EPL EPL on Christmas Eve

Should games be played on Christmas Eve?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
We could find out, on Friday, whether the EPL will move "at least one fixture" to Christmas Eve.

I think this is a bad move, esp for fans who would rely on public transport or have family.

there really is nothing to do on xmas eve*, so why not

* the traditional blokes rushing round any shops that are open for an hour or so has been more wiped out by internet shopping

Didn't they used to play on Christmas Eve? Its got to be better than the night game between Xmas Day and NYD that seems to have creeped in.

A while- ok more than a few decades - ago there Used to be a full compliment of matches on Good Friday, Easter Saturday and Easter Monday - NO substitutes back then either

Games were also played on Xmas day up to about 1960's I think, morning KO so the 'wife can get on with the cooking'. Xmas eve games not for me or Xmas day both family days. Boxing day one of the best days of the season

Games were also played on Xmas day up to about 1960's I think, morning KO so the 'wife can get on with the cooking'. Xmas eve games not for me or Xmas day both family days. Boxing day one of the best days of the season
But a lot of people can't make Boxing Day games as they are away or doing Christmas things. You'll never please everyone.

Christmas Eve is a working day, Boxing day is a Bank Holiday. If we play Christmas Eve, our Boxing Day game gets moved, so a strong NO from me.

Apologies to those who work on Boxing Day.

EPL can do what they want. Sky control football anyway, see the Rotherham game today and when it was called off. If we ever get there will stress about it then but even if we do the chances of us being chosen on XE are minimal

Christmas Eve is a working day, Boxing day is a Bank Holiday. If we play Christmas Eve, our Boxing Day game gets moved, so a strong NO from me.

Yes I do agree, Boxing Day games are a good tradition even if I sometimes can't make them. No one really wants games on Christmas Eve, most people will be busy or lying low.

I don't get basketball at all, but the NBA now has a tradition of playing five games back-to-back on Christmas Day. Usually cherry-picked marquee matchups between the top teams as well.

So in America if you've got no family, or you just don't like them, you can watch basketball nonstop from Noon to 1am instead.

That's probably where the EPL is headed.......

I don't get basketball at all, but the NBA now has a tradition of playing five games back-to-back on Christmas Day. Usually cherry-picked marquee matchups between the top teams as well.

So in America if you've got no family, or you just don't like them, you can watch basketball nonstop from Noon to 1am instead.

That's probably where the EPL is headed.......

Someone once told me that Americans are not quite so big on Christmas as we are, they don’t start drinking at 8am and other beautiful traditions we have over here, is that true?

Christmas Eve is a Sunday this year, Sunday is traditionally for Super Sunday, so in fact it’s my in laws who are getting in the way of tradition and should just stay away.

Someone once told me that Americans are not quite so big on Christmas as we are, they don’t start drinking at 8am and other beautiful traditions we have over here, is that true?

Yeah, it's true. Halloween is a much bigger thing here, and then you have Thanksgiving on the 4th Thursday in November - which is probably even more of a drink too much/eat too much occasion here than Christmas. Shops don't really start filling up with Christmas tat until Black Friday (Nov 24th in 2023).....instead of mid-September like the UK.

That being said, there's always three NFL games on Thanksgiving as well; and New Year's Day is the big day for College Football. Sport is central to a lot of holidays around these parts!

Yeah, it's true. Halloween is a much bigger thing here, and then you have Thanksgiving on the 4th Thursday in November - which is probably even more of a drink too much/eat too much occasion here than Christmas. Shops don't really start filling up with Christmas tat until Black Friday (Nov 24th in 2023).....instead of mid-September like the UK.

That being said, there's always three NFL games on Thanksgiving as well; and New Year's Day is the big day for College Football. Sport is central to a lot of holidays around these parts!
Christmas day is a big day for the NBA, and some NFL games are played on the 25th now as well.

You work Sundays?

Think playing on the 23rd, 24th & 26th might stretch the squad a bit. :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom