Ref Watch Modern Referees... I've Had It!!

I’ve only looked at the penalty decisions but Fulham’s second penalty in injury time was 200% a clear penalty and VAR made the right decision to refer it to the referee, and he made the right decision to award it. Gary O’Neil needs to face facts - he needs to coach his defenders to defend and not concede penalties.

The Wolves defender stuck out and planted his right leg. He did not touch the ball nor did it look like he tried. The Fulham player went over his leg, possibly trying to win a penalty as he was heading away from goal.

Penalty all day long, plus it should’ve been a booking for the Wolves defender.

If that 2nd penalty is clear and obvious then the contact by the Wolves defender on the ball for the 1st is clear and obvious; there is a replay shown while he was making his decision that shows this so he will have seen it. It also wasn't dangerous. Salisbury has already confirmed he'd have changed his decision but couldn't because the VAR Official has a different interpretation.

Check the headbutt out as well as that is clear and obvious. I've seen players sent off for far less.

Attwell has treated the interpretation of 'clear and obvious' differently across those decisions. It is ridiculous.

We'll have to disagree on the 2nd penalty as the Fulham player wasn't possibly trying to win a penalty, that is exactly what he was doing and his cheating has been rewarded.

I've often wondered if we should have ex players as referees, assuming they wanted to do it. At least they would have more of an understanding of the game. They have them in cricket and rugby

I've often wondered if we should have ex players as referees, assuming they wanted to do it. At least they would have more of an understanding of the game. They have them in cricket and rugby
The problem is the ex players never seem to know the laws. The most tiresome part of pundits is when they show they obviously don't know the laws. You would need to progress up the leagues too. They would be what minimum age 50 before they reach the premier League.

The problem is the ex players never seem to know the laws. The most tiresome part of pundits is when they show they obviously don't know the laws. You would need to progress up the leagues too. They would be what minimum age 50 before they reach the premier League.
Players I’d like to see reffing one day:

Chris Maguire
Danny Hylton
Ryan Ledson

How often do we hear them whinge that "[they] just don't understand the rules anymore". That's your JOB!

Players I’d like to see reffing one day:

Chris Maguire
Danny Hylton
Ryan Ledson

Mateo Corbo
Joe Skarz
Jamie Mackie (the new Trevor Kettle as he'd never make it out of the centre circle in time)

• React
Reactions: MJB
When I played in the local leagues many years ago we would sometimes be short of a ref for the game. One of our more senior players would often stand in and ref the game.

It was really interesting, as a player he was continually in the ref’s ear, moaning, complaining, questioning decisions. As a referee he was excellent, didn’t take any nonsense, set his stall out early about bad language, and had no hesitation in booking a player early on to exert his control.

it’s not a new thing though, my first season at the manor was 71/72 and I remember my gramp telling the game was going to be poor because we had a bad ref, I think his name was Fitzpatrick and I couldn’t figure out how my gramp knew he was going to be shite before a ball had even been kicked.
He was right though I can still remember how bad he was to this day.

Back
Top Bottom