EPL Liverpool 7(seven) Manchester United 0

The Oxford Mail did really well to get that address. Shame they decided to ruin it all.
TIU was a great site, until lack of moderation meant it was infiltrated by a bunch of right wing extremists who had previously polluted a similar site in Brighton. I remember 'Rizla' was a particularly odious contributor.

I like the way Nick Harris often refers to the two Oxford clubs as United and City.

It's all about context. If the two Manchester clubs are playing each other in a derby match, saying 'City' and 'United' is fine with me. It's a shorthand for which club you're referring to. Likewise, if we're actually playing Bristol Rovers, it's ok to use the shorthand of 'Rovers'.

Outside of that, house style should be full club names, the accepted shortened form (eg, Man United, QPR, FGR), the identifier that is unique to that club only (eg, Wednesday, Argyle) or - if the club doesn't share its geographical name with another well-established club - the city/town name (eg, Newcastle, Sunderland, Yeovil, Exeter - all fine. Sheffield, Manchester, Bristol, Notts/Nottingham - not allowed).

That clear?

TIU was a great site, until lack of moderation meant it was infiltrated by a bunch of right wing extremists who had previously polluted a similar site in Brighton. I remember 'Rizla' was a particularly odious contributor.
Are we looking for more mods for the "in the news" section then?

Watched quite a lot of this game yesterday. About my third or fourth Premier League game of the season.

And I have to say, whenever I watch a Premier League game these days, I always have the same two thoughts:

1) The average skill level on show is absolutely out of this world. Yes, I'm usually used to watching League One football, but I'm convinced that the general quality of the top division has gone up dramatically over the past decade. Used to be that there were a couple of great players on show, and then a bunch of players with good mental and physical traits. Now it seems like just about everyone can ping an inch-perfect fifty yard pass, or bring it out of the air like it's nothing.

2) Every game I watch, both teams are playing an incessant high press, and every game both teams still insist on messing around with it at the back with short passes that go nowhere until someone (often the keeper) ****s up. Alisson got away with it yesterday (because Fernandes decided on the dramatic swan dive, rather than actually trying to stay on his feet and score) but I understand he didn't in midweek against Madrid. So many goals seem like they're being given away because the consensus theory is that possession above all else is what's important. I guess it's analytics or somat.......

Watched quite a lot of this game yesterday. About my third or fourth Premier League game of the season.

And I have to say, whenever I watch a Premier League game these days, I always have the same two thoughts:

1) The average skill level on show is absolutely out of this world. Yes, I'm usually used to watching League One football, but I'm convinced that the general quality of the top division has gone up dramatically over the past decade. Used to be that there were a couple of great players on show, and then a bunch of players with good mental and physical traits. Now it seems like just about everyone can ping an inch-perfect fifty yard pass, or bring it out of the air like it's nothing.

2) Every game I watch, both teams are playing an incessant high press, and every game both teams still insist on messing around with it at the back with short passes that go nowhere until someone (often the keeper) ****s up. Alisson got away with it yesterday (because Fernandes decided on the dramatic swan dive, rather than actually trying to stay on his feet and score) but I understand he didn't in midweek against Madrid. So many goals seem like they're being given away because the consensus theory is that possession above all else is what's important. I guess it's analytics or somat.......

The prem is a world league now, ridiculously high level as every team can afford to pay wages which only the biggest teams in football can compete with. You could argue that the championship is really the top level of English football now, we just happen to host the biggest and richest league in the world one step above it. Add that into how much sport science has moved on and footballers are now so much fitter and faster (hardly any slow, tubby players anymore, certainly not in the top flight) and you have a level of football being played that sometimes looks a different sport to league one.

I find it hard to understand when we are all 'Oxford' supporters how some are overjoyed that Liverpool tonked 'Manchester' United. I'm neutral when it comes to the Premier league but let's not forget that we lost a place in European competition after we won the Milk Cup, because of Liverpool .
Just saying!!

I find it hard to understand when we are all 'Oxford' supporters how some are overjoyed that Liverpool tonked 'Manchester' United. I'm neutral when it comes to the Premier league but let's not forget that we lost a place in European competition after we won the Milk Cup, because of Liverpool .
Just saying!!
Well because much as we support Oxford, many of us aren't that keen on Man U or their armchair supporters. As quite a lot of people showed by agreeing with my previous comment - that doesn't really mean we are 'overjoyed' that it was Liverpool who did the tonking! Ideally both of them would have lost...

I can remember our 6-0 drubbing at Anfield, 4-0 the year after then just 2-0........ if we had hung in Div 1 for another year we might have got a point. :)

I can remember our 6-0 drubbing at Anfield, 4-0 the year after then just 2-0........ if we had hung in Div 1 for another year we might have got a point. :)
Yes, that's what I thought. If it is 6 one year, then 4, then 2, then we won't let in any the next year - which was kind of true!
Still we got he 2-2 at home which was a memorable occasion.

Back
Top Bottom