Local News Headington Shark

It was renowned for showing some fairly radical films back in the day. I remember seeing a Japanese horror film (Onibaba), also The Trial and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as performed by the Inmates of Charenton Asylum under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade. (Surely the longest film title ever)? One of the few films I've ever walked out of after around half hour. Totally weird.
Wasn't it 'The Persecution and Assassination......' rather than the 'trial'? I went to see it in Bournemouth having taking some herbal 'medicine', for relaxation purposes of course- I went to sleep in the first half-hour and woke up sometime during the next showing.

However, there is a distinct chance none of this happened and it was an entirely different film, possibly the restored 5 hour plus version of Abel Gance's 1927 silent film 'Napoleon' with music by Carmine Coppola. I was quite obviously hoping to impress someone with my esoteric taste in arthouse films. My other memory of that is for the first half hour every time Napoleon said something a bloke at the front would start talking in a Kennneth Williams type voice. Hilarious for about 10 minutes but it went on for ages, much like the film.

I need to lie down now.

I stand corrected. You are quite right. Mind it has been Fifty odd years since then. The memory is not what it was. Still a weird film though.