General League One Retained (Released) Lists 22/23

Cole Stockton has been a disappointment latter half of the season. Wonder if we could sign him and get the best out of him

There's going to be plenty of players available, it's up to Manning and Waldron to put a list together and work on incomings, god knows we need a few!

Cole Stockton has been a disappointment latter half of the season. Wonder if we could sign him and get the best out of him
He gave Morecambe a lifeline with 7 goals in the last 4 games so not sure about that statement.

He was probably a bit disappointed nobody paid his asking price after 23 goals last season (3 more than Matty I will add) but he still came through with 11 this year despite being in and out of the team after refusing to sign a new contract (understandably).

He’s the kind of unglamorous signing we’ve needed for a while and having just turned 29, he’s got plenty to give. I’d have taken him 2 years ago, I’d have taken him last summer and I’d definitely take him now, for free, with 4 strikers required.

If he is free. The talk was a big transfer fee earlier this season. He would certainly provide some experience up front. Need at least two strikers in the incoming list of players joining.

Sheffield Wednesday have announced 7 departures

Marvin Johnson among those offered new contracts
Think we've been interested in Heneghan before, potentially before he joined Wednesday? Sounds like he impressed there but had a bad injury of sorts

I’d certainly take Adeniran

The style of player we've needed for years, very similar to Panutche Camara - big, strong, pacy ball carrier who moves you up the pitch quickly (remains to be seen if McGuane can yet become that player if someone can encourage and give him the confidence to drive and carry - I'm far from convinced).

However, despite his qualities, for me Adeniran would command too high a wage and probably play too few games. Reckon he'll go somewhere like Bolton - start 23 games, excel in 3 of them - and all for £8k-£10k a week.

If we can find this type of player but from a level or two below (half the wages, higher percentage of game time) then I'd be genuinely delighted.

The style of player we've needed for years, very similar to Panutche Camara - big, strong, pacy ball carrier who moves you up the pitch quickly (remains to be seen if McGuane can yet become that player if someone can encourage and give him the confidence to drive and carry - I'm far from convinced).

However, despite his qualities, for me Adeniran would command too high a wage and probably play too few games. Reckon he'll go somewhere like Bolton - start 23 games, excel in 3 of them - and all for £8k-£10k a week.

If we can find this type of player but from a level or two below (half the wages, higher percentage of game time) then I'd be genuinely delighted.
Agree with all of this. I’d add you do need a seriously good holding player to accommodate Adeniran or a player like him though. Been shifted to wing back lately for that reason.

What would be nice is to have a progressive player like that as an option, even if it’s off the bench sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom