General Manager Sack Watch

Just seen Kip leaving KFC Greenwich in a suit 😯

Looked like he was sulking.

Unsure whether he's been rejected by Salmon pants, or whether it's his normal expression.

The best manager in League 1 has been appointed manager of league 1 league 2 Forest Green Rovers.

Poor old Kip, he is going to get confused over who he should be following every Saturday at this rate, or will you take it in turns between Charlton & FGR @greatunclekip?

Paul Hirst has also gone back to Shrewsbury.

At least under Mapps, you could see there was a plan on how he wanted to play. Despite the early set backs.
There was not a plan for the first few months.
I am not sure that anybody would have said that there was a plan when we lost 4 0 at Cambridge, or when everybody on here was worried about relegation to the Conference ( and something like 80% on here wanted him sacked). I can't recall anybody suggesting ' at least we can see a plan'!!

I am not sure that anybody would have said that there was a plan when we lost 4 0 at Cambridge, or when everybody on here was worried about relegation to the Conference ( and something like 80% on here wanted him sacked). I can't recall anybody suggesting ' at least we can see a plan'!!

You could see what he was trying to do, and he got lumps of abuse from all three sides of the ground. Even whilst he stood there looking lost on the touch line. He took it like a man, and slowly managed to get things running. The rest is history.

The problem on this forum, is that so many people wanted Buckingham, that anyone that challenges him being here. Is immediately shot down.

I still think the job needed someone with EFL experience. Des for me isn’t the man to deliver the goods. For me the appointment was made, because the powers that be don’t want us to go up just yet. I think they would rather see us go up with a shiny new stadium.

You could see what he was trying to do, and he got lumps of abuse from all three sides of the ground. Even whilst he stood there looking lost on the touch line. He took it like a man, and slowly managed to get things running. The rest is history.

The problem on this forum, is that so many people wanted Buckingham, that anyone that challenges him being here. Is immediately shot down.

I still think the job needed someone with EFL experience. Des for me isn’t the man to deliver the goods. For me the appointment was made, because the powers that be don’t want us to go up just yet. I think they would rather see us go up with a shiny new stadium.
What he (Appleton) tried to do was get players in league two to play like Arsenal in their pomp, once he learned that wasn't going to work, after the Cambridge hammering, he changed tack. Give Des time, he may not have the league one experience you crave but on the other hand with someone with no experience of league one, as you put it, he's doing alright. If this is Des with no league one experience then I'm looking forward to the day he gets that experience. Your last point I tend to agree with, in which case we may as well stick with Des and let him build for when 'the powers that be' are ready to go up.

I could have sworn we scored at Cambridge... Hilton

I could have sworn we scored at Cambridge... Hilton
From what I remember, Hilton got the first goal of this televised game. We then conceded five goals, much to the amusement of my "so called" friends at the Shaldon club where I was watching the game. Following this mauling, Mapp said he knew what needed changing to the squad and brought in the players needed!

From what I remember, Hilton got the first goal of this televised game. We then conceded five goals, much to the amusement of my "so called" friends at the Shaldon club where I was watching the game. Following this mauling, Mapp said he knew what needed changing to the squad and brought in the players needed!

Shaldon beach is nice, went there last summer. Have to walk through that tunnel. Had a bite to eat at The Ness hotel I think it was.

You’re local to me then SDY - I’m in Dawlish

Wilder already losing the plot at Sheffield - apparently the fact that an assistant ref ate a sandwich in his presence is a sign of the disrespect referees have for Sheffield and leads to decisions against them...

What he (Appleton) tried to do was get players in league two to play like Arsenal in their pomp, once he learned that wasn't going to work, after the Cambridge hammering, he changed tack. Give Des time, he may not have the league one experience you crave but on the other hand with someone with no experience of league one, as you put it, he's doing alright. If this is Des with no league one experience then I'm looking forward to the day he gets that experience. Your last point I tend to agree with, in which case we may as well stick with Des and let him build for when 'the powers that be' are ready to go up.
Des has no EFL experience whatsoever. And he has previously managed a team at pub level standard.
His appointment remains a complete mystery.

Wilder already losing the plot at Sheffield - apparently the fact that an assistant ref ate a sandwich in his presence is a sign of the disrespect referees have for Sheffield and leads to decisions against them...

They were 0-4 down inside the first half. At home.

Last edited:
Nathan Jones announced as Charlton manager, interesting appoinment
They’ll be cock-a-hoop, no doubt.

He’s only been a success at Luton, though. Let’s hope he continues his barren streak.

Slightly off topic, but I had a gander at one of the Charlton forums and it was quite funny to see how unimpressed so many of them are with Ladapo. And there was me thinking he was the answer to all our prayers, after all, the experts on here said he would be.

They’ll be cock-a-hoop, no doubt.

He’s only been a success at Luton, though. Let’s hope he continues his barren streak.

Slightly off topic, but I had a gander at one of the Charlton forums and it was quite funny to see how unimpressed so many of them are with Ladapo. And there was me thinking he was the answer to all our prayers, after all, the experts on here said he would be.
Was chatting with a friend who is an ITFC ST holder a while back about the possibility of him coming to OUFC. He was distinctly unimpressed with Ladapo, words to the effect that he wasn't interested. Of course, a new club can mean a fresh start, clean slate, etc, but it did sound as though there was a bit of an attitude issue, for whatever reason.

Nathan Jones announced as Charlton manager, interesting appointment

Brilliant at Luton twice.
Disaster at Stoke. And no better at Southampton, although they didn't exactly give him much time.
Seems like a roll of the dice, but with big potential upside

Not exactly an easy gig though.....coming into a club that's gone 14 without a win, and is now only three points above the drop (having played more games than anyone else down there). And no chance to bring in any of your own players, got to work with what you've got.

Not all that different from the situation that Manning faced with us last year.......

Good luck to him
Can’t help but wonder how he’d do if was still at Luton

Back
Top Bottom