General Full Backs

Our best run this season was with Sam Long as right back. But I guess that is a coincidence in your view?!
Misread your post first time so deleted but the point remains the same that Manning played Moore and Long in each others pockets which suited them both perfectly. They were given limited roles but if you choose to ignore that he was our weakest player during that spell then that’s up to you. It won’t surprise anyone.

The differential was the manager. No coincidence whatsoever.

Misread your post first time so deleted but the point remains the same that Manning played Moore and Long in each others pockets which suited them both.

The differential was the manager.

Can't recall you posting in support of Sam Long at the time? Must have missed that.

Can't recall you posting in support of Sam Long at the time? Must have missed that.
Yeah because he was still s**t 🤣🤣. Fed up of saying it.

Manning purely limited the damage he could do us by putting him situations he couldn’t fail - but he still did, regularly, fortunately in a team that was mentally bang at it and drilled like an army regiment so they knew how to react to errors. Beadle save him numerous times.

Yeah because he was still s**t 🤣🤣. Fed up of saying it.

Manning purely limited the damage he could do us by putting him situations he couldn’t fail - but he still did, regularly, fortunately in a team that was mentally bang at it and drilled like an army regiment so they knew how to react to errors. Beadle save him numerous times.

So the excellent run of results with Long at right back is a coincidence but the fairly average run of results with Anderson at right back is due to him being world class?!

Ooookkkkk!!

But fair play, I've not seen you make any positive comments about any player so it's nice that you make an exception for someone who has since left the club!

So the excellent run of results with Long at right back is a coincidence but the fairly average run of results with Anderson at right back is due to him being world class?!

Ooookkkkk!!

But fair play, I've not seen you make any positive comments about any player so it's nice that you make an exception for someone who has since left the club!
For all sorts of reasons, you’re being stupid about this and hilarious that you’ve previously accused me of being binary about things and then throw that rubbish at me.

In both instances they are just one player in a team of XI under different managers in different seasons with all sorts of other variables in play. But no run of results is down to just either one of them, but the team they were part of. You can assess what each one brought to that team but not compare. You can compare how Long and Djavan each faired in the same team under the same manager last season - how did that go?

It’s just common sense to me that when Djavan played last season, we were a more effective version of the s**t team we were and he was a notable contributor to what we did well and not often the culprit for when it went wrong. The reverse is true for Sam Long this season. He played his part in a much better organised and cohesive team but was very often the problematic member of it. Even on a day where he came through without a problem, he still looked the player most likely to cost.

Both can be true. You’re infatuated with him, that’s fine. I’m not. It’s just what I see.

I think Anderson was better at defending than his detractors say, but worse at attacking than his fans claim. He’d go on a run from the back and we’d all go oooh how skilful, then he’d lose it once he crossed the halfway line and we’d be immediately in danger. Part of that was probably because others didn’t fill in for him as you say, but I think also that teams had worked him out.
He didn't get a huge amount of goals or assists but by Christ he could beat a press which opens up space for the rest of the team, I like stats more than a lot of people but something like that is an intangible that you can't put a number on but absolutely makes you a better team. He would lose the ball sometimes of course which is why he'd work best with a midfielder switched on to cover him but it was a risk worth taking.

Another intangible was how that could energise a crowd. There's been plenty of talk about atmosphere and I don't think anyone could deny it's helped out when someone on the pitch actually does something.

He didn't get a huge amount of goals or assists but by Christ he could beat a press which opens up space for the rest of the team, I like stats more than a lot of people but something like that is an intangible that you can't put a number on but absolutely makes you a better team. He would lose the ball sometimes of course which is why he'd work best with a midfielder switched on to cover him but it was a risk worth taking.

Another intangible was how that could energise a crowd. There's been plenty of talk about atmosphere and I don't think anyone could deny it's helped out when someone on the pitch actually does something.
This is true , but I think his surprise value waned as other teams started to know what to expect. It is surprising he doesn’t have a club now though.

I don’t understand.

We had a much needed win and Sam Long had his most effective game for months on Saturday, albeit against a team that will be playing at his natural level next season (lg2). Yet poster(s) are still trying to create angst on here that isn’t there regarding Long, from what I’ve read over a long period of time, people are saying what they see in his performances.

He is a limited defender who has been a good servant to the club. He isn’t VERY good and will not go down in folklore. The constant need to try and defend him at all costs is quite bizarre, especially after he had a good game and we had a good win on Saturday - let’s stick together for the last few games, surely?

Anderson was crap.

Long is crap.

Stevens is a 20 year old, who’s having his first proper full loan so very inconsistent.

Right back is a position that needs addressing this summer.

Anderson was crap.

Long is crap.

Stevens is a 20 year old, who’s having his first proper full loan so very inconsistent.

Right back is a position that needs addressing this summer.
Surprised that anybody would say Anderson was crap but all entitled to a view. I’d be buzzing to see him back.

I think Stevens will go on and have a decent career in the EFL. There’s a player there - he strikes a ball as well as anybody at the club and his general play is very neat and tidy in the main. Defensively he’s far from polished it must be said. He’s a victim of the change in manager. He would’ve got time to develop in a well-drilled, regimented system but Desball is anything but and a player without the necessary experience will inevitably struggle, particularly in a vulnerable position such as full back.

I think he’s quite niche. Too niche perhaps. He’s caught between a right back and a right midfielder and had Manning transitioned us in to a team that played with wing backs as he did at MK, which may well have been the long term plan in mind when signing him, I think we’d have seen him at his very best. I’m surprised Brentford didn’t recall him in January and send him elsewhere in all honesty.

Surprised that anybody would say Anderson was crap but all entitled to a view. I’d be buzzing to see him back.

I think Stevens will go on and have a decent career in the EFL. There’s a player there - he strikes a ball as well as anybody at the club and his general play is very neat and tidy in the main. Defensively he’s far from polished it must be said. He’s a victim of the change in manager. He would’ve got time to develop in a well-drilled, regimented system but Desball is anything but and a player without the necessary experience will inevitably struggle, particularly in a vulnerable position such as full back.

I think he’s quite niche. Too niche perhaps. He’s caught between a right back and a right midfielder and had Manning transitioned us in to a team that played with wing backs as he did at MK, which may well have been the long term plan in mind when signing him, I think we’d have seen him at his very best. I’m surprised Brentford didn’t recall him in January and send him elsewhere in all honesty.

When you compare them to Rafferty at Pompey, Ward/Wilson at Derby, Dacres Cogley/Jones at Bolton, Kioso who was at Peterborough first half of this season, then it shows you how average/poor our options have been since Cadden moved on.

The way Des wants his wingers to play doesn't benefit more attacking-minded full backs like Leigh and Stevens.

Part of the reason we played so much better against Port Vale was that we had better 'defensive' defenders in behind Murphy and Dale.

Murphy - for all his attacking prowess - must be a nightmare to have in front of you as a full back; his tracking back leaves a lot to be desired, he can't head for toffee and his defensive positioning is almost non-existent (before anyone's knickers get in a twist, what he offers offensively outweighs all of that).

But I can see why both Long and Bennett came in to shore up the back line, and give Murphy and Dale even more license going forwards.

You wouldn’t play Anderson in a 4
Manning in possession, brought in Long
To make a 3, leaving Mills and Leigh to attack the width.

The way Des wants his wingers to play doesn't benefit more attacking-minded full backs like Leigh and Stevens.

Part of the reason we played so much better against Port Vale was that we had better 'defensive' defenders in behind Murphy and Dale.

Murphy - for all his attacking prowess - must be a nightmare to have in front of you as a full back; his tracking back leaves a lot to be desired, he can't head for toffee and his defensive positioning is almost non-existent (before anyone's knickers get in a twist, what he offers offensively outweighs all of that).

But I can see why both Long and Bennett came in to shore up the back line, and give Murphy and Dale even more license going forwards.

The biggest part of the reason was that Port Vale were utter shite tbf.

This is true , but I think his surprise value waned as other teams started to know what to expect. It is surprising he doesn’t have a club now though.
I don’t think teams worked him out, it’s just that he couldn’t attack as much when he was played at right back and therefore was limited. Best right wing back we’ve had at the club for a long time and I’d have him over anyone currently here in that position, but he wouldn’t work as a defensive player in Des’ current system.

Back
Top Bottom