General Elton John at Glasgow 23

Was EJ’s performance the best in recent years?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was working in Whites Bar when his first LP came out. Somebody bought it in and we played it.
The very next day I bought it. Brilliant first album.

They'd be fighting off Dave Grohl, who would definitely want to play drums.
I expect he would - he seemed to want to play with as many bands as possible at Glastonbury. I wonder how many times he has to do that before becoming a 'bloody nuisance' rather than a 'Special guest'!

With this vocal range and elasticity much diminished, he does have a tendency to sound a bit like Vic and Bob's pub singer on occasion but the band sounded great and it was only really the ballads where his limitations were noticeable. However, what an almost unrivalled catalogue of songs!

The pub singer line reminds me of this performance during lockdown. I watch it if I ever need to cheer myself up:

The pub singer line reminds me of this performance during lockdown. I watch it if I ever need to cheer myself up:

You can smirk all you like, but I’m Dill Dannon will forever be a classic song.

I expect he would - he seemed to want to play with as many bands as possible at Glastonbury. I wonder how many times he has to do that before becoming a 'bloody nuisance' rather than a 'Special guest'!

He is definitely becoming a bit of a parody of himself, the John Terry in full kit collecting trophies in games he hasn’t played in, doesn’t actually add much.

Watched the 3 headliners and a few other shows, actually quite enjoyed all 3 headliners for different reasons, I like the Artic Monkeys, not really a guns and roses fan but I enjoyed Slash and you would have to be a miserable git not to have taken a bit of joy from Elton’s last big hurrah in this country, although you could probably make a case of all 3 singers struggling in such a huge site, it’s an event rather than solely a music festival now and no one is likely to put the technical performance of their life in.

Looking at the crowds that attend Glastonbury I like the person who said it makes you think it’s a good time to go shopping at Waitrose, middle aged and middle class but who else could afford those prices and not sure it’s really appealing to “the kids” anymore anyway.

You can smirk all you like, but I’m Dill Dannon will forever be a classic song.

It is a great song, I suspect I'll still be playing it when I get back on up the P**s end of my life.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Looking at the crowds that attend Glastonbury I like the person who said it makes you think it’s a good time to go shopping at Waitrose, middle aged and middle class but who else could afford those prices and not sure it’s really appealing to “the kids” anymore anyway.
I feel really lucky to have just made it when Glastonbury was cheap enough for youngsters to attend. Solo and without begging parents for finance! I first went aged 16 in 2002, when tickets were under £100. It was me and one other mate (no one else was allowed to go) and apart from a few warm cans of lager, it was all about the music. I remember getting the bus to Shepton Mallet and then surviving on disgusting own brand pasties, two tubes of pringles and orange tango for the next five days. At that age it was like being on a different planet.

I remember promising each other we'd go every year. I did go four more times, up to 2009 (most being a great deal messier than my first one), but then the difficulty getting tickets, the expense and real world commitments got in the way. I've meant to go but I think the real killer is getting friends to commit and then organise buying tickets in the tiny window.

He was very careful to say this represented his last date so far as UK tours are concerned, rather than any actual retirement! I suspect the US won't have seen the last of him, maybe a Vegas residency is looming (I think he did one before)?

He did his supposed final tour of the US in 2022. Finished up with a big bash in LA.
Sold out Madison Square Garden for the 72nd time in his career on that tour (second all-time only to Billy Joel), which is pretty amazing for a geezer from Pinner.

I grew up listening to him because he was one of my Mum's favourites. Which meant that although I've never bought any of his music myself, I still knew all the words to just about his entire setlist!

Back
Top Bottom