Ex Player Luke McNally

Id be very surprised if any Prem club went for him, it will most likely be a top Championship club.

Will be sad to lose him but hopefully he gets a good club and we get a few quid

Rob Dickie has had interest from the PL but that has been off the back of some big cup games with us and a very decent 18 months at QPR. It takes an exceptional player to move from league 1 to the PL, and whilst Luke has done very well, he's not anywhere near that kind of level. As others have said, another good year with us and who knows?

Rob Dickie has had interest from the PL but that has been off the back of some big cup games with us and a very decent 18 months at QPR. It takes an exceptional player to move from league 1 to the PL, and whilst Luke has done very well, he's not anywhere near that kind of level. As others have said, another good year with us and who knows?
I'm sure a good year in the Championship with us will raise his profile even more 😉

Ha! Yes but tbf it's not just one game. He looks the real deal. And he's got pace which always makes the biggest clubs sit up. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the really 'big' clubs bought him and then loaned him back for a season. He's basically come from nowhere (I think he was a student just over a year ago, combined with playing for St Pats) but he's an athlete, and the rest can be coached. What I really like about him is that he bullies attackers. Moore doesn't really, Dickie did, Atkinson didn't at all. And he's really quick. Be really interested to see what happens. Like you, I hope we keep him for another couple of seasons, but I'm not holding my b
Yes agreed. He has all of the attributes and I reckon will be a lot better than Atkinson.
I would still wonder why a top 10 PL club would go for him now.
He still is incredibly inexperienced, and I reckon another season at Oxford and then go to a top half Championship team (like Dickie) would be a good option for him

Far too early to be talking about the Premiership, but if he keeps working hard the sky is the limit.
Looked impressive, but hasn't come up against any high-level attackers yet. Let's remember Rob Dickie, our shining star of that season, getting rinsed repeatedly against Man City in the cup.
The fact that he has done all this as a first year pro and following the death of a close friend makes it all the more impressive. Am enjoying watching him a lot.

I didn’t go on Saturday so I’ve only just seen his highlights on Twitter, he really is incredibly fast for someone of his size, I am not sure he’s technically as good of a dribbler as Dickie or Atkinson but neither of them had hismix off speed, size and strength

Far too early to be talking about the Premiership, but if he keeps working hard the sky is the limit.
Looked impressive, but hasn't come up against any high-level attackers yet. Let's remember Rob Dickie, our shining star of that season, getting rinsed repeatedly against Man City in the cup.
The fact that he has done all this as a first year pro and following the death of a close friend makes it all the more impressive. Am enjoying watching him a lot.
I disagree on your point about him being as good a dribbler as Dickie. I think Dickie's range of passing was certainly better but for me he always looked a little clumsy when carrying the ball out. Atkinson & McNally look a lot more balanced and natural when travelling with the ball.

Let's be honest, the quality of a centre half's dribbling is not the most important skill!

Atkinson was undoubtedly better at it than Dickie.....but Dickie was by far the better defender. Better in the air, tougher, more imposing - Dickie could dominate the box, whereas Atkinson was always a good ball-playing CB who was acceptable defensively.

It's early days yet, but McNally looks like he could be much more in the Dickie mould.
Except......he's also a lot quicker than Dickie. I think the lack of pace probably limits Dickie's ceiling (in the modern game) to upper Championship/lower Premier League. McNally won't have that limitation.

Although we're a long way from that yet. I genuinely believe he would be best served by spending another year with us as first choice CB.
(though if a PL team wants to pay 10 million for him, and then loan him back to use, I won't complain). 😁

Let's be honest, the quality of a centre half's dribbling is not the most important skill!

Atkinson was undoubtedly better at it than Dickie.....but Dickie was by far the better defender. Better in the air, tougher, more imposing - Dickie could dominate the box, whereas Atkinson was always a good ball-playing CB who was acceptable defensively.

It's early days yet, but McNally looks like he could be much more in the Dickie mould.
Except......he's also a lot quicker than Dickie. I think the lack of pace probably limits Dickie's ceiling (in the modern game) to upper Championship/lower Premier League. McNally won't have that limitation.

Although we're a long way from that yet. I genuinely believe he would be best served by spending another year with us as first choice CB.
(though if a PL team wants to pay 10 million for him, and then loan him back to use, I won't complain). 😁
TBH the dribbling, though impressive, was getting a bit annoying on Saturday. Each of our centre halves got bored at various times and went on mazy runs. I think these should be the exception rather than the rule!

TBH the dribbling, though impressive, was getting a bit annoying on Saturday. Each of our centre halves got bored at various times and went on mazy runs. I think these should be the exception rather than the rule!
It seemed a bit of a tactic to me. Once they got past the first half hearted attempt from the striker then the game opened up massively and it wouldn't be a surprise for us to have scored as a result of it. If he has to just defend all game that's fine but if other teams are set up in a way that McNally carrying the ball out will open them up then we'd be mad to tell him not to do it.

Dickie’s most useful (non-defensive) skill was his ability to pass forward through the lines, often after one of his bursts. He has a tremendous ability to quickly turn defence into attack.

Neither Atkinson or McNally (yet) can match that.

Why? Sheff Utd under Wilder used it as a deliberate tactic all the way to PL and used it there as well. As long as players cover, it isn't a problem.

Why? Sheff Utd under Wilder used it as a deliberate tactic all the way to PL and used it there as well. As long as players cover, it isn't a problem.
Yes that's true. I'm just nervous about us letting in even more goals and putting ourselves under unnecessary pressure.

You object to open, free flowing attacking football when the opportunity presents itself ?
Both Long and McNally took the ball to the edge of the Burton area, what an option to have when the team is best known for its passing football and is often criticised for over elaborating it’s build up play.

Dickie’s most useful (non-defensive) skill was his ability to pass forward through the lines, often after one of his bursts. He has a tremendous ability to quickly turn defence into attack.

Neither Atkinson or McNally (yet) can match that.
In fact, he this to us in the match at Loftus Road earlier this season. And scored.

Back
Top Bottom