Ex Player James Beadle

Had his poorest game for us, tonight. Lacked any presence when the ball came in from wide areas and looked nervous.

Championship ready, now? I’m not convinced.

To be honest he has been poor for the last 3 games.

The Northampton winner I would expect most keepers to come and punch it away.

Cambridge's goal was also a mix up at the back post that Beadle should of came out and claimed.

His kicking was awful this evening and shanked it out of play far more than Eastwood use to on a bad day.

Needs to be alot more commanding, with crosses coming into the box. The amount of crosses that come into the box tonight and hardly helped the defenders at all. The same at northampton too.

Could it be as simple as him needing more coaching?

Andy Goram initially thought that Alan Hodgkinson was a rubbish coach, until he found himself taking a higher line in a match like Hodgkinson had told him to. Then he came to realise that Hodgkinson was brilliant.

It takes confidence to come off one's line. Every instinct can tell you to stay on it. You also need the manager to reassure you that occasionally getting chipped is a price worth paying.

Beadle is lavishly talented, but it's no surprise if he's a work in progress. Maybe he's distracted, but this might simply be inexperience and growing pains.

Our manager was a keeper. Seems to me that it's his job to make this right and that he's got bloody good material to work with.

Finally, keepers just do have bad games sometimes. Terrifyingly, the cause isn't always obvious. It can just happen. The great Pat Jennings had a shocker at the Manor in 1984.

And you also realise that if he doesn’t move on next week he’s our goalie for the rest of the season.
Cut the youngster some slack, he’s been one of the players of the season so far.
He made a great save in the second half.
I think you're totally missing the point of my post, I was defending him in that he's only 19 and still learning.

I'd have no issues with him staying for the season, maybe direct your responses to those attacking him instead?

He wouldn’t get into a championship team would he, mainly because he probably isn’t good enough to be blunt, not yet anyway.
Oxford should be looking beyond Beadle now anyway, somebody who is going to be a bit more permanent.

If I had to be critical i would say that Beadle isn’t physically imposing enough and his game does become a bit ragged when he’s pressured. Some time in the gym wouldn’t go amiss.

Beadle didn't have a brilliant game yesterday, but if you give any team that number of easy crossing opportunities and 19 corners then any keeper is going to struggle. Especially a relatively slight 19 year old.

And you also realise that if he doesn’t move on next week he’s our goalie for the rest of the season.
Cut the youngster some slack, he’s been one of the players of the season so far.
People forget how good he's been this season. I think most keepers would have struggled with the amount of excellent crosses they put in.

I think the Derby players were doing everything they could do unsettle him, and according to at least one poster here he was also having a laser pointer shone in his eyes in the first half

The Beadle we saw earlier in the season would have been more confident coming for some of those crosses - especially the last goal which was very close to him

Makes me think that teams have sussed out a weakness and ping balls in at every opportunity.
Exactly Thomas. He's too slight in build to ever be able to play at a higher level. Bulk him up a bit and he's a "maybe ". He should have been more positive in our last 3 matches.

Yeah I realise that, it was the posts before yours I was answering to.

Beadle has been fantastic all season. An off day against the best team I've seen this season and a massively weakened team of our own and now he's not good enough.

He only played 9 professional games before this season and has been pretty much ever present this season, including 3 games in 6 days. He has also played for his country including all the additional travelling that comes with that.

Even if we put all the blame for our defeat on him (which is ridiculous), he had still won us far more points than the 3 we lost yesterday.

Beadle didn't have a brilliant game yesterday, but if you give any team that number of easy crossing opportunities and 19 corners then any keeper is going to struggle. Especially a relatively slight 19 year old.
Also,under Manning our defence was by and large rock solid .
That’s key for the ongoing confidence of any goalkeeper .
We don’t have that at the present time .
It’s not surprising that an inexperienced 19 year old has been affected .
You can see the same with Mills and Stevens .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom