Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would MAPPS previous slow start be a concern to many here?
He took us from bottom of the league to midtable. It was a painful transitional period with some absolutely dire football at times but it born out some excellent players like Roofe and O’Dowda and we made some excellent gradual progress that saw us promoted a year later. If we had Waddock and Leneghan in the crows nest, we would’ve gone back to the Conference.

The only worry with MAPP now would be the sheer amount of players required and the huge cost it will incur to offload and replace. It is a process that won’t be achieved as quickly now or with the same level of flexibility in players coming in and out. We have too many still on big contracts that need to be gone. He will probably end up having to utilise players he doesn’t want just to fill in gaps and because we can’t afford to remove/replace.

If it was the summer and L1 status was assured I would be inclined to look at someone like Des Buckingham but with no EFL managerial experience and walking into a highly unstable position just feel like Appleton would be the better approach even taking into account whether he is an immediate turnaround type of manager. No-one internally can do the interim role for long.

I don't understand why Tiger should have a big, final say in who we bring in. Surely you would get a consultant or expert in the field to advise and make the best decision rather than an old connection at a former club. He's not exactly a football genius.
Am I missing something here? Does Elon Musk hire the cleaner?

Elek made a good point on the Dub this week that for MApp, having 12 games as interim works well for both parties.

MApp is coming into a totally different set up to previously with training ground, owners, players. After poor managerial selections at the start of his career he now chooses jobs based on ownership rather than club. MApp appointed interim would give him the opportunity to experience the club (whilst hopefully keeping us up!), whilst the club can also do the same before making a decision in the summer.

There are two jobs to be done. If we were safe, Buckingham would be an exciting choice - with the relegation element for the remainder of the season, instinctively would go with someone for experience. Buckingham would be an outstanding candidate, just maybe not at the moment.

Interesting none the less - what if we have a DoF lined up and they are putting some names forward? I think it's an attractive job that will see some impressive applications.
That’s pretty much how I see it “your last paragraph”

I think it’s a very attractive job, that a lot of managers would be interested in.

Im undecided who I want.

Short term in getting us out of a relegation battle I wouldnt want Appleton but think long term he'd be a good fit as hes a project manager, Wilder would get us out of the mix but cant see him wanting to come here and not sure hed stay long if was permanent

Lennon (and im a huge Celtic fan) is a no from me a divisive and odious character that we would be wanting out within 6-8 months

Critchley id have said yes but was poor at QPR

I don't understand why Tiger should have a big, final say in who we bring in. Surely you would get a consultant or expert in the field to advise and make the best decision rather than an old connection at a former club. He's not exactly a football genius.
I shouldn’t think so, but he would if he was hiring the person who was to run the most important part of his business.

That’s pretty much how I see it “your last paragraph”

I think it’s a very attractive job, that a lot of managers would be interested in.
There's a lot of good about the club...aside from the league position and performances this season, but I think any manager would back themselves to turn that around. They would also turn it around knowing they have a good training ground set up, progress on a stadium, will be backed in the transfer market both in terms of wages and transfer fees - get through the next 12 games and keep us up and (I think) we can offer something exciting.

Well at least if Appleton has a slow start we'll have the perfect man to get us out of League Two! 😆

Agreed, and let’s face it, you’d have to be bloody useless to not have success at Celtic!

He also seems like he’s got a real chip on his shoulder, no thanks
Lennon is a vile scumbag, not even basing that on his connections to beast fc, I actually know people who were close to him.

Some of the stuff they told me he got up to is not something we want at OUFC.

TBH, at Twitter he has been involved in the firing of everyone so far...

I read an interview with him in one of the Sunday supplements recently. Arrogant and deluded. I've also heard that he went for a lower league job (could have been us?) and whereas all the other candidates were fully prepped, he didn't even know the names of the players. He was a great player, but great players very rarely make good managers,
Exactly 💯
He‘s been out of work (managerial) since 2020.
his last job with Southend 26 games, 5 wins, 6 draws and 15 defeats!
Given his comments and one which alluded to he didn’t get the job here was because of his skin colour. I wouldn’t want him anywhere near our club.

Im undecided who I want.

Short term in getting us out of a relegation battle I wouldnt want Appleton but think long term he'd be a good fit as hes a project manager, Wilder would get us out of the mix but cant see him wanting to come here and not sure hed stay long if was permanent

Lennon (and im a huge Celtic fan) is a no from me a divisive and odious character that we would be wanting out within 6-8 months

Critchley id have said yes but was poor at QPR
I would like to think Appleton’s experience and understanding of the situation would mean he’s not going to try and reinvent the wheel.

Any manager worth their salt, sets us up in a formation that’s hard to beat, motivates the players and gives them belief. That’s about all you can do at this stage.

I think he was with the Huns?

They had a great result against the Romans but what have they done in the last 1500 hundred years? Although the old school approach of tying Murphy to the back of a horse and dragging him around until either he dies or his attitude improves might just be the only thing that works, not certain what the PFA will think of it though.

I would like to think Appleton’s experience and understanding of the situation would mean he’s not going to try and reinvent the wheel.

Any manager worth their salt, sets us up in a formation that’s hard to beat, motivates the players and gives them belief. That’s about all you can do at this stage.
I think Appleton’s been guilty in the past of trying to implement a philosophy too quickly - the Cowleys to him was some jump. The first year at Ox he was trying to get Michael Collins and Junior Brown playing like Rothwell and Johnson. While we don’t have the players we did last season, the squad now is at least broadly set up to play the way Appleton wanted to last time. Could see Djavan and McGuane thriving under him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom