Home Match Build Up Oxford Fanatics - How can we help?

Wandering Yellow

Was just reading through the Portsmouth match-day thread and it seems to be heavily talking about the atmosphere at home games. Atmosphere is really important not only to the team, but also it makes it more enjoyable for us all to see some colour and hear some noise at our unfortunately out-of-town and drab stadium we currently have.

I would absolutely love Stratfield Brake to happen, but as we are stuck at the Breezeblock for the meantime, the Oxford Fanatics will be pretty crucial in making it a better experience and inspiring the team.

I know they have a paypal here: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/oxfordfanatics

My question is, if there is any of the lads from the group on here, how else can we help? Do you need people to volunteer to wave flags, help set up displays, help organise?

Could anyone on here help liase with the club about setting up a free-area in the East Stand (undesignated) zone so people who want to get involved can gather together easier for next season? What do the lads need to grow the group and make their lives easier?

If you had a designated banner at away ends maybe those who want to make some noise could gather around that?

If any of the lads are reading this - thankyou for the work you are doing. You are improving things.

Was just reading through the Portsmouth match-day thread and it seems to be heavily talking about the atmosphere at home games. Atmosphere is really important not only to the team, but also it makes it more enjoyable for us all to see some colour and hear some noise at our unfortunately out-of-town and drab stadium we currently have.

I would absolutely love Stratfield Brake to happen, but as we are stuck at the Breezeblock for the meantime, the Oxford Fanatics will be pretty crucial in making it a better experience and inspiring the team.

I know they have a paypal here: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/oxfordfanatics

My question is, if there is any of the lads from the group on here, how else can we help? Do you need people to volunteer to wave flags, help set up displays, help organise?

Could anyone on here help liase with the club about setting up a free-area in the East Stand (undesignated) zone so people who want to get involved can gather together easier for next season? What do the lads need to grow the group and make their lives easier?

If you had a designated banner at away ends maybe those who want to make some noise could gather around that?

If any of the lads are reading this - thankyou for the work you are doing. You are improving things.
^^ I second that .......and, yes, if any of the group members are on here, or if they're not but anyone on here knows any of them, get em to get in touch, and let YF posters ( those that want to of course), know what help we can give and how

Do the Fanatics have any plans for next season in terms of having a specific "section"? Can the club work with them to allocate them say, 50 tickets in a block at an away game and they can then dish the tickets out to their group? The HF have this arrangement with Palace to great effect.

Do they need funding for larger wavers/surfers, and are the club happy for them occasionally to get their flags out after a big moment (ie scoring a goal), I feel like it adds to the atmosphere.

Hopefully the increased atmosphere helped get younger fans hooked on OUFC last season, good work all involved

Should the fanatics group have a user name on here to post under?

I believe you will find that the group receives a lot of support from both OxVox and the OUSP.
An email to either will get a response and they can liaise with the Fanatics.

Optimistic but would love a designated unallocated section back half of the middle two blocks in the east stand.

If possible stick some of those rails in said areas like what we had previously (surely can't cost much?). On many an occasion this season there were people jumping over seats leading to piles of people being pushed to the floor when we scored. The club needs to put something in place to prevent a potential tragedy, since simply asking fans to behave in the heat of the moment is never going to work.

Last edited:
Optimistic but would love a designated unallocated section back half of the middle two blocks in the east stand.

If possible stick some of those rails in said areas like what we had previously (surely can't cost much?). On many an occasion this season there were people jumping over seats leading to piles of people being pushed to the floor when we scored. The club needs to put something in place to prevent a potential tragedy, since simply asking fans to behave in the heat of the moment is never going to work.

I would imagine the main issue will be the K-word.
That and as soon as any seating becomes unallocated the capacity of the stand goes down.

Unfortunately a home section will be unlikely until we move stadium. The Ultras had half a dozen seasons asking for a "singing section" due to growing support and not enough room for new Ultras to join us, we suggested that ideally this new area would be unreserved seating, or at the very least labelled a singing section when season ticket renewals come round, and ST holders in that area are made aware of the section.

Unfortunately it was always pushed back to discuss in the summer during the season, then the club immediately put renewals out and bottled the opportunity to make something happen, year in, year out.

One year, they even put out an official story on oufc.co.uk informing fans of a new unreserved area in the East Stand, they then took it down and claimed it wasn't possible due to season ticket renewals again. So frustrating going round in circles every year, and when we thought they were onboard they quickly bottled the opportunity.

