Fan's View Fan's View 22/23 - No.9 - Cheltenham away

As always, spot on Paul. It wasn't a truly magnificent spectacle of football but we did win. That, at least made the drive home far easier!

"I’d moved early to get our tickets and was pleased to see that they’d been sold from the back of the stand first. It really annoys me when the early birds get a poxy front row view."
This is something with which I can really emphasise. A couple of times in the past we've got in early and then found ourselves behind a pillar or right down at the front with a poor view. Bristol Rovers was one where we were practically on eye level with the pitch - saw b****r all.

Thanks Paul, a clinical assessment of our injury prone recruitment strategy. It's a massive and recurring miscalculation: "we can get players with injury history in cheap and they might suddenly become injury free". I think the last success along these lines might have been Dave Langan!

Thanks Paul, a clinical assessment of our injury prone recruitment strategy. It's a massive and recurring miscalculation: "we can get players with injury history in cheap and they might suddenly become injury free". I think the last success along these lines might have been Dave Langan!
But look at poor Langy now. Peter Leven? From Wiki, "Leven retired soon after joining Jarrow Roofing at the age of 29, having struggled throughout his career with knee problems." 59 games and 12 goals for us wasn't too bad.

But look at poor Langy now. Peter Leven? From Wiki, "Leven retired soon after joining Jarrow Roofing at the age of 29, having struggled throughout his career with knee problems." 59 games and 12 goals for us wasn't too bad.

I think medical/sports science has moved on in this regard and players are better informed. I certainly hope so anyway.

Believe the Henry hamstring ploy was to get the sub on and a bit if a break in play. Not sure as you were there in the "flesh" as it were

Bodin counts as one I think, though now he’s fit he doesn’t seem as exciting as we expected

I don't remember having problems with these "non-contact" injuries when Ken Fish was in charge of the medical department.

Last edited:
I’m sorry you didn’t completely enjoy your visit to our beautiful town, so a couple of words of advice. In choosing the garden cafe, you made a big mistake for the sake of convenience. And yes, the Sandford Park Alehouse is a cracker (and the bar billiards a nostalgic reminder of my native Abingdon) but 100 metres up the road is The Strand. A large collection of ales you would enjoy, intelligent bar service, plenty of space and a good beer garden.
As for the match, thank f**k we won because I couldn’t stand another year living here if we’d performed like last season. We were the better of two poor teams and - it’s depressing to say - our season has already gone tits up as a result of KR’s ridiculous transfer policy (whatever happens in the next few days). And by that I mean what should be a strong team sitting comfortably in the top four, is one struggling to get points against the weakest teams in the league. Those incoming injury risks are a travesty and, let’s face it, a gamble that hasn’t worked. That man is wasting good money and needs to be held to account by the men supplying it.
Now.

I’m sorry you didn’t completely enjoy your visit to our beautiful town, so a couple of words of advice. In choosing the garden cafe, you made a big mistake for the sake of convenience. And yes, the Sandford Park Alehouse is a cracker (and the bar billiards a nostalgic reminder of my native Abingdon) but 100 metres up the road is The Strand. A large collection of ales you would enjoy, intelligent bar service, plenty of space and a good beer garden.
As for the match, thank f**k we won because I couldn’t stand another year living here if we’d performed like last season. We were the better of two poor teams and - it’s depressing to say - our season has already gone tits up as a result of KR’s ridiculous transfer policy (whatever happens in the next few days). And by that I mean what should be a strong team sitting comfortably in the top four, is one struggling to get points against the weakest teams in the league. Those incoming injury risks are a travesty and, let’s face it, a gamble that hasn’t worked. That man is wasting good money and needs to be held to account by the men supplying it.
Now.
A lot more good than bad about the town. Just a couple of things of insignificance that shouldn't really annoy me but I get on edge pre-match. I'll note the Strand for next time, if / when there is a next time. Or perhaps I'll go to the races. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom