General Greatest Ever OUFC Player

Most Standout Player of Their Generation (3 Votes)

• Cameron Brannagan

• James Constable

• Jim Magilton

• Joey Beauchamp

• John Aldridge

• John Lundstrum

• Kemar Roofe

• Matt Elliott

• Paul Simpson

• Trevor Hebbard

• Graham Atkinson

• Ray Houghton

• Ron Atkinson

Results are only viewable after voting.
Gary Briggs - untouchable, the hardest ever to play for the U's, weighed in with a few goals too. Of his era , wouldn't last 5 mins in today's football- mind you, cant recall him ever talking back to any referee
I remember Briggsy playing in a testimonial after he retired. It was again a very young Chelsea team. Problem was Briggsy only knew one way to play - big shock to the Chelsea youngsters. Silky skills don't count for much when you are up in the air working out the least painful way to land.

John Trewick had some great games for us.Malcolm Shotton didn’t let too many get past him…didn’t too that badly for us as manager either. The crowd gave him a great reception on the first game under his management

John Trewick had some great games for us.Malcolm Shotton didn’t let too many get past him…didn’t too that badly for us as manager either. The crowd gave him a great reception on the first game under his management
Never got the Shotton love in.

My best players in no particular order were; Aldridge, Elliott, Beauchamp, Brock, Hamilton, Langan, Briggs, G Baldock, B McDonald to name but a few!

Imagine if Lundstram happened to click on this thread, just to see how he’s faring in the poll 😬

I thought you'd empathise with him following your similar showing in the 'most popular poster' thread which ran the other year...
All those months spent in therapy, wasted after getting bodied like this.

Oof, you've absolutely done me there.

One of the very best players to appear in the yellow shirt was Colin Todd. It's a pity he played just a handful of games on loan. He played 27 times for England and it showed. He was a central defender who was only 5 foot 9 which shows you don't have to be a giant to play well in that position.

One of the very best players to appear in the yellow shirt was Colin Todd. It's a pity he played just a handful of games on loan. He played 27 times for England and it showed. He was a central defender who was only 5 foot 9 which shows you don't have to be a giant to play well in that position.
Run of games at the end of the 83/4 season. Can't remember why we brought him in, was there an injury to Shotton or Briggs?

All those months spent in therapy, wasted after getting bodied like this.

Oof, you've absolutely done me there.
Just remember, getting on the list in the first place was a victory in itself.

• Haha
Reactions: MJB
Run of games at the end of the 83/4 season. Can't remember why we brought him in, was there an injury to Shotton or Briggs?
not sure if there was an injury there maybe been - or perhaps it was a few games suspension ( likely Garry Briggs methinks ?) , memory is a bit hazy today- If it, me memory serves, Todd was bought in by Jimmy Smith to bring experience n teach a bit of top level know how with Briggs n Shotton, in preparation for the next season ( in the top flight)

Perryman was a similar short term player , and for similar reasons wasn't he?

not sure if there was an injury there maybe been - or perhaps it was a few games suspension ( likely Garry Briggs methinks ?) , memory is a bit hazy today- If it, me memory serves, Todd was bought in by Jimmy Smith to bring experience n teach a bit of top level know how with Briggs n Shotton, in preparation for the next season ( in the top flight)

Perryman was a similar short term player , and for similar reasons wasn't he?
The next season was in Division 2 I believe, I think Todd played in the Div 3 Championship side. Perryman was as we scrambled for survival in the top flight, I think he was in the 85/6 season, but was cup-tied for the Milk Cup Final?

Seems such a long time ago now...

Back
Top Bottom