Matches Play-Off Final Train Travel

A bit stupidly, I hadn’t realised that you could get a train from Parkway directly to Wembley Stadium.

Instead I booked tickets for Parkway to Marylebone yesterday (to then get the Tube over to Wembley).

I can refund those tickets helpfully so tempted to do that and change our family tickets to ones directly from Parkway to Wembley.

Living an equal distance between Parkway and Didcot, I’m also tempted by this talk of going from Didcot to Paddington, having lunch somewhere round there with the kids and then getting the Tube from there.

Benefits of that will presumably be that parking at Didcot will be easier than Parkway, and (I’m assuming) getting a train home directly from Wembley Stadium will take a while as it will be rammed? Would getting a tube out of Wembley to Paddington (or even Marylebone) be easier?

Alternatively, I could get a 20 bus from where I live into Oxford and get a train to Paddington I guess, and therefore not have to worry about a car all. So maybe that’s just easier…

(Sorry! I’ve got the coach whenever we’ve been to Wembley previously so I’m pretty ignorant on this! Having two kids with me just makes me want to make it as painless as possible. Any recommendations from someone who knows what they’re talking about gratefully received!!)

Last edited:
A bit stupidly, I hadn’t realised that you could get a train from Parkway directly to Wembley Stadium.

Instead I booked tickets for Parkway to Marylebone yesterday (to then get the Tube over to Wembley).

I can refund those tickets helpfully so tempted to do that and change our family tickets to ones directly from Parkway to Wembley.

Living an equal distance between Parkway and Didcot, I’m also tempted by this talk of going from Didcot to Paddington, having lunch somewhere round there with the kids and then getting the Tube from there.

Benefits of that will presumably be that parking at Didcot will be easier than Parkway, and (I’m assuming) getting a train home directly from Wembley Stadium will take a while as it will be rammed? Would getting a tube out of Wembley to Paddington (or even Marylebone) be easier?

Alternatively, I could get a 20 bus from where I live into Oxford and get a train to Paddington I guess, and therefore not have to worry about a car all. So maybe that’s just easier…

(Sorry! I’ve got the coach whenever we’ve been to Wembley previously so I’m pretty ignorant on this! Having two kids with me just makes me want to make it as painless as possible. Any recommendations from someone who knows what they’re talking about gratefully received!!)
Get the bus so everyone (apart from the kids) can have a couple of drinks.

Fast train to Paddington then Bakerloo to Wembley Central, which is further away but MUCH quieter. I've got my five year old with me and I'd advise avoiding Wembley Park or any direct trains to from Oxford Parkway to Wembley Stadium. Direct trains back will be horrible - all the toilets will be flooded if you can get to them anyway, beer cans everywhere, standing room only.

A tip for lunch: Grand Junction Arms near Harlesden station on the Bakerloo. Two stops South of Wembley. It's a bit expensive but they let you book a table (I've done so) and beer garden backs on to the canal.

Fast train to Paddington then Bakerloo to Wembley Central, which is further away but MUCH quieter. I've got my five year old with me and I'd advise avoiding Wembley Park or any direct trains to from Oxford Parkway to Wembley Stadium. Direct trains back will be horrible - all the toilets will be flooded if you can get to them anyway, beer cans everywhere, standing room only.

A tip for lunch: Grand Junction Arms near Harlesden station on the Bakerloo. Two stops South of Wembley. It's a bit expensive but they let you book a table (I've done so) and it's next to the canal.

The plus side of Wembley Central is that you can walk to the stadium via the green man, that pit stop shortens the walk quite a bit.

A tip for lunch: Grand Junction Arms near Harlesden station on the Bakerloo. Two stops South of Wembley. It's a bit expensive but they let you book a table (I've done so) and beer garden backs on to the canal.
Thanks so much for this - that sounds perfect. Might even see you in the Grand Junction Arms as that sounds great too!

