General Oxford United Squad 2023/24

Seems to be a pretty good reason not to share this information if this is the potential outcome!

Fair point - I guess it can work both ways!
Although if we have signed an absolute lemon on a four year contract, maybe a bit of fan hounding out of the club would not be a bad thing for the balance sheet?

Take the converse example then - if we all know a player is out of contract at season's end, the fans might be more inclined to go heavy on the adulation and hero-worship in an attempt to persuade him to stay.

Fair point - I guess it can work both ways!
Although if we have signed an absolute lemon on a four year contract, maybe a bit of fan hounding out of the club would not be a bad thing for the balance sheet?

Take the converse example then - if we all know a player is out of contract at season's end, the fans might be more inclined to go heavy on the adulation and hero-worship in an attempt to persuade him to stay.
It’s good fun to know details of contract length and salary but I don’t think we can demand it, the club isn’t using public money and we don’t even know what our colleagues are paid.

It’s good fun to know details of contract length and salary but I don’t think we can demand it, the club isn’t using public money and we don’t even know what our colleagues are paid.
No, we can't demand it.

But I know the details of contract length and salary for every player on my favourite NHL, MLB and NFL teams, and they aren't using public money either:

American sports leagues know that fans like to know and debate this stuff - and therefore mandating its release keeps them happier and more engaged.

Whereas English football just likes to pat us supporters on the head and say "Don't worry yourself about these details, just give us your money"

Luton for example, have been masking contracts for years. Obviously to try and maintain competitive advantage.

Those in the game will know what the contract status of players is.

It’s to prevent clubs from doing a mass Transfermarkt/Wyscout filter of those with expiring contract next summer for example. Anyone could go onto either, filter for players OOC next summer and compile lists to approach in January etc. Players won’t show in the search and would require extra work for recruitment teams establish the status.

Unless the owners want to let people into every game for free and fund 100% of the running costs without any fan putting in a penny then I disagree with that statement.
You know what I mean. It’s a private company not one funded by tax revenues.

Players listed - (Contract expiry date)

Goalkeepers - McGinty (2025), Stevens (2025), Eastwood (2024)

Defenders - Findlay (2026), Moore (2025), Long (2024), Seddon (2024), Brown (2024), Negru (2024)

Midfielders - Brannagan (2025), Smyth (2025), McGuane (2024), Henry (2024)

Wingers - Browne (2024), Murphy (2024), Bodin (2024), Wildschut (2024), Goodrham (2024)

Strikers - Baldock (2024), O’Donkor (2024)

Players leaving (OOC or Loans) - Taylor, Joseph, Smith, Jones, Konate, Bate, Gorrin, Anderson, Fleming

Does anyone have an updated list for our squad next season?

Does anyone have an updated list for our squad next season?
It's incredibly different now the club have stopped announcing end dates on deals or just describing things as "long term".

But based on my own notes - we're in this position.

Out of Contract - Bennett, Bodin, Edwards, Franklin, Henry, Johnson, Murphy, Seddon
Out of Contract with Option - Browne, McGuane
Loans Ending - Burey, Cumming, Stevens

Know contract lengths for next season and beyond
Goalkeepers - Eastwood (2025), McGinty (2025+option)

Defenders - Brown, Findlay, Long (All 2026)
Golding, Leigh, Moore, Negru, Thorniley (All contracted but see below)

Midfielders - Brannagan, Smyth (Both 2025)
McEachran (Assumed to be contracted but see below)

Wingers/Attacking Mids - Dale, Goodrham, Rodrigues, Woltman (All assumed to be contracted but see below)

Forwards - Goodwin, Harris, O'Donkor (All contracted but see below)

Unknown Contract Lengths Remaining
Brearey - Length of pro deal was not announced.

Golding - Signed a "new long term deal" on 2nd May 2023. (Previously contracted until end of 23/24)
Leigh - no contract length announced.
Moore - Signed a "new long term deal" on 28th September 2023. (Previously contracted until end of 24/25)
Negru - Signed a "new long term deal" on 8th September 2023. (Previously contracted until end of 24/25)
Thorniley - no contract length announced.

McEachran - no contract length announced.

Dale - no contract length announced.
Goodrham - Signed a "new long term deal" on 11th January 2024. (Previously contracted until end of 23/24 plus a years option)
Rodrigues - no contract length announced.
Woltman - no contract length announced.

Goodwin - Signed a "long term deal" on 19th January 2024.
Harris - Signed a "long term deal" on 11th July 2023.
O'Donkor - Signed a "new long term deal" on 30th August 2023. (Previously contracted until end of 23/24 plus a years option)

You would hope "long term deal" was 3 years minimum.

It's incredibly different now the club have stopped announcing end dates on deals or just describing things as "long term".

