Does the Oxford Mail WANT a new stadium?

The thing that the OM seems to ignore, is that a small bit of quality journalism with regard to OUFC would get some of the supporters to subscribe to the OM site.
With the club aiming high ( with the stadium and owners wanting promotion), this could grow revenues.
So rather than constantly cutting costs and quality, what about trying to grow revenues and improve things?
Or in the while scheme of things, this revenue irrelevant?

The thing that the OM seems to ignore, is that a small bit of quality journalism with regard to OUFC would get some of the supporters to subscribe to the OM site.
With the club aiming high ( with the stadium and owners wanting promotion), this could grow revenues.
So rather than constantly cutting costs and quality, what about trying to grow revenues and improve things?
it doesnt fit the Newsquest 'way' perhaps?

They are in declining industry. Newspaper revenues down, circulation numbers down, online visitor time on their sites are down. The only thing up is age profile of users.
The local rag no longer has a valued place in it's community.
Oxford Mail being US owned have gone down the USAToday approach to journalism. The long term future looks bleak for all of them.
The Mail is similar to most local newspapers, it no longer has a local importance it once had. As few as 25% get their news from printed newspapers but as they migrate to digital news sources the competition becomes greater and more focused.
Their slow adoption of digital media was a huge failure and whilst digital print technology means a newspaper can be printed very quickly it is no longer regarded as the primary source of news or advertising. They are literally falling down a digital black hole. They cut cost because revenues are falling, you cannot change a technological revolution. Their market is being squeezed on all fronts, I suspect OUFC news does not develop many new customers, I do accept it does maintain current ones though.

So many negative letters are being published on their website.

Since when has a readers letter made the top story on a news website?!

Look back at the comments on that article is amusing

Simon Thompson (who lives in Jericho) - "Stop The Lies. Stop The Stadium" the irony is utterly delicious 10 months down the line.

OUSP piece in today's Oxford Mail and online, to counter some of the recent sensationalist headlines. Clicks and comments will move it up the lists online so that more people see it.

OUSP piece in today's Oxford Mail and online, to counter some of the recent sensationalist headlines. Clicks and comments will move it up the lists online so that more people see it.

A great story!

Great but yet another pro football club piece in the sports section. That should be given exactly the same space as an article about 1 person being arrested at football, or the article about the pub fight in Reading.

Spewsquest want "make you angry" stories, its how they work and think it will gain them subscribers.

Their "journalism" is regurgitating stories from FB and other platforms.

Good local journalism as the OM was a long time ago is dead & buried.
I used to love the updates from the local leagues once a week (I think it was Thursdays) but they don’t even do them any more.

Long gone are the days of people like Jon Murray.

I used to love the updates from the local leagues once a week (I think it was Thursdays) but they don’t even do them any more.

Did he not get banned from the stadium when Kassam owned it? Or am I dreaming?

Good ol' Janine. She spoke well at the September OCC Cabinet meeting.

It continues to show that the back pages of the OM - who drive a lot of traffic to their clickbait factory 'news' pages - continue to be allies of the club. The rest is 'bad news generates clicks' or 'national news artificially pushed up to the 'most read' sections'.

Did he not get banned from the stadium when Kassam owned it? Or am I dreaming?

He did indeed! Kassam never did like people questioning him. 20 years on and he hasn’t changed.

Thursdays used to be Sunday league results, leagues and write up, used to play and know a load of players who played for other teams so I would always get it Monday and Friday for Oxford games and Thursday for that, don't even know if Sunday League football is a thing now though.

He did indeed! Kassam never did like people questioning him. 20 years on and he hasn’t changed.

The starkest change there is the quality of the OM article.

Clarification edit: in a general sense, not in relation to Janine's words!

Thursdays used to be Sunday league results, leagues and write up, used to play and know a load of players who played for other teams so I would always get it Monday and Friday for Oxford games and Thursday for that, don't even know if Sunday League football is a thing now though.
Just had a look now and the Upper Thames valley Sunday league is still going but only has 1 league with 12 teams in it.

Grass roots is dying out with less and less youngsters actually playing football. In Chester there used to be 5 leagues a few years ago but now they have had to join the West Cheshire leagues as teams got less and less.

However Vets football has taken off. Chester now has 4 vets leagues as opposed to just the 2 a few years ago as players who have always played on Saturdays want to carry on playing.

Just had a look now and the Upper Thames valley Sunday league is still going but only has 1 league with 12 teams in it.

Grass roots is dying out with less and less youngsters actually playing football. In Chester there used to be 5 leagues a few years ago but now they have had to join the West Cheshire leagues as teams got less and less.

However Vets football has taken off. Chester now has 4 vets leagues as opposed to just the 2 a few years ago as players who have always played on Saturdays want to carry on playing.

I think there are a lot more small sided games/competitions which are in the evenings etc rather than taking a big chunk of a day like local leagues required.

There was talk of 45 minute evening games leagues at one stage, with no limit rotational subs and something like 18 players in the squad . The idea being people could arrive later from work etc. Don't know if this has taken off anywhere though.

There is also growth of women's football as well.

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: m

When I played the Morrells Sunday league had 6 divisions, then you had at least a couple of other leagues in the county, the Sam waters cup had loads of entrants from all over the county. Different times now.

I think there are a lot more small sided games/competitions which are in the evenings etc rather than taking a big chunk of a day like local leagues required.

There was talk of 45 minute evening games leagues at one stage, with no limit rotational subs and something like 18 players in the squad . The idea being people could arrive later from work etc. Don't know if this has taken off anywhere though.
Sunday league kicked off at 10.30am so it didn't take all day, we were in the pub by 12.30.

Back
Top Bottom