Local News Meanwhile in Leicester............

Essexyellows

Not to be underestimated what this means in the City.

"Evington Councillor Deepak Bajaj has announced he is defecting from Labour to join the Conservative Party in Leicester.

Crossing the political divide, Cllr Bajaj told his former Labour Colleagues that "the Labour led Leicester Council continuously blocks support from reaching those who need it within our city".

“Unfortunately decisions are often taken without proper engagement or consultation. A complete failure of democratic processes."

As a Councillor of over 15 years who has recently served as the city’s Lord Mayor, Cllr Bajaj said the city needed leadership that "upholds the highest standards of democracy and honesty, and unfortunately the current administration is not that."

I don’t believe elected representatives should be able to switch allegiance without being re-elected.
Rightly or wrongly, many people vote for a candidate based on the party that they represent not for the individual themselves (although I’m sure they would like to think otherwise).

I don’t believe elected representatives should be able to switch allegiance without being re-elected.
Rightly or wrongly, many people vote for a candidate based on the party that they represent not for the individual themselves (although I’m sure they would like to think otherwise).

I agree 100% - whichever way they go.

The councillor in question is a really active, community based chap who knows his patch and works for everyone.
Irrespective of his 25 years as a Labour Party member, he is one of those really good local councillors.

His exposure of the impact of a "dictatorial" Mayoral system is going to have a massive impact on the City.
I would suspect we will be "doing a Bristol" and getting rid of ours.
1662573588052.png

The "good news" keeps rolling in, can`t beat a nice bit of sectarianism..... :rolleyes:

It`ll be fine the police have "set up meetings with community leaders" and released little video on Youtube asking folk to #bekind

1662591517654.png

Been rabble rousing @Essexyellows? :)

I think this is partially the influence of the extreme Hindu nationalism of the BJP Party/Modi Govt and the Muslim kickback to that. It is sad that extremism is affecting the diaspora elsewhere as well as in India itself.

And this:

A woman who witnessed Saturday's disturbances said there were people wearing balaclavas or with masks over their faces, and with hoods pulled up.
She told the BBC they were "just everywhere, it was like crowds walking away from a football match".

Football is absolutely nothing to do with this and I've never seen football crowds walking away wearing balaclavas. This is young men of 2 parts of a community clashing and nothing to do with football.

Yep the police and "community leaders" are all piling out with the "stay calm" messages and "keep talking" while the police try and stop tooled up gangs trying to kill each other without upsetting them by arresting folk.

Go in hard with horses, dogs and kettle the incoming gangs and crack a few heads they`ll soon stop.

It`s in the East so nowhere near us thankfully.

Remember when we had a police force? Now we have some soft, woke bystanders in hi-viz.

Yep the police and "community leaders" are all piling out with the "stay calm" messages and "keep talking" while the police try and stop tooled up gangs trying to kill each other without upsetting them by arresting folk.

Go in hard with horses, dogs and kettle the incoming gangs and crack a few heads they`ll soon stop.

Remember when we had a police force? Now we have some soft, woke bystanders in hi-viz.
Well, the country losing 20000 officers between 2010 and 2019, including many of the most experienced officers, and a number of mounted units might have an impact.

Well, the country losing 20000 officers between 2010 and 2019, including many of the most experienced officers, and a number of mounted units might have an impact.

They shipped in lots of resource last night and around 20 got arrested, its taken almost 2 weeks to realise that the softly, softly approach doesn`t work with religious fundamentalists.

Or they read this place..........

They shipped in lots of resource last night and around 20 got arrested, its taken almost 2 weeks to realise that the softly, softly approach doesn`t work with religious fundamentalists.

Or they read this place..........
Or it takes that long to book in the resources in a police 'force' shorn of resources by 'austerity'.

If the Police just pretend their dealing with a football crowd all will be resolved

Or it takes that long to book in the resources in a police 'force' shorn of resources by 'austerity'.

Nope, for several weeks the "community" have been saying it was high jinx associated with the cricket. :ROFLMAO:

A quick read of social media shows the various groups were planning meets and this is the outcome.

If they were football fans lacking the shield of "cultural diversity" then the problem would have been stopped almost at source.

As we now have a police service that check a diversity & monitoring sheet before doing anything that is where the problem grows & escalates from.... nothing to do with austerity. More to do with liberalism and fear of the oft played race card.

You don't elect a party, but a person. Look beyond the badge of a political party. Don't vote in local elections on the basis of the popularity, or lack of, of the PM - or leader of the opposition.

If you vote for your local Labour MP, you expect them to be aligned to the Labour Party manifesto. If they subsequently switch to another party then they are not the “person” that you voted for initially.
Take an extreme example:
You voted for Nigel the UKIP Brexiteer.
To everyone’s amazement he switches to the Lib Dems, who are Remainers.
Does Nigel still represent what you voted for?

Almost as bad as your MP being thrown out of said party after a criminal conviction but still retaining her cushy job & salary.

She is also remarkably quiet after the "local" issues as she won`t know which side of the fence to step. :ROFLMAO:

47 arrests so far............... local news report...

A 20-year-old man has been sentenced 10 months in prison following his arrest during the disorder in East Leicester.
Amos Noronha, of Illingworth Road, Leicester, appeared at Leicester Magistrates' Court this morning (Monday) and pleaded guilty to possession of an offensive weapon.

An additional 18 people were arrested on Sunday night for a number of offences including affray, common assault, possession of an offensive weapon and violent disorder.

In total, 47 people have been arrested for offences in relation to the unrest in the east of the city.

Some of those arrested were from out of the city, including some people from Birmingham.

47 arrests so far............... local news report...

A 20-year-old man has been sentenced 10 months in prison following his arrest during the disorder in East Leicester.
Amos Noronha, of Illingworth Road, Leicester, appeared at Leicester Magistrates' Court this morning (Monday) and pleaded guilty to possession of an offensive weapon.

An additional 18 people were arrested on Sunday night for a number of offences including affray, common assault, possession of an offensive weapon and violent disorder.

In total, 47 people have been arrested for offences in relation to the unrest in the east of the city.

Some of those arrested were from out of the city, including some people from Birmingham.

I assume Noronha was from an earlier clash otherwise even with pleading guilty that is rapid justice.

I assume Noronha was from an earlier clash otherwise even with pleading guilty that is rapid justice.

Good question! Possibly out on licence/suspended sentence or similar?
Thought there was a huge backlog according to many?

It seems most of those arrested are from elsewhere rather than the City.

The local police have been completely wrong footed/caught cold on this as its been bubbling along since mid-May and was little to do with cricket.