Prostate Cancer

I have just been diagnosed with PC.
Can anyone relate their experiences please

Sorry to hear that.

The old man got diagnosed very early on in its progression and with radiotherapy it was treated successfully. Clear ever since, just has annual blood tests to check but they've been all good.

The team treating him in Oxford were excellent.

Very sorry to hear this, what were your symptoms? Might help some of the old uns on here who think, it’ll go away, don’t make a fuss.

Hope the treatment goes well. We’ll all be thinking of you and wishing you the best 💛💙

Sadly, far more common than some think. In itself, not the danger that it first represents. Caught, and treated early, it can be no more than an inconvenience. That's not making light of the situation, it does need treating. Radio therapy is the norm. The examination can be uncomfortable and, as all of us "blokes" are less than eager to have someone messing with our chap downstairs, not very welcome. However, as said, caught early and treated, you should be fine.
Anyone reading this who is over 50 or has a family history should, if you haven't done so all ready, see your GP and ask for a test. The PSA test is not the most reliable and give a false negative as well as a false positive but, as an indicator of potential, it's better than not doing anything.
I am over 50 (by some distance) and have family history - lost my father to cancer a few years back - I also have learnt, a while ago, that I have an enlarged prostate which, while a bloody nuisance, is not cancer. I get regularly tested and so far, all clear. There is a better test on the horizon. the PSE test which claims up to 94% accuracy. The younger forum members will benefit - look out for it becoming available.

These folks are well known for good advice and help Prostate Cancer UK

Wish you all the best for your treatment and outcome. Always plenty of folks on here ready to talk if you want.

Sorry to hear that Peter.
I know 2 people who had had prostate cancer recently. In both cases it was caught quite early and their treatment was successful.
Wishing you success in your treatment

I have had it for 18 months, I am on a trial, happy to chat about it if you like, PM me, it is terrifying and psychologically it has hit me massively, all the very best.

Thank you everyone for your very kind replies.
I’d like to assure everyone the actual procedure is painless.
PSA for me was 5.9 for a near 69 mile old is elevated as the norm is 3. False negatives.
Phone conversation a few days after for 30 minutes followed by MRI scan less than a week later.
I suspected something wrong on my follow up when I saw an urology cancer nurse just a few days later.
Had a biopsy and a couple of weeks later was told the Gleason rating was 3.4. The same as my best man was told ten years earlier.
I’m actually very confident and relieved that I now have the next stage coming. Radiotherapy after hormone tablets.
I would also urge anyone to get tested for PC.
There are no symptoms apart from the occasional urge to pee more. . I’m grateful to the NHS. Ironically i taught the porter too drive and my brother taught the consultant surgeon history at prep school. Funny world

Very sorry to hear this, what were your symptoms? Might help some of the old uns on here who think, it’ll go away, don’t make a fuss.
There’s not much to report on symptoms other than peeing more in the morning. It’s one of those that develop almost unnoticed

Sadly, far more common than some think. In itself, not the danger that it first represents. Caught, and treated early, it can be no more than an inconvenience. That's not making light of the situation, it does need treating. Radio therapy is the norm. The examination can be uncomfortable and, as all of us "blokes" are less than eager to have someone messing with our chap downstairs, not very welcome. However, as said, caught early and treated, you should be fine.
Anyone reading this who is over 50 or has a family history should, if you haven't done so all ready, see your GP and ask for a test. The PSA test is not the most reliable and give a false negative as well as a false positive but, as an indicator of potential, it's better than not doing anything.
I am over 50 (by some distance) and have family history - lost my father to cancer a few years back - I also have learnt, a while ago, that I have an enlarged prostate which, while a bloody nuisance, is not cancer. I get regularly tested and so far, all clear. There is a better test on the horizon. the PSE test which claims up to 94% accuracy. The younger forum members will benefit - look out for it becoming available.

These folks are well known for good advice and help Prostate Cancer UK

Wish you all the best for your treatment and outcome. Always plenty of folks on here ready to talk if you want.
All of that is quite correct. I’m not overly worried as my best man had an identical reading and he has been successfully treated. His PSA is not 0.01. Interesting his grandfather was 95 and he had it and his father is 94, going strong, has three monthly hormone jabs

All the best with your treatment. I doubt there are many better places to be than Oxford when things like this come calling.

Wish you all the best Peter.
Hope the treatment is successful and it clears up.

All the best, Peter. Speedy recovery wished here.

As always, keep chatting with us reprobates if it helps. Sometimes a meaningless internet argument about who should play at left wing for the next game is the kind of medicine we all need for whatever we’re going though.

Hope it all goes well, this place is pretty supportive when real issues are raised,so keep us posted

Back
Top Bottom