Ex-Staff Liam Manning

Absolutely not up for this! That mindset is so lazy it's untrue. Sentimental appointments need to have no business with the process of us appointing a new manager.

We do not need to 'settle' for someone just because they are a club legend. We are in a better place than that and the infrastructure is there for us to attract a really outstanding candidate. It is now on Grant, Tim et all to carry out a proper recruitment process and identify the very best person for our club.
Thought they'd already done that six months ago .. apparently....??

He kept us up and has certainly got some existing players playing better. Whether any halfway competent manager could have done the same after Robinson's complete dereliction of duty last season is something we will never know. Personally, I think it's certainly possible (he didn't exactly suddenly turn us into world beaters).

Neither do we know how much the good recruitment over the summer was due to him - but you'd have to think at least some of it.

What we do know is that he has done half a job. The strike force is in severe need of bolstering in January, we are light on the right hand side (and possibly overloaded on the left when Browne and Edwards are back) and the current three at the back formation looks creaky. I am pretty amazed that Bristol Rovers have (apparently) taken a punt on him, looking at his record. It seems like the managerial equivalent of signing Deane Smalley because he had one good half season (and we know how that worked out!).

If he stays, then fine - he can try to finish what he started. If he leaves, and especially if he takes his coaching staff with him, he will have got us to a certain level only to endanger all of that progress.

Here's hoping Manning is using this as a negotiating position to stay with more finances both in terms of contract and spending power, as he's clearly read too many forum posts about how we need an expensive striker.

In all seriousness, if it is almost a 'done deal' I hope Oxford are playing hardball over the release of his coaching staff. Was written Manning had a release clause, no mention about the likes of Hogg and co.

He kept us up and has certainly got some existing players playing better. Whether any halfway competent manager could have done the same after Robinson's complete dereliction of duty last season is something we will never know. Personally, I think it's certainly possible (he didn't exactly suddenly turn us into world beaters).

Neither do we know how much the good recruitment over the summer was due to him - but you'd have to think at least some of it.

What we do know is that he has done half a job. The strike force is in severe need of bolstering in January, we are light on the right hand side (and possibly overloaded on the left when Browne and Edwards are back) and the current three at the back formation looks creaky. I am pretty amazed that Bristol Rovers have (apparently) taken a punt on him, looking at his record. It seems like the managerial equivalent of signing Deane Smalley because he had one good half season (and we know how that worked out!).

If he stays, then fine - he can try to finish what he started. If he leaves, and especially if he takes his coaching staff with him, he will have got us to a certain level only to endanger all of that progress.
Like with any business, it’s not always down to one person for it to be successful even though some get bonuses (bigger ones too) with others being put on a Personal Improvement Plan (PIP), also known as the bell curve or the 80/10/10 rule 80% meeting their objectives, 10% exceeding it (bigger bonus) with the other 10% not meeting expectation (put on a PIP with no bonus). Because I’m shite with words/bullshit I tend to fall into the latter box, unlike Scotchegg!

Nor Lincoln if it applies in the league.
Good point. So he could be the first Oxford manager to get a red card three games before he left. Or the first manager Oxford manager to get a red card in his last home league game.

I love made up records. I recently heard a podcast that stated that Haaland was the youngest player to score 27 goals in the Champions League!

Last edited:
Good point. So he could be the first Oxford manager to get a red card three games before he left. Or the first manager Oxford manager to get a red card in his last home league game.

I love made up records. I recently heard a podcast that stated that Haaland was the youngest player to score 37 goals in the Champions League!
Yeah, yours!

What will everyone's reactions be if - by some miracle - Manning doesn't go?

Given that we know nothing about the circumstances of any approach from any party involved, will people give him the benefit of the doubt or will he forever be a snake?

What will everyone's reactions be if - by some miracle - Manning doesn't go?

Given that we know nothing about the circumstances of any approach from any party involved, will people give him the benefit of the doubt or will he forever be a snake?
The longer this all drags on the more I’m starting to wonder if there’s been a hitch/u-turn by someone…

Win the next 10 games and all will be forgotten.

If true, and it's looking evermore likely, I am gutted. Objectively, he's perfectly entitled to to take a good offer to further his career and I can't think of any reason why he should reject it. At a more subjective level, I would feel very let down by a person whose words and actions don't match. He has given the consistent and strong impression that he is a man of his word and is committed to the future of the club.

The thing is, I don't know the full picture (like any of us) so inevitably risk falling in to making assumptions, never a good idea. What I won't do is join in with the 'reptilian references' as they are really distasteful.

I sincerely hope that this is another CamBran situation.

Back
Top Bottom