I hope the new Fanatics Group get more support from the club, especially if they start to grow in numbers. However I think they'll probably end up having to wait for Stratfield Brake

It is quite tricky, if I was a ST holder in that area and was told I had to move seat to introduce this initiative, I'd be p*ssed off.

I would imagine the main issue will be the K-word.
That and as soon as any seating becomes unallocated the capacity of the stand goes down.
It's likely the issue would be that safe standing rails are not cheap to install. As they would (hopefully) only be in use for a few seasons before moving, it probably doesn't make sense. So we all need to think laterally.

It's likely the issue would be that safe standing rails are not cheap to install. As they would (hopefully) only be in use for a few seasons before moving, it probably doesn't make sense. So we all need to think laterally.
Yes, the generally recognised cost is £80/seat (v £40-60/seat for regular seats).

Surely having the Fanatics singing all over the OMS would encourage more fans to sing? Rather than all in one area.

Interesting concept but also easier to do when your average home attendance is below 3,000.
Above 3000 this season, and remains unallocated for their playoff game tonight that has hit 6000 sales including said end being sold out.

The reviews of how it goes tonight will be very interesting, for how practical it is.

Last edited:
Above 3000 this season, and remains unallocated for their playoff game tonight that has hit 6000 sales including said end being sold out.

The reviews of how it goes tonight will be very interesting, for how practical it is.
True and I quite like the concept but they were able to achieve this with a new stadium where no-one had a previously designated seat where they have sat for years. Maybe in 2026........?

It is quite tricky, if I was a ST holder in that area and was told I had to move seat to introduce this initiative, I'd be p*ssed off.
Can I ask why as a genuine question? If you knew it had the potential to revolutionise the atmosphere would you still be p*ssed off?

I presume most people sit in the East Stand for atmosphere, as the views are far better in the other two.

If people stood in the London Road End for the same reason, you didn't have a reserved 1x1ft square on the terrace, so surely you just stood in roughly the same place each game and arrived a little earlier to secure it if needed. I always wondered why it differs as soon as a plastic seat is bolted onto it.

It always held the club back from providing an unreserved singing section due to people complaining that they'd lose their seat and the club didn't want any negative press. If they arrived at least 20 minutes before kick-off the seat would be available 90% of the time, or certainly the seats either side.

The ST renewals thread has had so many negative views, imagine how many more if people were being told their seats weren't available. Creating a singing area, whether unallocated or not, would need a long run in and plan. Currently I don't think there are that many free ST spaces in the back centre of OM stand, so moving people from there would cause complaints however it was done.

The ST renewals thread has had so many negative views, imagine how many more if people were being told their seats weren't available. Creating a singing area, whether unallocated or not, would need a long run in and plan. Currently I don't think there are that many free ST spaces in the back centre of OM stand, so moving people from there would cause complaints however it was done.
When you say "imagine how many more", we're talking a block of 50 seats, 100 seats, literally anything. So that's the maximum complaints you'd be dealing with.

For me, it would be a pretty simple answer, the club would be asking less than 100 ST holders if they would help improve the matchday experience for 7, 8, 9000 other fans.

Oh, and they don't even have to lose their seats, just arrive 10 minutes earlier and it'll be empty. If they don't want to be in a singing area, offer them a free upgrade to any available seat in the stadium.

It doesn't really need a long run in plan, we drew up plans countless times and presented them to the club, they had these plans and ideas put across and didn't act on them for over 5-6 years. It was simply easier for them to say they'll support us where possible, but anything revolutionary that requires proactive work is pushed aside.

It's a shame, because by now we could have had hundreds of Ultras leading the singing in the centre of the stand, flags flying, people bouncing, and the rest of the leagues in awe of the East Stand. Instead, we are now have an Ultra group disbanded, and another Fanatics group who could end up the same way in 5-6 years time when they realise they can't grow or improve beyond 20 lads stuck in the back 2 rows, mixed in with season ticket holders.

Crystal Palace have the Holmsdale Fanatics, they outgrew the corner of the stand and the club were unwilling to grant them a specific central area. This led to them withdrawing from the stadium all together for one season, which led to the worse atmosphere for many years and fans complaining. This year, the club granted them the top central area of the stand, unreserved seats and moved existing ST holders. They're now having a revolutionary season for UK support and the best atmosphere Selhurst has ever had.

Eventually, the groups grow and need clubs and other fans to work together to keep things moving, otherwise you lose something special just as it's building momentum. Palace saved theirs when it was on the brink. I hope OUFC do the same if the Oxford Fanatics are hitting big numbers in a few years time.

Back
Top Bottom