Out of Contract - Bennett, Bodin, Edwards, Franklin, Henry, Johnson, Murphy, Seddon

Wingers/Attacking Mids - Dale, Goodrham, Rodrigues, Woltman (All assumed to be contracted but see below)

Golding - Signed a "new long term deal" on 2nd May 2023. (Previously contracted until end of 23/24)
Moore - Signed a "new long term deal" on 28th September 2023. (Previously contracted until end of 24/25)
Negru - Signed a "new long term deal" on 8th September 2023. (Previously contracted until end of 24/25)

Goodrham - Signed a "new long term deal" on 11th January 2024. (Previously contracted until end of 23/24 plus a years option)

O'Donkor - Signed a "new long term deal" on 30th August 2023. (Previously contracted until end of 23/24 plus a years option)
Good starting point for next season there - Moore, Brown, Leigh, Cam, Dale, Goodrham, Rodrigues, Harris.

Some tough calls on the ooc players though. Be interesting to see how many of Murphy, Edwards and Browne get offered new deals, suspect the first two. Bennett been solid enough, but 34 now. Bodin another borderline one. McGuane looks gone, but seems silly to let him leave for free.

Get the feeling that when the put ‘long term’ it’s likely to be a 3 year deal & with a possible +1 year extra club option for some players (Jerome mentioned Goodwin’s was a 2 & half + 1 year option)

Retain:
Murphy with a deal which suits both us/him this time round

Bennett who’s done pretty well throughout his time here more than capable of doing a job for the team

Release:
McGuane his contract will get activated but hasn’t shown any signs before des came in to commit long term needs cashing in come the summer we’ve seen numerous times over the last couple of seasons what an unbelievable start he has only for him to fall off a cliff then to go back into a shell I’ve never been so frustrated with a player with his talent play with the handbrake on

Browne I wouldn’t take the risk again despite an option on his deal its time to move on

Bodin despite getting some crucial goals flatters to deceive so often & the amount of times he gives away possession is really poor for his ability

Henry easy one great times in the past but should of been released 2 years ago we saw at the beginning of last season his legs were gone

Edwards injury prone throughout his career not worth the risk even if it’s pay as you play

Seddon isn’t worth commenting to much not good enough at any point

Time to be ruthless for once we can’t be carrying passengers no more most aren’t contributing enough for the big wages they’ve been on in recent years I don’t think we’ve had that much value for money, that a hell of a lot freed up this summer which needs spending wisely this time round

Loans: none worth keeping Cummings has been a big disappointment, Burey say no more, Matete the dream that never was unfortunately all down to injury/fitness levels before signing here

Move on:
Findlay needs a permanent move

Thorniley & McEachran both shown to be to slow at the level now & not as good for us need finding a new club

Last edited:
Get the feeling that when the put ‘long term’ it’s likely to be a 3 year deal & with a possible +1 year extra club option for some players (Jerome mentioned Goodwin’s was a 2 & half + 1 year option)

Retain:
Murphy with a deal which suits both us/him this time round

Bennett who’s done pretty well throughout his time here more than capable of doing a job for the team

Release:
McGuane his contract will get activated but hasn’t shown any signs before des came in to commit long term needs cashing in come the summer we’ve seen numerous times over the last couple of seasons what an unbelievable start he has only for him to fall off a cliff then to go back into a shell I’ve never been so frustrated with a player with his talent play with the handbrake on

Browne I wouldn’t take the risk again despite an option on his deal its time to move on

Bodin despite getting some crucial goals flatters to deceive so often & the amount of times he gives away possession is really poor for his ability

Henry easy one great times in the past but should of been released 2 years ago we saw at the beginning of last season his legs were gone

Edwards injury prone throughout his career not worth the risk even if it’s pay as you play

Seddon isn’t worth commenting to much not good enough at any point

Time to be ruthless for once we can’t be carrying passengers no more most aren’t contributing enough for the big wages they’ve been on in recent years I don’t think we’ve had that much value for money, that a hell of a lot freed up this summer which needs spending wisely this time round

Loans: none worth keeping Cummings has been a big disappointment, Burey say no more, Matete the dream that never was unfortunately all down to injury/fitness levels before signing here

Move on:
Findlay needs a permanent move

Thorniley & McEachran both shown to be to slow at the level now & not as good for us need finding a new club
Agree but would not mind keeping Edward’s was fantastic the few games played

Offer new deals to the following:
Edwards because he had a couple of good games when he was actually fit.
Browne because he might go somewhere else and be amazing so don’t want to risk it.
Henry because he is good around the dressing room and good for team moral.

Browne because he might go somewhere else and be amazing so don’t want to risk it.

You don't work for us any more Karl, you need to talk your boss Ryan Giggs about signing these players on.

Last edited:

Hi Karl

3 year deal for Josh Murphy on improved terms and an extention for Sam Long including an agreement that he'll be starting fullback.

I’d give Edwards a six month deal with an optional extension - for all the effort we’ve put in to get him fit it’d be a miss to release him in the summer and see him doing the business for another League One team. However, if he has further issues then we can cut our losses in January.

We do thought have to be ruthless across the board though, and we can only really be picking a maximum of two from Murphy/Browne/Edwards. As good as Browne can be, we can’t justify the wages and fitness issues.

I’d give Edwards a six month deal with an optional extension - for all the effort we’ve put in to get him fit it’d be a miss to release him in the summer and see him doing the business for another League One team. However, if he has further issues then we can cut our losses in January.
The guy is literally on crutches right now, I don't think the pope will be chasing beatification for our physio team...

Back
Top Bottom