Ex Player Matt Taylor

Letting Hylton, Mullins and Jake Wright go on frees after getting us promoted to League One - only for them to all go on to reach promotion to the Championship with their respective clubs - has got to be up there in my books!

We bought Nelson in so the centre backs were at least ably replaced, Hylton was replaced with Thomas and Hemmings, all while losing Roofe and O Dowda as well. We still finished 8th, had we managed to keep Hylton and got another decent forward in (Taylor coming in then would have been ideal) we make the play offs.

We bought Nelson in so the centre backs were at least ably replaced, Hylton was replaced with Thomas and Hemmings, all while losing Roofe and O Dowda as well. We still finished 8th, had we managed to keep Hylton and got another decent forward in (Taylor coming in then would have been ideal) we make the play offs.
Yes, of course their loss was not the reason we didn't go up, but MApp's biggest mistake in my view was shredding a solid foundation upon promotion. We brought some decent players in, no doubt, but having expected COD and Roofe to go, I was always surprised that MApp let those 3 go as well. If years of playing Championship Manager 2001/02 have taught me anything, it is that getting promoted and not keeping hold of the core members of you promotion-gaining squad will not stand you in good stead.

But yes, bringing Matty Taylor in that summer would have been a tasty bit of work, as Thomas and Hemmings were not up to it.

Yes, of course their loss was not the reason we didn't go up, but MApp's biggest mistake in my view was shredding a solid foundation upon promotion. We brought some decent players in, no doubt, but having expected COD and Roofe to go, I was always surprised that MApp let those 3 go as well. If years of playing Championship Manager 2001/02 have taught me anything, it is that getting promoted and not keeping hold of the core members of you promotion-gaining squad will not stand you in good stead.

But yes, bringing Matty Taylor in that summer would have been a tasty bit of work, as Thomas and Hemmings were not up to it.

Could be said that when we got promoted out of the conference we kept hold of the likes of Creighton, Clist, Bulman during our 1st season back in the EFL, I do remember when it went horribly wrong at Bradford we lost 5-0 all goals coming in the 2nd half & that was the end for them, many times under Wilder he liked to use the emergency loan window during that period (when the actual Transfer Window closed in the Aug/Jan periods) he brought in McLean McLaren & Butcher in straight afterwards.

Wright would of been a good squad player that season Nelson was an upgrade in that summer but Aaron Martins was a massive downgrade/disaster, as for Hylton he should of been offered a better deal at that time Luton benefited from him scoring a load of goals for them over 2/3 seasons whilst we had an uninspiring Hemmings asmissed out on Taylor + Thomas leading our attack

(Also to note on Taylor at the time I know for a fact he wanted a low release clause built in to his contract if he was to sign for us in 2016 Bristol Rovers agreed to that Oxford wouldn’t hence why 6 months later he left for Bristol City for only £300k)

Could be said that when we got promoted out of the conference we kept hold of the likes of Creighton, Clist, Bulman during our 1st season back in the EFL, I do remember when it went horribly wrong at Bradford we lost 5-0 all goals coming in the 2nd half & that was the end for them, many times under Wilder he liked to use the emergency loan window during that period (when the actual Transfer Window closed in the Aug/Jan periods) he brought in McLean McLaren & Butcher in straight afterwards.

Wright would of been a good squad player that season Nelson was an upgrade in that summer but Aaron Martins was a massive downgrade/disaster, as for Hylton he should of been offered a better deal at that time Luton benefited from him scoring a load of goals for them over 2/3 seasons whilst we had an uninspiring Hemmings asmissed out on Taylor + Thomas leading our attack

(Also to note on Taylor at the time I know for a fact he wanted a low release clause built in to his contract if he was to sign for us in 2016 Bristol Rovers agreed to that Oxford wouldn’t hence why 6 months later he left for Bristol City for only £300k)

We lit Bulman go, he went on to play for another 25 years or something, Wilder says it’s his biggest regret alongside assistant referees being allowed to eat sandwiches in front of premier league managers.

Bulman was already gone by that Bradford game, and Clist didn't play in it.....he actually got back into the team immediately after it and then had a run of games.
But yeah, it was the end of the line for Creighton.....and probably fair enough. If anyone was built to be a Conference CB, it was him!

I think the problem in 2010/11 was less that we kept too many players from the conference side, and more that the players we brought in over the summer weren't good enough (Heslop, Asa Hall, Worley, Josh Payne, Danny freakin' Philliskirk.......). It wasn't until Wilder went back to market a second time that he got the players we needed to get us clear of the scrap (McLean, McLaren)

We lit Bulman go, he went on to play for another 25 years or something, Wilder says it’s his biggest regret alongside assistant referees being allowed to eat sandwiches in front of premier league managers.
He went on to make another 350+ Pro appearances before retiring aged 43

surely a club in a relegation battle didn’t allow him to leave whilst replacing him with some shite Hull loan lad?
It was Doidge from Hibs who replaced Taylor at FGR. They didn’t sign anyone from Hull.
I think curlywurly means when Taylor was allowed to leave here, in that unbelievable last minute loan deal to Vale. Nothing to do with Taylor at FGR

Back
Top Bottom