A note on railcards that some people might not know: both family and friends and network railcards are valid for up to four adults and four children travelling together. Obviously you need a child with you to use the family one.

They both cost £30 a year and save a third. So general rule is, if the fare for your entire group totals £90 or more, get a railcard and you'll save a little bit, but also have an effectively free railcard to use for another year.

Yeah but then you have to go to Swindon, who the f**k wants to do that?My
Because some of us live near Swindon. When I went to Conference final back in the day there were a few others who went from there. Just thought for those who live out this way it would be useful to post details.

Because some of us live near Swindon. When I went to Conference final back in the day there were a few others who went from there. Just thought for those who live out this way it would be useful to post details.
You missed out the 'e' though, big mistake

I was only joking, I don’t live to far from Reading so I am going via there to Paddington, you can’t mention the place you did on here though without expecting it to get abuse though.

I was only joking, I don’t live to far from Reading so I am going via there to Paddington, you can’t mention the place you did on here though without expecting it to get abuse though.
I live 5 miles away. I call them Scumdon usually. I used to whistle Yellow Submarine in Honda and see how many I could hook with it.

I live 5 miles away. I call them Scumdon usually. I used to whistle Yellow Submarine in Honda and see how many I could hook with it.

You used to work among them every day? I had to give a health and safety talk to some of my companies workers in the BMW plant in Swindon last year and I started it with “the company would like you to follow these rules to stop you dying but if any of you are Swindon fans feel free to ignore them”.

I wonder when Chiltern Railways will finalise thier timetable for the 18th? I will be travelling from Haddenham & Thame Parkway and joining some mates coming from Bicester. At the moment only the Bicester North trains for Wembley Stadium stop at Haddenham and there is only one train an hour (and a very long change at Wycombe).

I was living in Shrivenham until a few years ago (Oxfordshire village but with an SN postcode). Always good to have some Yellows in the area putting them in their place!

I was living in Shrivenham until a few years ago (Oxfordshire village but with an SN postcode). Always good to have some Yellows in the area putting them in their place!
I used to wear my BSE/Mad OX t-shirt around the place. That used to always raise some comments.

I used to wear my BSE/Mad OX t-shirt around the place. That used to always raise some comments.

I used to live in Faringdon 20 years ago. Back then there weren't many Oxford fans but since the new houses have been built and Swindon reverting to forever being in our shadow it seems alot more Oxford these days.

I used to live in Faringdon 20 years ago. Back then there weren't many Oxford fans but since the new houses have been built and Swindon reverting to forever being in our shadow it seems alot more Oxford these days.
Yeah I don’t see many, if any, Swindon fans out and about in Faringdon.

Yeah I don’t see many, if any, Swindon fans out and about in Faringdon.

Most of the old boys I knew from there have gone back to being armchair premier league fans since the decline of the Scum from losing the league one play off final in 2015 to dwindling in league 2.

• React
Reactions: SSO

Marylebone is one stop further on from Parkway than Wembley, so your ticket will enable you to get to Wembley directly if you'd prefer.

I bought a Marylebone Off Peak Return, as I want to go there and drink in that area before the game, but it gives me the option of coming home direct from Wembley, as it's closer to Parkway, so will scan OK. This way I can just use Apple Pay on my phone if I get the tube, from Baker Street, to Wembley, or make it the first leg of my return train trip if we get the train from Marylebone to Wembley.

Marylebone is one stop further on from Parkway than Wembley, so your ticket will enable you to get to Wembley directly if you'd prefer.

I bought a Marylebone Off Peak Return, as I want to go there and drink in that area before the game, but it gives me the option of coming home direct from Wembley, as it's closer to Parkway, so will scan OK. This way I can just use Apple Pay on my phone if I get the tube, from Baker Street, to Wembley, or make it the first leg of my return train trip if we get the train from Marylebone to Wembley.
Yes I went for an off-peak return but have ended up switching and will go from Oxford train station to Paddington instead. It’ll be a good day regardless.

Back
Top Bottom