reactions: QR
Sites won’t change / adjust their prices because we are just one country - nobody else has changed and they sell to dozens of others. They aren’t going to mess about with the prices on our behalf. We are the minority. 99.9% of storefronts won’t be customised to the extent that it recognises a U.K. customer and therefore shows adjusted prices, which would require manual input. They won’t go through that amount of effort and expense. They’ll simply go, “Not our problem. You left the club, you foot the bill - we do more business with other countries combined than we do with you anyway.” So the notion of any sites and stores somehow being ‘cheeky’ implies that they should prioritise or change things just for us. Which is just not the case. The price is the price and they will use a basic, automatic currency converter that goes, “Ah, you’re over there, we’ll show it in pounds.” That’s it. Why would we expect special treatment in the form of them essentially recalculating and reprogramming every item on their store forever more?

Like I said - we are the minority. The world won’t change and go out of its way to accommodate little old Blighty just because we’ve had a strop and chopped our little fingers off. This is how it is now. But British and all that.
Completely understandable why they wouldn't/won't carry out costly changes to their systems for just one third county. Presumably though they will have no tax to pay over and will be quids (Euros) in as a result.

Ultimately I suppose, these exporters will only make system changes if not making the changes damages their bottom line to the extent that making the changes is financially worthwhile.

Completely understandable why they wouldn't/won't carry out costly changes to their systems for just one third county. Presumably though they will have no tax to pay over and will be quids (Euros) in as a result.

Ultimately I suppose, these exporters will only make system changes if not making the changes damages their bottom line to the extent that making the changes is financially worthwhile.
But,but, but....we're Britain....we're special and important!

Spot on.
It`s not unusual for the courier (whom ever it may be) to require payment of fee`s prior to delivery for "tax/duty" plus their admin fee`s.
She`s got 2 choices pay it or go with out.

As someone who built and ran a global ecommerce platform with revenues of over a million pounds a year I don’t even know where to start. So I’ll just go for, “Sure. Okay then. If we want to pretend it’s this simple then we’ll go with it. We’ve had enough of experts anyway.”

More good news: we’re all going to need to eat a lot more lamb as well as fish.

As someone who built and ran a global ecommerce platform with revenues of over a million pounds a year I don’t even know where to start. So I’ll just go for, “Sure. Okay then. If we want to pretend it’s this simple then we’ll go with it. We’ve had enough of experts anyway.”

Looks like the lambs aren't going to be as happy as the fish...

Weird that prices have been rising at the markets......

I`m sure everyone can pick 1 case in a broad spectrum of trade where somebody is struggling, however it is only 21 days in.
Stay calm. Buy mint sauce. :)

But as least we're got rid of all that red tape eh.

When I first started in import/export, it did indeed take hours to fill in the forms and I should think about half of them were held at customs for incorrect or missing documents. Three months on and the paperwork timings were halved and the held shipments were down to one or two a month.

By the time I retired, I could do it with my eyes shut and I had learned that whether a shipment gets held or released is absolutely at the discretion of the customs officer. I could rattle off a dozen reasons for goods being held from the incredulous to the comedic, but the most infuriating thing was when goods which had passed through without a hitch one week would be stopped the next even though the order and therefore the paperwork were identical.

Things will improve - let's hope the learning curve is not too protracted.....

When I first started in import/export, it did indeed take hours to fill in the forms and I should think about half of them were held at customs for incorrect or missing documents. Three months on and the paperwork timings were halved and the held shipments were down to one or two a month.

By the time I retired, I could do it with my eyes shut and I had learned that whether a shipment gets held or released is absolutely at the discretion of the customs officer. I could rattle off a dozen reasons for goods being held from the incredulous to the comedic, but the most infuriating thing was when goods which had passed through without a hitch one week would be stopped the next even though the order and therefore the paperwork were identical.

The problem is once you have deliver issues, you find an alternative supplier. Once the new supplier delivers on time you never go back. Life is too short.

It will certainly get quicker but will the new costs that people are coming up against (custom duties, Vat on top of a price that previous included tax, higher amin fees to cover the cost to others of having to fill in extra paperwork etc as discussed above) melt away?

It will certainly get quicker but will the new costs that people are coming up against (custom duties, Vat on top of a price that previous included tax, higher amin fees to cover the cost to others of having to fill in extra paperwork etc as discussed above) melt away?

I can see many small businesses really struggling with the additional VAT requirements if exporting goods. I think one of the solutions regarding the previous MOSS VAT system was to register for a second VAT number in either Malta or Ireland.... ludicrous.

I am sure things will settle down but people will also find alternatives which involve far less faffing around. We all want an easier life with less paperwork and bureaucracy. I don’t think this will be it.

Maybe in time systems will be agreed and developed to streamline the process. But lots of damage done in the meantime.

I wonder what will happen to UK sales of Audi’s, BMW‘s and Mercedes ? so many on the road these days.

whatever happens.....its nice to hear the wailing of the wokeist w##gers,sup on yer tears or MOVE! shluuuuuurp!!!
I’m struggling to see how you’re linking a liking for frictionless trade with “wokest” whatever meaning that’s attached to this week?

Back
Top Bottom