OxVox Updates

Unfortunately these are exactly the sort of actions you might expect from a top 30 club.

(A point better made by @Paul Cannell elsewhere - but blimey does he use a lot of words)

Yeah. I was trying to be definitive and impartial. But that was before I read the OxVox minutes. And was shocked by the treatment of OUR representatives.

I suggest that we, those who have supported the club through thin, do something: boycott club-run panels and surveys until the INDEPENDENT SUPPORTERS' ORGANISATION (OxVox) is given a permanent seat on the board.

Oh, nothing more to go on than a gut feeling, just thinking out loud really.

They are getting it from all sides though, which is a little odd.
If you think any of the numb skulls involved in running this football club at present have got the nous to co-ordinate any sort of effective campaign, or that they’ve got enough friends or allies to make it multifaceted, I would very much like some of whatever it is you’re smoking.

I'm probably being quite dim here, but who are you saying is getting what from all sides?

I'm saying that OxVox are being called negative by the club, whilst some of our supporters are claiming that they are too close to the club.

If you think any of the numb skulls involved in running this football club at present have got the nous to co-ordinate any sort of effective campaign, or that they’ve got enough friends or allies to make it multifaceted, I would very much like some of whatever it is you’re smoking.

Concerning and reassuring in equal measure.

You don't need to be particularly bright to stir up bad feeling though.

I'm saying that OxVox are being called negative by the club, whilst some of our supporters are claiming that they are too close to the club.

Ah thanks for the clarification. As far as I'm concerned Paul Peros' statement the other week went a long way towards nailing the latter, and yesterday's minutes were compelling further evidence that the club doesn't want OxVox too close.

If the management is acting like OxVox is negative it's because they don't like the idea of the fans scrutinising or, god forbid, having a say in the club's activities.

Personally I have to say that I am pretty depressed (but maybe not surprised) by the way the club seems to be behaving.

If there is one thing that *makes* a club *in the long term* it is the size and strength of the supporter base. It's not a big new shiny stadium - it is having enough people attending to fill it (cf Darlington). At the moment, it's all going pretty well on the pitch, there is the promise of a new ground, we have made some decent signings - surely it is exactly the right time to be trying to grow the amount of supporters who are committed for years to come.

Now I do get that many just turn up to watch the football and aren't that bothered with talking on (or at) forums, won't get involved with a supporter's trust and that all of this just passes them by. But a sizeable amount of us *are* on here, or other social media and there are many more who read stuff without necessarily ever commenting.

If the club really want us to be 'customers' only, then they cannot be taken aback if we can judge what they offer with a clear 'consumer' eye - and if they alienate enough of us badly enough they will regret it. We are not Manchester United or Inter Milan with an endless supply of supporters willing to fill the gaps that the more disillusioned will leave - and trying to get those people back is much more difficult than keeping them in the first place.

The Blessed Methven had a spreadsheet of the "catchment area" (allegedly) that demonstrated we have the potential to draw plastic suppoters from an even wider range of suitable-income towns than Brighton, given the stadium, transport facilitation and what-not.

I suspect these hordes of former "Reading supporters" and "united fans" have been assessed and. finely calibrated, found to outweigh our clear 'consumer' eye in the 5-year plan.

Back
Top Bottom