National News Private equity

QR

I appreciate that the provision of child care is labour intensive as is similarly care for the elderly (not you @Manorlounger ) but it really pees me off when private equity companies are allowed muscle in on both and makes excessive profits (often by way of high interest 'loans' in order to offshore profits) at the expense hard working households around the country.

I appreciate that the provision of child care is labour intensive as is similarly care for the elderly (not you @Manorlounger ) but it really pees me off when private equity companies are allowed muscle in on both and makes excessive profits (often by way of high interest 'loans' in order to offshore profits) at the expense hard working households around the country.

Can`t have it both ways.
Its the result of equality and rampant consumerism and the ongoing "Ponzi Scheme of Life"
50 years ago women stayed at home to raise the kids - a bit like nature really.
Generally one male breadwinner in the household.
Now the family unit needs two wages coming in - part of which funds the farming out the childcare to somebody else.

Outsourcing at its finest. 🤷‍♀️

Go on then Jacob Rhys Attenborough. Substantiate that statement …

In the majority of species, the female has the feeding mechanism for the young and the male provides in other ways.

The reality is that, 50 years ago, the majority of women looked after the home/kids.
1648384985838.png

Can`t have it both ways.
Its the result of equality and rampant consumerism and the ongoing "Ponzi Scheme of Life"
Now the family unit needs two wages coming in - part of which funds the farming out the childcare to somebody else.

You may have missed something here. The article referred to by @QR relates to child care placement as used by Social Services across the country. The cost of placing a child into care has rocketed in recent times. Likewise, the budgets of Social Service departments have been slashed successively as local authorities have found it harder and harder to make ends meet. The story from the Guardian is not new, this has been the subject of several investigations of late.
That profit, and a very healthy one at that, can be made from the suffering of children is bad enough but when the availability of places is at a premium as well, it gets worse and worse. Some children end up being placed hundreds of miles away from their original location and this leads, in turn, to more costs for the services.

Whatever the socio-economic trend may be, it has nothing to do with the welfare of a child being in need of social care.

The reality is that, 50 years ago, the majority of women looked after the home/kids.
Not disagreeing with that. I’m disagreeing that it is particularly “like in nature”:
In the majority of species, the female has the feeding mechanism for the young and the male provides in other ways.
Well - the majority of animal species are insects where nobody really looks after the offspring. Same for other invertebrates. So, vertebrates … fish, reptiles … not too much parenting there. Birds? Not uncommon for both parents feed the young.
I guess with the reference to feeding, you probably mean mammals. You can rule out all the grazers (cows, Roos etc) where basically everyone just eats grass all day. Apart from a few special cases most mammal kids are up and running pretty quick - lions start following their mums out hunting while dad lies around in the shade scratching his balls.
You’ve got big brain mammals like whales and primates where kids need care for longer. With whales the mother definitely takes a hit sheltering and guarding the calf from predators.
So primates are probably most relevant. Female orangs have very close maternal bonds to their young, but gorillas don’t. Chimps and bonobos do, but invented social structures to help out. Then there’s us … Nature provides an impressive variety of parenting styles, but they don’t make a great basis for social policy!

Shush you’ll offend the Tories. These private companies are vital wealth creators, without them we’d be sitting in puddles looking puzzled.

• Haha
Reactions: m
Can`t have it both ways.

I have no idea how your reply relates to my post. It demonstrates you do not understand the con being executed.

Not disagreeing with that. I’m disagreeing that it is particularly “like in nature”:

Well - the majority of animal species are insects where nobody really looks after the offspring. Same for other invertebrates. So, vertebrates … fish, reptiles … not too much parenting there. Birds? Not uncommon for both parents feed the young.
I guess with the reference to feeding, you probably mean mammals. You can rule out all the grazers (cows, Roos etc) where basically everyone just eats grass all day. Apart from a few special cases most mammal kids are up and running pretty quick - lions start following their mums out hunting while dad lies around in the shade scratching his balls.
You’ve got big brain mammals like whales and primates where kids need care for longer. With whales the mother definitely takes a hit sheltering and guarding the calf from predators.
So primates are probably most relevant. Female orangs have very close maternal bonds to their young, but gorillas don’t. Chimps and bonobos do, but invented social structures to help out. Then there’s us … Nature provides an impressive variety of parenting styles, but they don’t make a great basis for social policy!
Stop chasing that squirrel!!! 😁

You may have missed something here. The article referred to by @QR relates to child care placement as used by Social Services across the country. The cost of placing a child into care has rocketed in recent times. Likewise, the budgets of Social Service departments have been slashed successively as local authorities have found it harder and harder to make ends meet. The story from the Guardian is not new, this has been the subject of several investigations of late.
That profit, and a very healthy one at that, can be made from the suffering of children is bad enough but when the availability of places is at a premium as well, it gets worse and worse. Some children end up being placed hundreds of miles away from their original location and this leads, in turn, to more costs for the services.

Whatever the socio-economic trend may be, it has nothing to do with the welfare of a child being in need of social care

Root cause analysis - feral parents producing offspring they are incapable of looking after.

Fix that and the supply of children requiring care drops.

Such a simplistic and ignorant statement displays how little understanding of the situation you possess.

Go on then, tell me why the problem isn`t primarily caused by parents that shouldn`t be having kids and should be using contraception.

Go on then, tell me why the problem isn`t primarily caused by parents that shouldn`t be having kids and should be using contraception.
I really cannot be bothered. Try reading these:

Root cause analysis - feral parents producing offspring they are incapable of looking after.

Fix that and the supply of children requiring care drops.
But you and I are the ones paying over the odds for the provision of these services because private equity is, with the help of the government, allowed to perpetrate this con! You're the one being ripped off and you are choosing to ignore it by setting off squirrels!! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

But you and I are the ones paying over the odds for the provision of these services because private equity is, with the help of the government, allowed to perpetrate this con! You're the one being ripped off and you are choosing to ignore it by setting off squirrels!! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Since the government is always right everything else has to swivel

The Government is providing a safety net for the 3% of children that end up in social care.
Off the back of that, the number of homes has increased by 11% 2020-2021.

If providing the service is "profitable" then you have to ask why LA`s lack the business acumen to run the services?
LA runs the service, generates a surplus, reinvests in service - how it should work.

Unfortunately, many public bodies seem incapable of running/operating like a business because the bill always gets paid even if they blow the budget. And that is "our" money backing the cheque.

View attachment 8546
Off the top of my head, I’m pretty sure that’s not true of Lions. The female Lion is the hunter and bread winner. And they’re top of the food chain!
Although this is somewhat off topic!

Back
Top Bottom