Ex Player Mark Sykes goes to Bristol City.

Yes but that's not really my point, a brilliant 4-1 win at Kassam is a lot of fun, a serviceable 0-0 at SB might be less exciting. I expect some people didn't go to the Manor when we were good, as it wasn't posh.
I'd rather be average at SB than average at Kassam. We have to back ourselves as a football club, new stadium, more ambition, let the good times roll again.

I'd rather be average at SB than average at Kassam. We have to back ourselves as a football club, new stadium, more ambition, let the good times roll again.

I’d rather be s**t at a world class stadium than average at the Kassam tbh! There’s more to oufc than just the 90 minutes on the pitch.

Have enjoyed watching Sykes develop over the last three years and he’s done well for the club. Provided many thrilling dramatic moments. (And yes, had some stinkers as well.) Find this mini slagfest a bit sad to be honest.

Wish him well whatever he decides to do. He’s good enough for the Championship and that’s where I guess he’ll be playing.

I’d rather be s**t at a world class stadium than average at the Kassam tbh! There’s more to oufc than just the 90 minutes on the pitch.
Well that's probably right - but I was saying that he'd missed a lot of great games this season which were enjoyable despite the stadium.

Have enjoyed watching Sykes develop over the last three years and he’s done well for the club. Provided many thrilling dramatic moments. (And yes, had some stinkers as well.) Find this mini slagfest a bit sad to be honest.

Wish him well whatever he decides to do. He’s good enough for the Championship and that’s where I guess he’ll be playing.
There's no evidence to suggest that yet. It's a matter of wait and see. I thought Whyte would be good enough for the Championship.

Sykes, from his very first interview RadOx post-match interview, has been a man who wants to progress to the highest level. In that interview, he said (and my memory is lacking for a verbatim quote) that Oxford was a stepping stone or at least he strongly implied it. I remember thinking how alike it was to Joe Rothwell’s Yellow Player interview, when he actually did say we were a stepping stone.

It’s a poor choice of words because it will almost certainly be used against them, but we all have to remember that these guys aren’t fans, it’s their job and we (and the club) have no issue tossing players away it suits us.

The similarities with Rothwell don’t end there. Like Sykes, he was a player that only shone in patches and never really seemed to settle, make a position his own or really hit it off with the fans. I was amazed that he went up a division. He’s done very well at that level and perhaps Sykes will do similarly.

Very few, if any, of us really know the players. We see Sykes’ apparent indifference to the fans as a snub or arrogance but perhaps it’s not that at all. Not every player is a Matty Taylor, Cameron Brannagan or Ryan Ledson.

While I think we’ve played our best football when Sykes has been on the pitch, his likely exit doesn’t represent a major blow, at least not to me. I think we can replace him, but it will cost more than he currently costs us.

Good luck to him.
Far to measured for this forum.

So ….. no, he’s not going to give any youth players a chance.

Don't the youth players have to be registered in the squad, I know they don't count towards the squad cap but they still have to be registered to play a league game? Also I get what Robbo is saying that for the rest of the league you have to respect it and put out a strong side and go for the win.

Not sure I get the 'respect for the rest of the league' thing TBH. If we beat Doncaster 10-0 we aren't going to get in the top 6 and they do the same to us they aren't going to get out of the bottom 4. The most that could happen would be that we'd drop a place (but if it was us doing playing the youngsters that's our look out) or Doncaster might go up a place but still be relegated.

Having said that, I'd actually like us to play a strong side because I'd like us to be able to show our appreciation for the players who have produced an enjoyable (if ultimately frustrating) season.

Not sure I get the 'respect for the rest of the league' thing TBH. If we beat Doncaster 10-0 we aren't going to get in the top 6 and they do the same to us they aren't going to get out of the bottom 4. The most that could happen would be that we'd drop a place (but if it was us doing playing the youngsters that's our look out) or Doncaster might go up a place but still be relegated.

Having said that, I'd actually like us to play a strong side because I'd like us to be able to show our appreciation for the players who have produced an enjoyable (if ultimately frustrating) season.

I think personally we put out our strongest 11 of players who are contracted for next season or ones we wish to keep. A healthy win will make people hungry to purchase season tickets where a loss against an already relegated team won't. The club should of advertised season tickets already so they could of advertised at the Doncaster game but it seems like we're always late to the party when it comes to marketing, same with the replica shirts not being available for the first league game. Sort it out !

The club should of advertised season tickets already so they could of advertised at the Doncaster game but it seems like we're always late to the party when it comes to marketing, same with the replica shirts not being available for the first league game. Sort it out !

Just don't mention transfers.

Back
Top Bottom