General Offensive Chanting

Why do we get on and on Swindon fan kick his f head in, let me remind you that we sre now getting more and more very young fans coming to matches, they are the next generation of fans, we dont need it.
Do you sing it in the playground to one of the teachers you dont like, i doubt it.
Only if the teacher is a Swindon fan

meanwhile the tofu eating wokerati complain about being heckled with "Number 10, your laces are undone".
one of my favourite heckles. it's stupid: it's not racist, sexist, or foul language.
there's probably a rule against fans blowing a refs whistle to distract a player, but is this any different to me from the roar "you're s**t - aarrgghh"

I wonder if she got paid for that article. It’s bizarrely self absorbed and seems to make little to no valuable point. Better off on a letters page

I don't really like tofu, don't vote labour, read the article and thought that while the chant was tame, the boys were out of order—come on, a megaphone?

Not sure this is the right part of the forum, but I'm interested to know why you (and many others) use 'wokeness' as a derogatory term? Genuinely interested by the way, not trying to pick a fight or make a point.

The modern definition of woke, while being adopted as a putdown by many (whose politics lean right it would appear), means being aware of social injustices. It therefore feels somewhat akin to saying something like 'the anti-homophobia brigade' or 'the cult of anti-racism'. I speak as someone who again, doesn't vote labour (or read the guardian) and doesn't enjoy tofu. I do however think it's surely better to aspire to being woke, than the opposite.

I guess I did make a point, sort of, but would be interested to get an earnest response all the same.

It tends to be perceived as oft having good intent (or not in cases) but being overused or misused to start to diminish on freedom of expression or action or opportunity.

As you say there’s nothing wrong with social injustice. I think woke has become a term to capture where activity goes to an extreme of social injustice that creates its own counter injustices .

Not intending to get into a debate as this is probably about to become the most borinb thread on the forum if it does!

Have you not read anything by Adrian Chiles in there?
I have, but even with Adrian Chiles you get the idea that the whole point is how ridiculous and mundane the topic is.

With yesterday's article, though, I was left wondering if it was a Chiles-esque attempt to poke fun at the author herself, or if she actually expected us to well up in admiration for her incredibly brave confrontation of some heckling boys.

It enraged me.

I thought they used to sing, Peter Foley wants some water..🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

When they were younger my two sons thought the chant was 'yoshi ahhh' when the keeper was taking a goal or free kick. I still think of that on the rare occasions the chant is used now and oh, I still like to remind them both, even though they are in their 20s.

The other day i was thinking about the

"Who's your father, referee?" Have not heard that in the last 10 years!
The song I particularly liked was when the London Roader in the right side with a truly great, operatic type voice started the song “Referee sh1t, referee sh1t, your old lady is a whore” and the whole of the left & right sides then piped up “Is a whooooore “.

Now that I’m a qualified referee I still chuckle over this remarkable song sang in unison. Unfortunately my current ‘old lady’ doesn’t like it quite as much!

The song I particularly liked was when the London Roader in the right side with a truly great, operatic type voice started the song “Referee sh1t, referee sh1t, your old lady is a whore” and the whole of the left & right sides then piped up “Is a whooooore “.

Now that I’m a qualified referee I still chuckle over this remarkable song sang in unison. Unfortunately my current ‘old lady’ doesn’t like it quite as much!
Oh god yes! I remember that

Wasn't it Knappy who started that, from the left side?

My Dads version of Manchester w**k w**k w**k was ,Manchester quack , quack ,quack..
With my kids we join in with the goal kick chant but change it slightly …….

“Wooooooooooooo you’re a bad Goalkeepaaaaaa”

They know it’s their dad being an idiot but they do it all the same…..

Stop singing it at her then

I had completely forgotten about that song, you just don't get the quality of insults anymore.

When I started going to watch Oxford (aged 8 on the Beech Rd terrace) I thought the chant of 'she fell over, she fell over' was 'keith and orville, keith and orville!'

Quite embarrassing to find a few yrs later I misheard! 😳😖
I thought it was 'cheat fell over' for a while. Which, granted, isn't as embarrassing as yours...

Back
Top Bottom