Local News Lamb and Flag St. Giles- 'saved'

Last edited:
Great news about the Lamb and Flag. My grandad worked behind the bar when I was young. Many a happy hour spent there.

We are spoilt for choice for pubs in Oxford. A great combo of new (Tap Social, Rusty Bike, The Chester) and the traditional (Kings Head, Lamb and Flag). All great pubs. As a lad in Croydon the pub we went to, it's beer garden was under a flyover and you had to cross a busy road to get to it. Tricky carrying three pints of ale.

Great news about the Lamb and Flag. My grandad worked behind the bar when I was young. Many a happy hour spent there.
And along with The Dolly, the Lamb & Flag was one of my very underage drinking haunts back in the 80s. Haven't been there for 20 years now but fond memories!

We are spoilt for choice for pubs in Oxford. A great combo of new (Tap Social, Rusty Bike, The Chester) and the traditional (Kings Head, Lamb and Flag). All great pubs. As a lad in Croydon the pub we went to, it's beer garden was under a flyover and you had to cross a busy road to get to it. Tricky carrying three pints of ale.
There was a lot more too- sadly not around any more.

A few decent ones still left in town though- a couple I like are
Three Goats Head, it is ( I believe) a Sam Smiths pub - an Art Deco building, just along from the Oxford Union on St Michael Street

Turf Tavern ... worth finding 'hidden ' down a couple of alleys near The Bridge of Sighs

Three Goats Head, it is ( I believe) a Sam Smiths pub - an Art Deco building, just along from the Oxford Union on St Michael Street

Turf Tavern ... worth finding 'hidden ' down a couple of alleys near The Bridge of Sighs
I only discovered the Turf Tavern last year, after 12 or so years of drinking in/around Oxford city. Absolutely loved it - Henry Weston on tap. Unbeatable character. And no students!

I only discovered the Turf Tavern last year, after 12 or so years of drinking in/around Oxford city. Absolutely loved it - Henry Weston on tap. Unbeatable character. And no students!

Have to say, my mind is absolutely blown that someone could drink in Oxford for over a decade, and never go to the Turf! Surely it's one of Oxford's most iconic buildings (not just pubs, buildings!)? Where Bill Clinton 'smoked but did not inhale' a joint.....the Australian Prime Minister set a Guinness World Record for the fastest ever yard of ale.....where Richard Burton proposed to Elizabeth Taylor (how many of these stories are true, I don't know, but they are certainly legends). A 600+ year old pub that's actually still a pretty great place to drink.

Whenever anyone asks me what they should do in Oxford the first time they visit, my answer is always "Go to a couple of colleges, wander down Broad to see the Sheldonian, Bodleian and Radcliffe Camera, and go to the Turf and the Bear"

(I would typically also have recommended the Bird and Baby as well for the literary history......but only if you go at an unpopular time and could get a seat in the front rooms. The back of the pub was pretty blah. Still glad to hear it might be coming back........)

Though I did spend about a decade of my life drinking in as many different pubs as possible......so my views on the city might be a bit warped......

Embarrassingly I've lived in Oxford for 15 years and I have never been to the Goats Head. Every time I walk by it I think I have to try it. This is very controversial and I dont mind get shouted at for this but I actually like Brewdog on Cowley Road - although it wouldnt make the top five in the area I was there the other night and it was good.

Getting ahead of myself here but when the new ground opens I'll be going by train from Oxford station up to parkway. I'm trying to work out where to grab a pint on the way.

[QUOTE="Eric Blair, post: 757941, member: 739This is very controversial and I dont mind get shouted at for this but I actually like Brewdog on Cowley Road - although it wouldnt make the top five in the area I was there the other night and it was good.

[/QUOTE]
James Street Tavern just off the Cowley Road is decent.

[QUOTE="Eric Blair, post: 757941, member: 739This is very controversial and I dont mind get shouted at for this but I actually like Brewdog on Cowley Road - although it wouldnt make the top five in the area I was there the other night and it was good.
[/QUOTE]
as is The Library ( ex Brickworks, before that Rats Hole)

[/QUOTE]
If I was doing a top five round there it would be (in nor order):

Rusty Bike
The Chester
The Magdalen
James St Tavern
(Maybe controversial) The Library

If I was doing a top five round there it would be (in nor order):

Rusty Bike
The Chester
The Magdalen
James St Tavern
(Maybe controversial) The Library
[/QUOTE]

I like The Library -esp with the beer 'garden' out the back too

I try not to remember the Headington to "Town" pub crawls......... don`t have to try too hard as its all a blur!
White Horse, Britt, Standard, Butchers, The Bell, Black Boy, White Hart (or reversed depending who was "out") then, depending how that went, we would then walk down to St Clements - Plasterers, Port Mahon, Oranges & Lemons, Cape of No Hope then into town with a curry at the Gate of India!

It was summer when I went, which might explain it. Wouldn't want to be too close to OU students so I'll keep out during school term times!

Wasn't it full of tourists then? They often think they've 'found' some hidden gem where their guidebooks and internet searches send them there despite it being probably the best-known pub in Oxford (The 'Bird notwithstanding).

It's been a fair old while since I drank in the Three Goat's Heads. Does Sam Smith pubs still have that unusual pricing? I'm sure I remember paying an unrounded number for a pint in there (£3.47 or something). The alpine lager in there was a favourite of mine.

I try not to remember the Headington to "Town" pub crawls......... don`t have to try too hard as its all a blur!
White Horse, Britt, Standard, Butchers, The Bell, Black Boy, White Hart (or reversed depending who was "out") then, depending how that went, we would then walk down to St Clements - Plasterers, Port Mahon, Oranges & Lemons, Cape of No Hope then into town with a curry at the Gate of India!
Anyone remember the Roebuck, Market Street?

Back
Top Bottom